GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
While much better done than Tesla's interior's, I feel like Mercedes took inspiration from Tesla with the minimalism and big screen.

After seeing the Escalade's curved screens it makes the Mercedes look dated with the flat screens. I for one am glad that Cadillac took the risk with OLED - I think it's the first time in my lifetime I've been able to say Cadillac has done something better in the interior.

Overall, looks nice. Does look a little bland, but I think we are missing the "presence" that its size will give it, pictures can't convey that. I think overall it do well, they didn't screw anything up.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mercedes calls the Level 3 system “Drive Pilot.” It’ll be usable “in situations where traffic density is high or in tailbacks, on suitable motorway sections in Germany.” (And by the way, “tailbacks” means traffic jams.) Mercedes says that when the system is active, the driver has the freedom to undertake other activities, such as browsing the internet or texting. There is no need to touch the steering wheel or pedals. That said, there are still plenty of restrictions. Currently, German law doesn’t allow the system to operate at speeds higher than 37 mph (though Mercedes says it’s capable of higher speeds), which makes it impossible to use in anything outside of a highway traffic jam. Mercedes also states that “the driver must remain ready to take control and be able to continue driving the vehicle manually within 10 seconds.” That means no sleeping. I
So you can play games on mobile while driving :D:D

Level 2 (Partial Driving Automation)
This means advanced driver assistance systems or ADAS. The vehicle can control both steering and accelerating/decelerating. Here the automation falls short of self-driving because a human sits in the driver’s seat and can take control of the car at any time. Tesla Autopilot and Cadillac (General Motors) Super Cruise systems both qualify as Level 2.
Level 3 (Conditional Driving Automation)
The jump from Level 2 to Level 3 is substantial from a technological perspective, but subtle if not negligible from a human perspective.

Level 3 vehicles have “environmental detection” capabilities and can make informed decisions for themselves, such as accelerating past a slow-moving vehicle. But―they still require human override. The driver must remain alert and ready to take control if the system is unable to execute the task.

Almost two years ago, Audi (Volkswagen) announced that the next generation of the A8―their flagship sedan―would be the world’s first production Level 3 vehicle. And they delivered. The 2019 Audi A8L arrives in commercial dealerships this Fall. It features Traffic Jam Pilot, which combines a lidar scanner with advanced sensor fusion and processing power (plus built-in redundancies should a component fail).

However, while Audi was developing their marvel of engineering, the regulatory process in the U.S. shifted from federal guidance to state-by-state mandates for autonomous vehicles. So for the time being, the A8L is still classified as a Level 2 vehicle in the United States and will ship without key hardware and software required to achieve Level 3 functionality. In Europe, however, Audi will roll out the full Level 3 A8L with Traffic Jam Pilot (in Germany first).
Level 4 (High Driving Automation)
The key difference between Level 3 and Level 4 automation is that Level 4 vehicles can intervene if things go wrong or there is a system failure. In this sense, these cars do not require human interaction in most circumstances. However, a human still has the option to manually override.

Level 4 vehicles can operate in self-driving mode. But until legislation and infrastructure evolves, they can only do so within a limited area (usually an urban environment where top speeds reach an average of 30mph). This is known as geofencing. As such, most Level 4 vehicles in existence are geared toward ridesharing. For example:

NAVYA, a French company, is already building and selling Level 4 shuttles and cabs in the U.S. that run fully on electric power and can reach a top speed of 55 mph.
Alphabet's Waymo recently unveiled a Level 4 self-driving taxi service in Arizona, where they had been testing driverless cars―without a safety driver in the seat―for more than a year and over 10 million miles.
Canadian automotive supplier Magna has developed technology (MAX4) to enable Level 4 capabilities in both urban and highway environments. They are working with Lyft to supply high-tech kits that turn vehicles into self-driving cars.
Just a few months ago, Volvo and Baidu announced a strategic partnership to jointly develop Level 4 electric vehicles that will serve the robotaxi market in China.
From Synopsys

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
From what I read on autoblog, MB's system is inferior to Cadillac and Tesla.. Cannot handle freeway speeds... cannot lane change, and not available in Germany till 2022, us time unknown

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
From what I read on autoblog, MB's system is inferior to Cadillac and Tesla.. Cannot handle freeway speeds... cannot lane change, and not available in Germany till 2022, us time unknown
That said, there are still plenty of restrictions. Currently, German law doesn’t allow the system to operate at speeds higher than 37 mph (though Mercedes says it’s capable of higher speeds).
If it is capable of higher speed how do you now it can not handle freeway speed? At the moment it is not allowed in Germany. Not to mention on some parts of the Autobahn in Germany there are no limitations.

..cannot lane change
You mean something like Active Lane Change Assist ?

I would assume that level 3 would be everything level 2 can do + some additional operations...no?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
3 to me seems the worst of all levels. The system is good enough to not require a human for up to 10 seconds, but then does. 10 seconds should be enough for a human to grasp the situation, BUT I have serious doubts such a situation exists. 3 seems like a recipe for disaster. What does the system do? Slam on the brakes if it doesn't know what to do and wait for the human to take over after the car stopped abruptly? I suppose the meat sack will be startled back to reality after the car panic stops. One of Tesla's big problems is they use hands on the wheel for the test, so people find a way to trick the system while they nap or text or whatever. And as a result, the system crashes. Caddy did a somewhat better system where it is testing if you are watching the road by scanning your eyes. Better, and as far as I know, no crashes yet, but still some people can sleep with their eyes open.

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
If it is capable of higher speed how do you now it can not handle freeway speed? At the moment it is not allowed in Germany. Not to mention on some parts of the Autobahn in Germany there are no limitations.

I would assume that level 3 would be everything level 2 can do + some additional operations...no?
It would seem to me Mercedes needs to release more information on what makes their system level 3 while Tesla and Cadillac are level 2

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You know how people use to say Hyundai vehicles look like they've already been in an accident straight off the assembly line. They same can now be same for Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

You’re correct.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It would seem to me Mercedes needs to release more information on what makes their system level 3 while Tesla and Cadillac are level 2
The only thing I have found is Benz has taken the plunge and added a lidar unit in the production car according to carscoops. Pretty much only a top end car is going to support such an expensive, but accurate sensor. I think the cheapest I've seen a lidar sensor go for is 8 grand, but I'm sure they must have a cheaper unit. But I am pretty sure no one has a 100 dollar lidar yet. Quite a bit of liability with a lidar sensor too. If the scanner stops spinning, you could fry eyeballs very quickly.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Is level 3 allowed in U.S.A? I remember something about Audi not going with level 3 because some legal issue.
Level 4's are allowed in certain regions; however, they still require a driver behind the wheel at all times.
Plus, no one would want the bulk camera and lidar systems attached to their cars. So, it's relegated to test vehicles at the moment.

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
The only thing I have found is Benz has taken the plunge and added a lidar unit in the production car according to carscoops. Pretty much only a top end car is going to support such an expensive, but accurate sensor. I think the cheapest I've seen a lidar sensor go for is 8 grand, but I'm sure they must have a cheaper unit. But I am pretty sure no one has a 100 dollar lidar yet. Quite a bit of liability with a lidar sensor too. If the scanner stops spinning, you could fry eyeballs very quickly.
Lidar is found on top of the line phones and tablets.
Just depends on their usage.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Quite good looking, an evolution of the current design, which is what they should do. When you are the best, you just keep making it better. I liked the screen integration on the last Gen better, but I don't really have a problem with it. The overall design, and fit and finish, is impeccable. S-Class interior design continues to be inspired by private yachts + jets, which shows. Show hit the nail on the head for its intended audience.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Anybody else notice the greenhouse is the same? The Roof and glass are the same as the last car! GM got roasted for that with the ATS/CT4, but looks like Merc get's away with it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Its a completely new platform from the ground up? That's impressive. Too bad they did not make it look that different...
The W222 S-class was actually on a heavily revised W221 platform, whereas this generation is now on the newest version of Mercedes' RWD flexible platform (MRA II).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts