GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
14 Stations to Receive Funding for E85 Infrastructure in Michigan

Stations will receive up to $70,000 to install their E85 infrastrucure. All have agreed to begin selling the alternative fuel by November 15 of this year. The awardees and cities they will be selling the fuel are:

Corrigan Oil Corp., (Brighton)
Coyne Oil Corp., (Mount Pleasant)
Downtown Wixom Development, (Wixom)
Haggerty Joy Mobil, (Canton)
Jawad Marathon, (Southfield)
Ten & Greenfield Sunoco, (Oak Park)
274 Gratiot Corp., (New Haven)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Cheboygan)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Davison)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Jackson)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Lansing)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Lansing)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Livonia)
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC, (Ypsilanti)

Stations can also use the Federal income tax credit that will allow 30 percent of the cost of their project up to $30,000.

There are currently 70 E85 fueling facilties across the state of Michigan.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
even though my employer has bought our new vehicles with e85 ability, we're not encouraged to use it.
-just some food for thought.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
The station @ woodward and Square lake Rd has e85 for 3.38/gal and reg 87 is ~4.19, @ over .80c difference its definately worth it.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Why should the Govmnt pay for it? Tell the oil companies they have to install E-85 and hydrogen pumps in every station with their name or they pay a windfall profits tax.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What are the reasons your not encouraged to use it?
mpg isn't as high and I think it's just a PR move.

edit: after thinking about what I said, we've never been told to use it. but I guess the choice is ours. but I do know this is a no-cost option to add to the vehicle..

·
Registered
768 Posts
FYI We had a customer just return from a trip out west. He-actually his wife kept data on the trip and when thy got home she did a spred sheet on the trip. When they got out of Michigan they found E85 very cheap and filled up. The outcome of the data, when E85 gets to be about a dollar less then it off sets the difference in econony. Jim did well on E85. They figured by using E85 on the trip when ever it was less they saved all most $200 over purchasing just gasoline.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Using E85, even when it's not a great bargain, does a number of things:
It encourages alternative fuel development.
It demonstrates a resolve, on our part, to achieve something approximating the "energy independence" the politicians keep yakking about.
It provides an interim step through which first adopters can motivate others to accept alternative energy as practical. Since filling up with E85 is no more difficult than filling up with gasoline, old habits don't have to be broken in order for E85 to be accepted as an alternative.
It makes it much more difficult for rogue nations to use a threat of an oil embargo against us.

For these reasons, and others, I'd like to see GM add E85 capability to as many cars as possible. Frankly, I think it would be a great sales feature if it were more widely available in the model range. Customers could gain a real feeling of "doing something" even if they could not afford, or wouldn't buy, a hybrid.

Much is made of Brazil's efforts to become independent of outside sources for energy. Some of their effort was focused on ethanol and the other part on Drill, Drill, Drill.

Cheers,
Ed Arcuri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts