GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes to announce new naming system next month?
By Ronan Glon
Monday, Oct 6th, 2014

A new report finds Mercedes-Benz will announce its new naming system at next month's Los Angeles Motor Show.

Australian website Motoring reports the facelifted M-Class will kick off the changes by adopting the GLE-Class moniker when it is introduced next month. The new name reflects an effort to align the M-Class with the E-Class sedan in the minds of buyers.

The production variant of the Concept Coupé SUV that was presented earlier this year at the Beijing Motor Show will be known simply as the GLE Coupe. Although Mercedes is keeping its lips sealed about the upcoming BMW X6-fighter, industry rumors indicate it will ride on the same platform as the M and debut in Geneva next year.

Similarly, the second-generation GLK set to arrive in time for the 2016 model year will be called GLC, positioning it at the same level as the C-Class. The rumored two-door variant of it will be christened GLC Coupe.

CONTINUE AT LEFTLANENEWS.COM

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I guess it's not just Cadillac that's going to shuffle things about.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Perfect !

Wonderful !

Will spur higher sales!

I wish Cadillac would change theirs ! They are so stupid!

Reactions: sfbreh

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
They're stripping away a well-known model name (M-Class).

Is Johann getting a new job already?

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,433 Posts
Similarly, the second-generation GLK set to arrive in time for the 2016 model year will be called GLC, positioning it at the same level as the C-Class. The rumored two-door variant of it will be christened GLC Coupe.
Don't know about any coupe but I've seen other articles that have different information than this.
They said the GLK will be the regular C-Class CUV and the GLC will be one of those 5-door fastback CUV things.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What happened to the good old days when you didn't have to rearrange your whole lineup name system because you've realized something screwed up with the organization? When you had Chevelle, Impala, Caprice, Corvette, etc in your lineup and you wanted to add a new model pony car you named it Camaro and it fit into your lineup, didn't have to fall in place of anything or denote anything. Guess I've just been around too many old cars.

Reactions: Dequindre

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
They're like, a year late on this news.

Oh good grief.. This industry obsession over naming strategies is more angst filled than a Starbucks full of college students.
Angst require depth of thought and self-reflection, so nice try, but no. I say this from a Starbucks filled with college students.

There's very little depth here, just brand whores.

I just went over to MercedesInsideNews.com. They're apoplectic.

Update: Dieter Zetsche just posted on Facebook: "Wenn Sie es hassen, Pfund Sand."
So crude, but I get what you're trying to say and it's hilarious.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Whay not use their great names like Geländewagen... :D

You could have:

Geländewagen Big (German translation of course)

Geländewagen Middle (German translation of course)

Geländewagen Small (German translation of course)

Geländewagen Sporty (German translation of course)

;)

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Former S classes will be called "Fleetwood"

Former E classes will be called "DeVille"

Former C classes will be called "Calais"

Former CLA classes will be called "Cimmaron"

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I feel as if people here didn't notice that Mercedes adjusts their naming schemes at least once of a decade. In the last 20 years, we've seen CL/CLK come and go, the letter go in front of the number, numbers disconnected from engine size, models being labeled as Mercedes-AMG, etc.

In addition, no one even noticed that the GLA basically set the basis for this newest alignment of SUV's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts