Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millen Returns To Challenge 2004 Pikes Peak Hill Climb In Pontiac GTO
Class Record Holder to Run SCCA ProRally and Drift Up Legendary Mountain
by: RMR, Inc
UrbanRacer.com
6/15/2004

Making the transition from gravel to tarmac and back to gravel again, veteran rally driver and Formula Drift competitor Rhys Millen returns to take on Pikes Peak, the mountain that began his illustrious motorsports career over a decade ago. The 2004 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado also serves as part of the SCCA ProRally Series event, taking place June 24~26, 2004, in which Millen and Team RMR/Pontiac will campaign a highly modified Pontiac GTO in the Group 5 class. This is the same vehicle that is currently the star of the newly established SCCA Formula Drift Championship series, an extreme motorsports competition appealing to the young, import tuner audience.

Millen has run the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb event 11 times since 1992, holding the current High Performance Street Stock class records for both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive vehicles. In addition, Millen operated and campaigned the Mitsubishi Rally Team USA entries in the SCCA ProRally series during the 2000 and 2001 season, resulting in a Group 2 and 2-wheel drive Championship. These proven successes have translated over to the new American Drifting scene, where Team RMR/Pontiac currently delights sideways sliding, tire smoking drifting fans with the powerful Pontiac GTO. With a rich history in motorsports relevant to both Pikes Peak and ProRally, Team RMR/Pontiac will be a formidable competitor at this years Hill Climb event.

“Taking on the challenges of Pikes Peak is an incredible task which requires a strong team and a strong car, both of which I’m confident we have with Team RMR/Pontiac and the GTO,” said Rhys Millen, driver and team principal of Team RMR/Pontiac. “We will rely heavily on our significant experience in both the Hill Climb and ProRally to leverage a podium finish at the 2004 event.”

To broaden the appeal of the hill climb, the SCCA ProRally Championship series has incorporated two runs along the 12.4 mile ascent up the mountain as part of its five-stage event at Pikes Peak. Round five of this year’s ProRally season will see many familiar faces from American rallying, along with factory backed teams from Subaru and Dodge. Team RMR/Pontiac’s GTO will compete in ProRally Group 5, which allows for 2-wheel drive vehicles with a great deal of performance modifications.

The sideways sliding thrill of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb complements Team RMR/Pontiac’s current season in the SCCA Formula Drift series. Competitive drifting is an all-new form of motorsports where drivers skillfully negotiate a complex road course, “Drifting” vehicles through turns in a controlled slide. 2004 marks the first year this Japanese-based motorsports series will have a full season on American soil. Millen is also the first American driver, and the Pontiac GTO is the first American brand automobile to compete in this new form of extreme motorsport. Over 10,000 drift fans flocked to the Irwindale Speedway in California in February of this year to view the D1 drift event, exceeding the attendance of even NASCAR events at the same venue.

Full Article Here

www.rmrproducts.com

Further information on Team RMR/Pontiac and the GTO drift car can be found at www.gtodrift.com.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw this car in Houston with Rhys at the helm on June 12th (Last week) it was amazing... When he started the car and took it to a spot to warn the tires (read: do wild doughnuts) people all cheered and assembled in a huge crowd. (noteworthy point: no other car garnered that kind of attention besides the Viper)

IN a tree branch type elimination the GTO went all the way up to the "SEMIS" and faced the Champion Viper and though it impressed us considerably, the GTO lost out to the eventual champ..

It was a good show and I would probably go see it again. One of the things that really interested me was the lightweight, second gen. brakes. It was not a circular shape but rather had sections cut off it. interestingly enough the Pontiac Rep. said they worked better than their old circular shaped discs...

(I want that for my SS :D )

·
Registered
225 Posts
I dont care if it didnt beat the viper, its a viper. No one expected it to beat it, but the fact that it got there is somthing to be proud of. the GTO is a sound car, that dosent look as good as it should. But once you see onr on the road next to you, you gotta look at it...then its like, oh hey a GTO. cool.

Drifiting could be what we need to get more intrest built up in GM based performance cars. dragraccing ising going to cut it any more. (It will for me cause I'm all about going fast. I dont like turns..)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i only hate when people think drifting is something new started in japan. hell, mullet heads use to burn up sears parking lots back in the days before people even noticed import cars. glad to see domestics made it 1st and 2nd, i had heard about that from an friend of mine that went, who's an import fan. she kept asking "tell me about the GTO".. picking my brain about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How about you go look up the history of drifting before making (rather idiotic) assumptions?

I don't even really care for it much, but theres more to it then just smoking tires and sliding around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts