GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft revving up Forza Motorsport

MGS' self-developed racer will let Xboxers create, customize, and drive their dream machines.

Microsoft Game Studios announced today that it has a new racing game in its garage. Internally developed exclusively for the Xbox, Forza Motorsport "gives Xbox gamers who are passionate about cars and racing the opportunity to own, customize, and race their favorite cars in a realistic driving simulation," revealed Microsoft Game Studios.

The announcement for Forza Motorsport does promise a number of ways that players will be able to make their cars their own. First, they will be able to choose from more than 60 real-world brands, including Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Dodge.

After they select a chassis, players can go inside the guts of their cars by adding nonstandard engines, suspensions, superchargers, and brakes. True gearheads can go one step further by tinkering with their engines' gear ratios, fuel-mapping, forced induction pressure, and ignition timing.

Once they're finished with the insides of their rides, players can begin detailing the exteriors by adding rims, spoilers, decals, side skirts, fender flares, air dams, and customized paint jobs.

As far as the game's mechanics go, Microsoft said it brought together automotive engineers and game programmers to re-create "authentic car performances." For a change, this authenticity will include damage and wear as well as heat and pressure changes that disrupt a car's suspension and aerodynamic load.

Another new aspect of Forza Motorsport is its inclusion of ?drivatars,? artificial intelligence-controlled drivers you can "train" in your own original driving style.

Microsoft also promises that the game will feature glossy graphics on par with the Gran Turismo series. Camera and atmospheric effects, like lens flare and heat shimmer, add realism to the international tracks, which will include Germany's Nurburgring and a street course in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Article Here

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Looks pretty good, but I doubt it will ever be as popular as the Gran Turismo franchise.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@May 12 2004, 11:18 AM
Looks pretty good, but I doubt it will ever be as popular as the Gran Turismo franchise.
I'm not so sure about that one, purely on the customizeability(?) it should be far more popular, this is somewhat like NFS underground only the possibilities are far more expansive. Not to mention the much higher graphics quality and the thorough testing and lack programming bugs. I'm really lookign forward to the release of this as it will allow one to create your own dream car, not to mention that you arent limited to a single corporation. 60 car makers, that's quite a field of automotive diversity to choose from.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When is this coming out??
I have my money ready!!!
I hope they include Pontiacs, to include Chevy's in a driving game and not Pontiac is just dumb.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna+May 12 2004, 01:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bakerna @ May 12 2004, 01:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@May 12 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm not so sure about that one, purely on the customizeability(?) it should be far more popular, this is somewhat like NFS underground only the possibilities are far more expansive. Not to mention the much higher graphics quality and the thorough testing and lack programming bugs. I'm really lookign forward to the release of this as it will allow one to create your own dream car, not to mention that you arent limited to a single corporation. 60 car makers, that's quite a field of automotive diversity to choose from. [/b][/quote]
Hmm, you got a point there. If they bring it on the PS2 (still the number one selling game console) also they will get massive sales!

-Jason

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cars recognized by trailers:

Subaru WRX STi
Nissan 250 z
Mitsubishi Evolution
Acura NSX
Toyota Supra
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Dodge Neon SRT-4
Maza RX-7
Honda Civic Si
Nissan Skyline
Dodge Viper SRT-10
Toyota Celica

Honda, Nissan, Toyota dominate...

Where was this game developed.... :angry:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like, PGR2, Forza won't use the "kitchen sink approach," said Lee. We smile in agreement--it's a direct jab at Polyphony's 500+ car mentality. In this case, we really do side with Microsoft. Who wants 500 cars when less than a fifth of them are actually fun to drive? And we speak from experience, log onto Xbox Live with PGR2 or ToCA--most players stick with the Ultimate class, consisting of cars like the Ferrari Enzo, Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR, Pagani Zonda and Porsche 911 GT1. Admittedly, it is fun to give everyday cars like the S2000, WRX and even Mini Cooper S a go or some track-built rides, but we want break-neck speed and performance, not a Model T or solid rear axles.

Scott did let us know that Forza will feature some classic rides like the Sting Ray and early 70s Porsche 911s, but we'll also get to test neo-sports cars like the Enzo, Koenigsegg and McLaren F1. The short pre-E3 demo we saw featured the Subaru WRX, Ferrari Enzo, '72 Porsche 911 and Chevy Corvette Sting Ray as playable vehicles on three courses, Laguna Seca and two fantasy tracks. Forza felt very forgiving with assists on. But turn those off and you will lock the brakes. Xbox Editor in Chief, Doug Perry, experienced this first hand when he cited, "This thing is too easy, arcadey." Lee turned off the assist, Perry quickly changed his mind.

Like GT4, expect Forza to give us a nearly unrivaled amount of vehicle customization. Camber angle, toe, spring rate, damper, downforce, brake bias--everything we do in GT we'll, supposedly, be able to do in Forza. But Microsoft seems to be upping the ante a whole lot. We might forget what we've seen in GT--Forza not only lets us tweak and tune each vehicle to your liking, it also lets us modify the exterior and, get this, perform advanced engine swaps. So if you wanna drop that 'Stang engine into a Miata and make your very own Monster Miata, you can. We're not sure how far Microsoft will let us go as some powerplants are physically impossible to drop into a given chassis without serious work, but it's likely that we'll get some insane power from almost any vehicle in the game.
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/515/515694p1.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts