·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mexico: GM builds first Chevrolet Aveo at new San Luis Potosi plant
By Glenn Brooks
8 August, 2008
Source: Automotive World

General Motors de Mexico has announced the official start of operations at its US$1bn San Luis Potosi complex, which has begun building Chevrolet-based but Daewoo-derived small cars for markets in the Americas.

GM is particularly keen to emphasise the new facility's environmental credentials, with Troy Clarke, its president for North America stating that the plant discharges no water - instead 90% of the liquid it uses is recycled, and the remainder is said to evaporate. Further, all lights are activated by motion and so switch themselves off automatically when no activity is detected.

The new plant has been constructed on a 346 hectare plot, while the factory itself occupies 154,000 square metres. GM says some 2,500 workers are based at the site, while a claimed further 17,500 jobs have been created as a result of the new complex.

SOURCE

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
This is a step in the right direction. There is no G3 in the U.S. it does not exist, at least for retail not sure about fleet. Remember there is a new model in 2010.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
GM is particularly keen to emphasise the new facility's environmental credentials, with Troy Clarke, its president for North America stating that the plant discharges no water - instead 90% of the liquid it uses is recycled, and the remainder is said to evaporate. Further, all lights are activated by motion and so switch themselves off automatically when no activity is detected.

That should put that feature in the truck plants, that should help save them some money on the electricity bill

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

That should put that feature in the truck plants, that should help save them some money on the electricity bill
I did not know that....thanks.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

If they put those in union-run plants, then the lights would hardly ever be on.

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
452 Posts
good for mexico...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
What I want to know is when are the 4 door Aveo Sedans (2009's) hitting dealerships. We were thinking of getting one, the 08's are all gone in the area, and no 09's have been found.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Great for San Luis Potosi! I just came back from there after studying Spanish for 3 weeks. It is a great town with some of the nicest people I have ever met. They really deserve a plant like this.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
:clap: You made a funny!
For those on the outside looking in making $6.50 an hour with no benefits at your dead end job. I can understand your jealousy. I take home my big fat check (thankyou GM) and benefits for life. So do my union brother professional firefighters, police officers, teachers, college professors, nurses, steelworkers, etc, etc, etc. Put my dues higher I don't care (LOL!) Weeeee all make choices. I made a good one, its obvious you didn't....NOW THATS A FUNNY!

Aveo was rated 3rd in the small car category by JD Powers last week. Many thousands of owners of these cars submitted their responses. Cudos to chevy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For those on the outside looking in making $6.50 an hour with no benefits at your dead end job. I can understand your jealousy. I take home my big fat check (thankyou GM) and benefits for life. So do my union brother professional firefighters, police officers, teachers, college professors, nurses, steelworkers, etc, etc, etc. Put my dues higher I don't care (LOL!) Weeeee all make choices. I made a good one, its obvious you didn't....NOW THATS A FUNNY!

Aveo was rated 3rd in the small car category by JD Powers last week. Many thousands of owners of these cars submitted their responses. Cudos to chevy.
GM union - Even have a third of your workforce left? You call that victory? Your employer is near bankruptcy. Is that a victory? Your employer now builds in Mexico to avoid you. Is that victory?
Police unions - paid by our taxes
Fire unions - also living off our taxes
Teachers/Professors - living off our taxes
Nurses - Can write their own ticket anyway due to demand
Steelworkers - Aren't there like 15 unionized steelworkers left in the US? How many US steel mills closed in the last 20 years?

So unions either live off the public dime or have run their employers to the ground. Awesome.

·
Registered
937 Posts
GM union - Even have a third of your workforce left? You call that victory? Your employer is near bankruptcy. Is that a victory? Your employer now builds in Mexico to avoid you. Is that victory?
Police unions - paid by our taxes
Fire unions - also living off our taxes
Teachers/Professors - living off our taxes
Nurses - Can write their own ticket anyway due to demand
Steelworkers - Aren't there like 15 unionized steelworkers left in the US? How many US steel mills closed in the last 20 years?

So unions either live off the public dime or have run their employers to the ground. Awesome.
WOW! Now you don't like police officers, firefighters teachers and nurses, steelworkers, Why? because they worked hard at attaining a career that makes more then you. Most US citizens believe they are all underpaid. Maybe if you got off your lazy aXX and did something worthwhile with your life things might be better instead of criticising those that worked to get ahead. Did you finish grade school? Recent polls in the USA indicate the US public put firefighters, teachers, police officers and nurses in the top catagories of most trusted and best professions. How can you argue with that? Go figure!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts