GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mercedes-Benz moving Headquarters to Atlanta
WSB-TV
Updated: 6:01 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2015 | Posted: 4:56 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2015

ATLANTA —

Mercedes-Benz officially announced Tuesday that the company will be moving its headquarters to Atlanta from its current location in New Jersey.

Channel 2’s Lori Geary broke the news of the move Monday.

In a news release sent Tuesday, the company said that New Jersey had been a good home for its first 50 years, but for its future endeavors Atlanta was going to be a better fit.

“It became apparent that to achieve the sustained, profitable growth and efficiencies we require for the decades ahead, our headquarters would have to be located elsewhere. That brought us to Atlanta,” said MBUSA President and CEO Stephen Cannon. “Atlanta is a premier city, which places us closer to our ever-growing Southeast customer base.”

The decision comes after months of speculation that the company could relocate to Georgia or North Carolina.

Continues here: WSB-TV

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Silly Benz, they should have moved to Manhattan. That's where the true luxury marques relocate.
God, I hope you're being sarcastic. :001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
You could be headquartered in Baghdad and run a successful luxury car brand if you wanted to. It's 2015, 'location' is not a valid excuse for not understanding the industry. I GET why Cadillac is making so much noise about moving, to make it clear that there is a change in mindset, but it does not matter where the physical headquarters is. If that's the case, how will New Yorkers design Cadillacs for China?

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
WOW, a chapter thrown in the middle of the book we weren't even expecting...............

This is just too much.

Reactions: sfbreh

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Why does it seem like Benz has been copying all the new or announced Cadillac moves. New naming structure, moving head quarters, and there was a third I just can think of it at the moment. I'm sure it is coincidence but the occurrences are starting to mount.

Reactions: dagr382

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Why does it seem like Benz has been copying all the new or announced Cadillac moves. New naming structure, moving head quarters, and there was a third I just can think of it at the moment. I'm sure it is coincidence but the occurrences are starting to mount.
In the Atlanta Business Chronicle article that Murrow linked, site selection consultant John Boyd noted a common thread between MBUSA's and Cadillac's recent HQ moves:

Atlanta Business Chronicle said:
[John Boyd] compared the Mercedes move to Cadillac's relocation from tired Detroit to trendy SoHo in Manhattan. Atlanta, unlike Montvale, is associated with a young and hip image that Mercedes wants to cultivate, Boyd noted.

Reactions: megeebee

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Same reasons why I argued for Dallas or Houston for Cadillac.

You could be headquartered in Baghdad and run a successful luxury car brand if you wanted to. It's 2015, 'location' is not a valid excuse for not understanding the industry. I GET why Cadillac is making so much noise about moving, to make it clear that there is a change in mindset, but it does not matter where the physical headquarters is. If that's the case, how will New Yorkers design Cadillacs for China?
Actually Baghdad would probably not be a good HQ location.

WOW, a chapter thrown in the middle of the book we weren't even expecting...............

This is just too much.
Hotlanta makes a lot of sense in this case. OTOH I didn't think NYC made sense for Cad except some of the top dogs probably wanted to live there. That would make sense to them, but not for Cadillac.

This thread should be fun. :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Actually Baghdad would probably not be a good HQ location.
Yeah, maybe not...

But am I really supposed to believe that the people making decisions at these car companies are only inspired by what they see on their drive into work? I would like to think that they have a broader view of the country and the world, and don't just keep their focus on their immediate surroundings.

Presumably the Corvette team and the Malibu team are located in the same place, no? One nailed their model while the others didn't.

What was so 'sports car' about Detroit that inspired those guys to build the best Corvette ever? And what 'mass-market' influence wasn't present to help the Malibu guys get their car right? I don't believe that the location of the team is the result of either the success of the Corvette or the failure of the Malibu.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Yeah, maybe not...

But am I really supposed to believe that the people making decisions at these car companies are only inspired by what they see on their drive into work? I would like to think that they have a broader view of the country and the world, and don't just keep their focus on their immediate surroundings.

Presumably the Corvette team and the Malibu team are located in the same place, no? One nailed their model while the others didn't.

What was so 'sports car' about Detroit that inspired those guys to build the best Corvette ever? And what 'mass-market' influence wasn't present to help the Malibu guys get their car right? I don't believe that the location of the team is the result of either the success of the Corvette or the failure of the Malibu.
Haha. Methinks you were supposed to think that in the case of Cardiac moving to SoHo. All the KEWL people are there and NYC being the KEWLEST city in the solar system (it's not; Neptune has some super cities) and that blah blah. IMO the new guys just didn't want to live in the midwest. Not so posh, ya know. Just backward.

Not that keeping your top 1000 happy is not important. But if they want to work for you and make that big money and have those big opportunities, they can live where the company is.

Taxes and incentives usually play into this. NJ, NY (I love those No New Taxes! NY business ads), the Peoples Republik of Taxxachusetts, these places tax the subjects like Norway but without the oil.

There's a reason the non-Detroit3 car plants are all in the south. And if I were to choose between NJ and Atlanta for HQ, I'd go with a place that's on the move.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Not that keeping your top 1000 happy is not important. But if they want to work for you and make that big money and have those big opportunities, they can live where the company is.
Oh muchos agreedos, there are MANY good reasons for making these headquarter moves, and amongst them IS the fact that being surrounded by people, locales and businesses that are related to what you sell (luxury, in the case of Cadillac) is certainly a positive thing. I just disagree with the assumption that A) moving to a place like that will automatically mean an improvement, and B) that it is impossible to succeed unless a company moves to such a place.

Basically I fear that Cadillac will forget that, while being in New York is a big plus for them, they're not going to simply get better by osmosis.

And more basically, I spent too long in France, and just like disagreeing and arguing... those people, bless their souls, can turn an agreement between two people into an epic debate; it really is an art form. The 'oui, mais non' ('yes, but no') is legendary, and I use it daily now!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
An interesting move and some interesting theories here. I wonder if BMW (down the street) will do the same?
I bet BMW of North America is at least doing site selection research about a new HQ facility. Charlotte and Atlanta are both worthy contenders: both metro areas are reasonably close to the BMW Zentrum and assembly site in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, have hub airports, competitive cost structures, a solid record of closing major corporate HQ deals, and a large contingent of BMW customers.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Same reasons why I argued for Dallas or Houston for Cadillac.
I think Dallas would have been an excellent headquarters for the Cadillac brand.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.