GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/22/business/22ford.php

"The company will also end speculation about its Mercury division by making the brand an integral part of its new small-car strategy, according to these people, who spoke on the condition that they not be quoted by name because of the timing of the official announcement on Thursday."

At long last, the media backs up what I've been hearing about for months.

In the Lincoln-Mercury franchise, Lincoln will sell large premium cars, and Mercury will sell small premium cars.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I said it before, I'll say it again. They killed Mercury up here about 8 years ago. Nobody noticed, or cared. I don't think it would be that different in the US.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Actually, here on Long Island Mercury sells very well. So I guess it all depends on the region.
Ya, but what do they have that Ford and Lincoln don't? More or less chrome and lightly different tail lights. That's all.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
On a serious note, if they do it right and bring in sharper versions of the FOcus et. al. they are probably going to become a big part of the company. Then again, they may get stuck with a leather trimmed Transit Connect. Some times you just never know :lmao:

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, but what do they have that Ford and Lincoln don't? More or less chrome and lightly different tail lights. That's all.
1) Lincoln-Mercury dealer experience at Ford prices

2) Better interiors than Fords, but not costing any more

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to be a smart aleck, but if they could do better interiors for the same price, why shouldn't Ford get them too?
They do... it's called the Limited trim on Fords.

The difference is, Mercury stocks more high-level trim models, and Ford stocks more lower-level trim models. So even though the models are identical, the average Mercury transaction price is higher.

There are MANY people who would not consider a Ford, but would have no problem in a similar priced Mercury.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
My local Lincoln-Mercury dealer also sells Kia. Maybe I could get the Lincoln-Mercury experience at Kia prices too :p:

Not to be a smart aleck, but if they could do better interiors for the same price, why shouldn't Ford get them too?
I agree -- why should people have to go to 2 dealerships to see what are effectively different trim levels? They don't have to at Toyota or Honda. This artifically-enforced brand hierarchy at Ford/GM is part of the problem why their mass-market brands (Ford and Chevrolet) can't compete effectively against the Toyotas and Hondas of the world.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Well they would need to drop their best seller the Milan to make it back to something Lincoln doesn't sell (if they are doing the small lux cars). No offense, but this brand is waning at best. That said I see a few Milans around, moreso then the Fusion.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

2) Better interiors than Fords, but not costing any more

Then why keep Ford if Lincolns and Mercurys are nicer and just as cheap?

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Mercury should be selling all the european fords here in the USA and fast...

Ford can carry the base USA leftover designs etc... or the base engine euro cars to come..

Leave the higher content small product models to mercury..

JMO

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
So:

We've been reading of Fords push to retool NA plants to build European product.

This would bear-out those who suggest (sometimes insist) that Euro-Fords be made Mercurys new raison d'etre.

So Mercury will now (soon) be comprised mostly of American built, European Fords? ( And who knows. It may make sense with currency issues to export some to Europe!)

If this is indeed the case, then I say "BRAVO" to Ford. I hope it works.

Mercury will be small, well defined line of European style premium small cars, and Lincoln will continue to assume the mantle Mercury used to hold by being tarted-up American Fords.

Why not? It could work.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So:

We've been reading of Fords push to retool NA plants to build European product.

This would bear-out those who suggest (sometimes insist) that Euro-Fords be made Mercurys new raison d'etre.

So Mercury will now (soon) be comprised mostly of American built, European Fords? ( And who knows. It may make sense with currency issues to export some to Europe!)

If this is indeed the case, then I say "BRAVO" to Ford. I hope it works.

Mercury will be small, well defined line of European style premium small cars, and Lincoln will continue to assume the mantle Mercury used to hold by being tarted-up American Fords.

Why not? It could work.

Kind of.

In 3 years, Euro Fords and US Fords will be the same thing.

Think about how a Lincoln MKS is different from a Ford Taurus, then apply that principle to a Fiesta, Focus, C-Max, and such, which will all be sold in US Ford showrooms. Sheetmetal, interior, engine, and options available. Lincoln will cover the big stuff, Mercury covers the little stuff. Only overlap will be Milan/MKZ.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
My bet... someone at Ford HQ noticed that the
"Mercury Girl" ads are working

I would like to put her "on my list"

GM needs to step back up to the plate with more ads of really pretty "people" driving their cars... And fewer ads of cars floating in the air, families buying carrots, grade school science teachers, hydrogen or electric cars that we can't buy, or unshaven cowboys driving trucks.

Effective ads are the ones that you remember... walk around your office... do an informal poll ask if anyone knows who the "mercury girl" is...or has seen her ads? You will get about a 10% hit... Which is AMAZING for an ad... Then ask if anyone can remember a GM ad recently... Chevy? Pontiac? Buick?

Where the heck is the ad for the Sky with a pretty young thing telling me how amazing the car is? The car is drop dead gorgeous... Why not flaunt that?

Ford was getting so many questions about her they put her on their website
FAQ-press release link

1 - 20 of 39 Posts