GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
It looks like everyone is now trying to jump on board immediately trying to act like they are the innovators. How long has gasoline been over $5.00 a gallon in Germany? It appears that GM is finally leading the way instead of having to react to the market like they have for the last 20-30 years. I will give GM credit unless someone is keeping the same, or better technology awfully quite. The only proof that would prove that fact is if their product beats the Volt to market. Until then GM gets the props and everyone else is reacting to GM for a change.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Complexity doesn't apply to Mercedes?

Give me some of that magic!

·
Registered
7,874 Posts

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Nice.

Mercedes can do it, but its not like they are going to come in at the same price point of the Volt.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts

I took that as meaning the earnings-complexity tradeoff is different for Mercedes than it is for most other companies. They have a couple of advantages here in that Mercedes buyers are less price sensitive and the incremental cost of a complex drivetrain is a smaller percentage on a Mercedes than on, say, a typical Chevy or Toyota.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
"We are in a leading position and I expect that some of our competitors have to manage earnings, innovation and complexity in a way that doesn’t apply to us."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/interview-mercedes-to-embrace-turbos-fuel-cells-electric-cars.html
I am inclined to believe that statement wholeheartedly.
Mercedes buyers are richer, more willing to pay the "Mercedes Tax", and definitely less price sensitive.
Chances are this system would appear on the S-Class before filtering down.

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
I am inclined to believe that statement wholeheartedly.
Mercedes buyers are richer, more willing to pay the "Mercedes Tax", and definitely less price sensitive.
Chances are this system would appear on the S-Class before filtering down.
The decision to make the Volt a chevy was very deliberate by Rick and his friend Bob.
With Volt a Chevy it will be easily a Global car, and you bet Cadillac and perhaps Buick in China will have their version very quickly.

Price point is not the issue. Mercedes is just pulling another watanabe on GM...

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Heh heh... Yup. Exactly.
THe only big question mark is, "How long of a lead can GM maintain to establish EFlex in the market before the competition catches up?"

Mercedes will have no competition in the luxury market.
Question is, how far along is Mercedes. Is it all just slideware at the moment or actual hardware. If Toyota hasn't got anything done yet I doubt Mercedes has anything. They had to come to GM for the 2-Mode so perhaps they're waiting for GM to rent out E-Flex?

So far what I've seen from Mercedes is 2-Mode (from GM), mild hybrid (ala GM), and now news about an E-Flex-like vehicle (ala GM). Even their concepts look like GM cars.

Maybe Mercedes is right, there is no complexity in their way as they're just copying GM. How complex can that be?

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
They already have Hybrid Electric Vehicle testers out and about. i had these pics in two other threads here but they were largely forgotten so here they are again. Anyway back to the interview, it was a good read and i can't wait to see how mercedes system fairs against the E flex

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
It looks like everyone is now trying to jump on board immediately trying to act like they are the innovators. How long has gasoline been over $5.00 a gallon in Germany? It appears that GM is finally leading the way instead of having to react to the market like they have for the last 20-30 years. I will give GM credit unless someone is keeping the same, or better technology awfully quite. The only proof that would prove that fact is if their product beats the Volt to market. Until then GM gets the props and everyone else is reacting to GM for a change.
ummm no, god knows how long they've been working on this, them and other manufacturers. GM is just a lot more vocal about their projects, something which I think should be changed.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
ummm no, god knows how long they've been working on this, them and other manufacturers. GM is just a lot more vocal about their projects, something which I think should be changed.
That's just it, you don't know how far along they are. Until their product beats the Volt to market GM is the one finally leading the way. Now if someone suprises everyone and beats the Volt to market then they get the credit because either they were ahead all along or leapfrogged GM.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
GM has had to drum up their upcoming products well in advance to counter the constant flow of negative news and an image of being environmentally unfriendly to try to gain some credibility among investors and consumers. Hopefully that's just a temporary thing (both the negativity and the response)...

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Heh heh... Yup. Exactly.
THe only big question mark is, "How long of a lead can GM maintain to establish EFlex in the market before the competition catches up?"

Yeah, that's a very good question. We're going to see I guess. I do know that Cadillac will be getting the E-Flex very soon (could be a matter of 6 months) after the Volt hits.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Heh heh... Yup. Exactly.

I think GM will lead for a LONG time in the truely "mass produced" electric car/hybrid space. MB might be able to sell quite a few high dollar Hollywood variety electric cars, but doubt such a vehicle would sell enough or be producable enough to be considered a true EFlex competitor. Probably the biggest problem something like BMW and MB entering this space might cause is even more inflated battery prices as they will be able to spend more on the battery. I'm still a bit confused how the battery industry is going to be able to feed all these companies diving head first into the Electric car/hybrid space? I think GM's head start on Li-Ion for cars with Volt will give them a real head start that's going to be tough to catch up too. The Tesla is doing it, but in very low volume and high priced package, that is also traditional Li-Ion based rather than the newest chem batteries. MB might be able to get away with a Tesla like approach to get in the game, but they will have to start over at some point if they plan to catch up with GM.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Also, in response to everyone questioning how far along MB and other competitors to GM are in the EV race, just read some clips of the initial response by these same execs to GM's initial plan to put Volt on the road before the end of 2010. Also many articles have been written about what insiders are saying about GM's plans. Most insiders were very skeptical GM could succeed with the Volt. They are now scared GM WILL succeed and are reacting that and the Gas crunch by turning on their "ME TOO" PR machines.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I've always been a believer that there is no secret among major auto manufacturers.

Every company pretty much knows what everyone else is doing.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Well, debut the DT7 with the Volt powertrain as the most fuel efficient large size vehicle in the world, better than a LS430h...on top of the most fuel efficient midsize car in the world.

Make lots of money on both and hypersuperturbocharge Chevrolet and Cadillac's image.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
. I do know that Cadillac will be getting the E-Flex very soon (could be a matter of 6 months) after the Volt hits.[/QUOTE]

That is excellent news!! I have been hoping for that all along! E-Flex could be a way for GM to WAY beat the new CAFE rules while offering outstanding torque and acceleration. Perhaps within a few years a fuel cell will replace the ICE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts