Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Foxconn’s EVs: A Sedan, a Crossover, and a City Bus
October 18, 2021
By Hazel Southwell

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...an-biden-s/ar-AAPFB3Y?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531
The electronics giant who assembles Apple iPhones, Foxconn, pulled the covers off its three prototype electric vehicles in Taipei, Taiwan today: a car, an SUV, and a city bus. The unveiling reinforces Foxconn's desire to develop a presence in the ever-growing EV market, and it plans on getting there with the help of Lordstown Motors and Fisker.

The three models shown off during Hon Hai Tech Day were described as "high performance" by Foxconn's chairman, Young Liu, who told The New York Times that the company best known for assembling electronics deserves a seat at the EV table. Hon Hai is the name of Foxconn's overall group, with the automotive arm actually called "Foxtron," which is a collaborative company between Foxconn and the Yulon Motor Group, an established Taiwanese automaker that basically builds Nissans under license.

In terms of car details, the sedan is called the Model E. If you're thinking it's got kinda fancy lines, it's because it was developed with the help of Italy's Pininfarina. The release highlights some interesting details like the fact that although it's got a hefty (but not mindblowing 750 horsepower) and it can allegedly do zero to 62 mph in just 2.8 seconds. In fact, the company said that this is about the same as a Formula One car--and it kind of is. F1 cars do it in 2.6, but that's a bold claim given the 250+ horsepower deficit to either an actual F1 car or something like the Tesla Model S Plaid.

Because this is the kind of thing that all cars have to come with now, apparently the Model E can turn its rear seat into a "dedicated mobile office," for which I look forward to the bizarre PR photos of people doing very natural and normal things in cars. Apparently, you'll be able to use your phone to integrate into the car's systems, which will include things like unlocking and opening the doors based on face recognition.

More at link

Attachments

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sort of get why they are getting into the car business as one might say an electric car is a cell phone with seats and wheels.

But at the same time it also appears to me that they are getting into a business where I think Musk was thinking the same - cellphone on wheels, but quickly learned that putting a car together is a lot more intensive than they expected. Were I foxconn I'd be looking at building electric car components and leave the assembly to established players.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I sort of get why they are getting into the car business as one might say an electric car is a cell phone with seats and wheels.

But at the same time it also appears to me that they are getting into a business where I think Musk was thinking the same - cellphone on wheels, but quickly learned that putting a car together is a lot more intensive than they expected. Were I foxconn I'd be looking at building electric car components and leave the assembly to established players.
Did Foxconn partner with Stellantis for something?

·
Registered
329 Posts

Tesla is doing just fine.

So is BYD,Nio,Xpeng etc.

That is always the advice the old guard gives to new companies/entrants.In 2008-2012 Detroit executives told Musk that Tesla should become a Tier 1 supplier of battery packs for BEVs and PHEVs. They said much the same to Hyundai back in the day. Sometimes you become Yugo and sometimes you become Hyundai.

Tesla's market cap as of tonight is bigger than all the legacy automakers put together.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts

So is BYD,Nio,Xpeng etc.

That is always the advice the old guard gives to new companies/entrants.In 2008-2012 Detroit executives told Musk that Tesla should become a Tier 1 supplier of battery packs for BEVs and PHEVs. They said much the same to Hyundai back in the day. Sometimes you become Yugo and sometimes you become Hyundai.

Tesla's market cap as of tonight is bigger than all the legacy automakers put together.
So you think Tesla is worth more than all legacy automakers, or are you trying to illuminate how over-valued they are?

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So is BYD,Nio,Xpeng etc.

I'm a big fan of Tesla and want them to succeed, but they've found that building cars profitably is a lot more difficult than they anticipated. And, at this point, their profit margins are nowhere near legacy car makes like GM or Ford. I get why Foxconn is trying to branch out from building cellphones as their profit margin isn't all that great, but at the same time I suspect that means their excess cash flow isn't huge to fund the creation of a new business that is capital intensive. I think building cars is risky, especially with a million new entrants to compete against, plus legacy makes. As you know, building and selling vehicles isn't as easy as building a plant and placing a gadget in WalMart.

Foxconn certainly can succeed, but I don't think this is the right approach for them, Just because they can build a car doesn't necessarily mean they should build a car. I think components is where their magic will be.

Feel free to rub this post in my face 20 years from now if Foxconn has succeeded :D

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,392 Posts
Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Did Foxconn partner with Stellantis for something?
Yup, in May 2021 Stellantis and Foxconn announced a joint venture (50-50) for infotainment system development. The collaboration actually started in January 2020, but the official JV was delayed by the merger between FCA and PSA to form Stellantis.

Over 250 software engineers in the JV (mostly Foxconn, but some Stellantis as well) are already working on next generation infotainment apps.

FOXCONN TO COLLABORATE WITH STELLANTIS TO DEVELOP IN-CAR TECH

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Foxconn certainly can succeed, but I don't think this is the right approach for them, Just because they can build a car doesn't necessarily mean they should build a car. I think components is where their magic will be.
+1
The Foxtron Vehicle Technology webpage emphasizes Foxconn's product planning, design, engineering, prototyping, and testing capabilities, and doesn't mention mass production of cars at all.

Font Electric blue Brand Darkness Screenshot

·
Premium Member
35,137 Posts
+1
The Foxtron Vehicle Technology webpage emphasizes Foxconn's product planning, design, engineering, prototyping, and testing capabilities, and doesn't mention mass production of cars at all.

View attachment 64658
The only companies I see with any chance of success with these upstarts is Grenadier Ineos. They have Magna and the BMW network, plus, largely a partsbin car from European suppliers.

Remember there are a lot of ghost car companies out there like Fisker, the bug eyed Rivian, the other one with a fancy Sedan, that paid the motor trend guru to drive, I forget the name, Lucid? Canoo, Bollinger, and another one with a minivan like sedan with a screen , a big screen in it, Faraday future, some are failing like the lordstown, others like Nikola are living on in some form or other , then there are those you do not recall like polestar.. etc....

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1

View attachment 64658
I had no idea they were already that far into automotive related work. Still doesn't make sense to me to build the entire car. I saw on the interwebs that Foxconn is branching out as their phone production margins are pretty small. We all know automotive production margins aren't exactly massive either. Though, I guess the fact that a lot of new BEV vehicle companies are popping up means that it is simpler to build a BEV vehicle than ICE, or at least that's how I interpret it. And we've read battery costs are coming way down, perhaps making vehicles will be more profitable.

But still, it already seems like a crowded market and risky to jump into if your goal is to improve your profit margins - all those companies jumping into BEV might put pricing pressure into the market pretty quickly and keep a cap on profits.

·
Premium Member
35,137 Posts
I had no idea they were already that far into automotive related work. Still doesn't make sense to me to build the entire car. I saw on the interwebs that Foxconn is branching out as their phone production margins are pretty small. We all know automotive production margins aren't exactly massive either. Though, I guess the fact that a lot of new BEV vehicle companies are popping up means that it is simpler to build a BEV vehicle than ICE, or at least that's how I interpret it. And we've read battery costs are coming way down, perhaps making vehicles will be more profitable.

But still, it already seems like a crowded market and risky to jump into if your goal is to improve your profit margins - all those companies jumping into BEV might put pricing pressure into the market pretty quickly and keep a cap on profits.
They think they can get a piece of the customer Data pie.. however, that cake can only be sliced so may ways

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They think they can get a piece of the customer Data pie.. however, that cake can only be sliced so may ways
Yeah - with so many entrants into the market someone will have to fail. And right now, the Chinese are using Norway as a test ground on how to penetrate Western markets - so even more brands are coming.

·
Premium Member
35,137 Posts
Yeah - with so many entrants into the market someone will have to fail. And right now, the Chinese are using Norway as a test ground on how to penetrate Western markets - so even more brands are coming.
They are about to find a hostile environment, if they did not have that commie badge, it would be smooth sailing.. for the most part.

The light bar across is overdone.. Just phone it in I guess

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are about to find a hostile environment, if they did not have that commie badge, it would be smooth sailing.. for the most part.

The light bar across is overdone.. Just phone it in I guess
I don't see anything super-compelling about these. They seem nice enough, but nothing screams "gotta have it so much I'll try a brand I've never heard of".

·
Registered
5,241 Posts

In business, relationships sometimes matter more than expertise. And Foxconn (or, more accurately, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd.) certainly has those. For example, if Apple wanted to outsource a car, guess who'd be at or near the top of the list as long as they had demonstrated they could do it? And that might be a big reason for this: not about building their own brand, but demonstrating to others that they have the capability.

Plus there's at least some good expertise relevance too. What we are seeing so far from companies like Tesla and Lucid is that they are able to get far more efficiency compared to the established car companies. A lot of that is in tighter integration of the electronics and that is something Foxconn has a lot of experience with. So can't say I blame them for thinking they can do better than the startups that pop up out of nowhere and still get it done.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I think in 10 years we will be "enjoying" the 1920's again with 100+ brands all trying to get us to buy there version and quickly going under to never be seen again
that said I can see foxconn actually "making it" most new brands are just that capitalist money trying to build something VS a "legacy" assembler branching into NEW products
I also imagine foxconn wants to "OEM" / "ODM" for 3RD party brands and this is more of a "look we CAN DO cars" and less a "pure play" to compete with BYD or Tesla

1 - 20 of 25 Posts