GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It used to be that compact SUVs were for those who couldn’t afford larger ones. Today, buyers not only consider price, but also think about fuel economy, maneuverability, handling, and style. The concept of an upscale compact SUV is becoming more popular. Mercury hopes to capitalize on that trend by introducing its own version of the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute – named “Mariner.” It follows the same styling direction as the mid-size Mountaineer and portends the future style of all Mercury products.

According to J Mays, Ford Motor Company vice president of Design, “Our goal is to achieve a high level of differentiation in our Mercury products in a clean, contemporary design. These are clean, intelligent designs without a lot of excess. The design is thoroughly modern inside and out, with a Mercury family resemblance and a particular attention to detail on the interiors. The Mariner has a level of design sophistication that is a step above in this segment.”

FULL STORY HERE

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Call me nuts but I like it. The concept of an upscale SUV is not new in other countries -- heck, compact cars have navigation systems and the like. I think Mercury has the right idea here - they just need to make sure that it isn't purely a cosmetic deal --- that Navigation systems and other doo-dads are available, and that transmission or engine options aren't exactly the same as the Ford Mazda twins.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just announced! Mercury has successfully mated a Buick Terraza and a Honda Pilot creating the new Mercury Whogivesadamn GT. This new Mercury will compete in the heavily contested depriciation-a-thon and will definitely be a favorite! :lol:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 3 2004, 04:25 PM
Call me nuts but I like it. The concept of an upscale SUV is not new in other countries -- heck, compact cars have navigation systems and the like. I think Mercury has the right idea here - they just need to make sure that it isn't purely a cosmetic deal --- that Navigation systems and other doo-dads are available, and that transmission or engine options aren't exactly the same as the Ford Mazda twins.
your nuts!

sorry its not my cup of tea

·
Registered
954 Posts
I never thought it was possible to make an 'upscale' Escape :blink:. Does anyone happened to the old Mercury front ends that actually looked half decent :eek:?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind of like it. But does Ford need 3 models on the same platform? Mariner / Escape / mazda Tribute?

It's almost like FoMoCo is trying to catch up to the models in the GMT360 lineup.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jan 3 2004, 11:25 PM
I kind of like it. But does Ford need 3 models on the same platform? Mariner / Escape / mazda Tribute?

It's almost like FoMoCo is trying to catch up to the models in the GMT360 lineup.
hey- if they can produce at full capacity, more power to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts