GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHICAGO — Say goodbye to those super-sized fries -- McDonald's (MCD) is slimming down its menu.

The hamburger giant has started phasing out its trademark Supersize fries (search) and drinks in its U.S. restaurants as part of an effort to simplify its menu and give customers choices that support a balanced lifestyle, a company spokesman said Tuesday.

By the end of 2004, super size will no longer be available at the nation's 13,000-plus McDonald's outlets except in certain promotions, McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker said.

The move comes as the world's largest restaurant company, and fast-food chains in general, are under growing public pressure to give consumers healthier food options in a nation that has suddenly become aware of its bulging waistline and the health dangers that come with it.

Full Story: HERE

·
Registered
103 Posts
They have been tossing that idea around for the past 6 months or so... Sad to see the supersize go :( but at least I will have more room in the stock room. I hate McDonalds fries so it doesnt bother me really just means we wont make the same profit anymore... (i really hate the orders for a Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese meal Super Size here is the kicker A DIET COKE!!!! ok listen up chubs you are eating so much fat you might as well oreder a supersize vegetable oil to drink!!)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i saw a show that measured the number of extra fries you get ith a biggie size at wendys... on average you get 9 fries more! ha! i'm sure mc'dees is the same. so while in theory they're making a change, there'll be no difference. cut out mcdonalds to lose weight.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by Camaroz28lover@Mar 3 2004, 07:07 AM
(i really hate the orders for a Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese meal Super Size here is the kicker A DIET COKE!!!! ok listen up chubs you are eating so much fat you might as well oreder a supersize vegetable oil to drink!!)
LOL! I worked at McDonalds in high school and that was a common observation. Other variations - high school girls would often order a McChicken, fries and a Diet Coke (under the misconception that chicken is healthier - maybe, but not after it's battered and deep fried!).

The best was Saturday nights when the underage drinking crowd would come in on their way to an event and order a medium soft drink in a large cup -- i.e. mixer! :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
This kills me, everybody wants to blame fast food restaurants for the obesity problem in America. The obesity problem comes from Americans being to friggin lazy to actually work off the fat that they consume. They keep looking for all of these miracle diets and weight loss gimmicks instead of actually trying to do something about it.

When I was in High School, I ran Cross Country and Track. It was nothing for me to go to McDees and order a Super Size Double Qtr Pdr w/ Cheese (a double Royale w/ cheese for you europeans, lol) value meal, apple pie, and chicken nuggets. I stayed around 150-160 lbs all through high school and I was 6 feet tall! I also only had 9% body fat! (I know what you're thinking, that was just because I was a high schooler with high metabolism. My friends who didn't work out and only ate half as much as me gained weight and were considerably bigger than me. After graduation, I stopped working out and got a full time job and gained 25 lbs in 3 months! Excercising had a lot to do with my low weight.)

I know it's hard for people to find the time to excercise, I haven't excercised regularly in 2 and a half years. I have an excuse though because I work 40-50 hours a week and then go to school 3 nights and saturday morning. The people complaining about not being able to lose weight are the people who get up, go to work and sit at a desk for 8-10 hours, go home and watch tv, then go to sleep. Most Americans can find the time to excercise if they really wanted to, but like everything else, they'd just rather sit back and blame everybody else.

rant off. back to work.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
For me, Diet Coke is a matter of taste. I got used to it, and now regular Coke has a lasting sugary aftertaste that I find nasty.

Hard to believe, but true.

I count carbs to help my exercise regimen and eat muchos protien, and sometimes before or after a work out I'll order a double whopper with cheese and double tomato (no fries) and a diet coke. The register dudes sometimes look at me funny. Little do they know I don't eat the bun, that has like a full day's carb allowance in it.

A regular Coke has something like 6 packets of coffee sugar in it. No thanks. I'll take my carbs from vegetables and fiber rich fruits, not processed refined sugar.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One word,

EXERCISE.

Most "heavily challenged" folks get no exercise at all. And when you eat fat/fast food without exercise you get FAT.

Eat what you want but unless you exercise your *** is gonna blossom like a spring tulip.
:chef:

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In regards to diet coke vs regular coke. I drink Diet Coke. I'm overweight. I can just imagine how much bigger I'd be if I drank regular coke all the time.

Yes, diet coke and mcdonalds don't really go hand in hand. There are no low calorie burgers and no low calorie fries. If I'm going to go there, why bother having the extra calories in regular coke? I can't tell the difference when I drink it. (Actually, now I prefer Diet drinks tastewise).

A large Coke has 318 calories. A large diet coke has 2.2 calories.
300 calories is 20 minutes on my eliptical trainer. that's 20 minutes I don't want to do for no reason.

The truth is, dieters shouldn't be at McDonalds in the first place, but if they do go, it's not silly to order a diet drink.

I don't eat at McDonalds often. All "treats" (is McDonald's a treat?) have to be done in moderation.

The only real way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in.
If you are willing to spend an hour or 2 at the gym, then there's no reason you can't go to Krispy Kreme or McDonalds more often.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am Pleased to announce that McDonalds will be switching from MinuteMaid Lemonade to the all new MinuteMaid Light Lemonade!! :)

The new lemonade has only 5 calories per 8oz. For the mathematically challenged that is 13.125 calories for a medium (that is of course without the ice)

and yes McDonalds FOOD does not make you fat... I made myself fat eating McDonalds food, and QUITTING CROSS COUNTRY
when I ran cross country I was running about 25-30 miles a week- at 5'11" i weighed 138 (avg.)
Now I dont exercise and I weigh 180 and I am the same height!!!
McDonalds menu doesnt need to go lowfat / carb
People need to get out of their beautiful GM cars (we all know how much we like those interiors anyway) and walk somewhere whenever possible!!

ok my horribly laid out ranting is over! :)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
We Fat lazy Americans feel it's 2 much work 2 exercize. We'd rather make up excuses (obesity gene :blink: ?!?!?!). And pass the blame on2 others 4 making us fat (Mc'Donalds 4 making the greazy fries so tasty and salty we can't but help 2 have our fat grubby lard filled hands shoving them in2 our chin encased mouths).
This is truly a great place 2 live where the opinions the few can have so much say over the many.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts