GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080320/auto_show_world_car.html?.v=1

Mazda2 Named World Car of the Year by International Journalists

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Mazda2 has been named the World Car of the Year by a panel of international journalists.
The award was announced Thursday at the New York International Auto Show.

The compact, two-door Mazda2 also is known as the Mazda Demio. It isn't sold in the U.S. but is found in Japan, Europe and other markets. A four-door version goes on sale in China this spring.

Ford Motor Co., which owns a third of Mazda Motor Corp., is basing its new Fiesta subcompact on the Mazda2 platform. The Fiesta goes on sale in the U.S. in 2010.

Forty-seven jurors from 24 countries determine the winner based on styling, quality, safety and other factors.

The Ford Mondeo and the Mercedes C-Class were the other nominees.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
you can't style a car. You can design one though.
Design: v.

1. a. To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent.
b. To formulate a plan for; devise.

2. To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form: design a building; design a computer program.
3. To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect.
4. To have as a goal or purpose; intend.

Style: n.

1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed.

2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.

Looks like style is applicable to a cars design. Funny thing is a lot of times style will actually interfere with a cars practical design (ie. cargo space, head room, etc.). And in some applications style and design mean the same thing.

The GMT-900's are a great design, but to some not so stylish.

The Ford Mustang has great style, but to some not very well designed.

The Pontiac Aztec and Toyota Prius are all about design not style (obviously).

The Malibu and Enclave are about style and design.

So, I must humbly disagree sir. I think a car can be styled, and rather nicely too when the manufacturer actually tries.

Here's another view point for you. A Prius is odd looking and not very attractive (to most people). It is designed for fuel efficiency and not style. So, it looks ugly, but gets great mileage. A Volt is very attractive and gets even better gas mileage than a Prius because it has been designed for style and fuel efficiency.

But, I do understand your point also. Style is subjective, therefore a car cannot be styled. But, the more a company tries to style a car then the more consumers find that car attractive and the more consumers buy them. Just imagine how many Prius' would be sold today if Toyota didn't have boring looking cars; if the Prius looked like a Mazda 3.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts

2. To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form: design a building; design a computer program.

2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.

Looks like style is applicable to a cars design. Funny thing is a lot of times style will actually interfere with a cars practical design (ie. cargo space, head room, etc.). And in some applications style and design mean the same thing.

So, I must humbly disagree sir. I think a car can be styled, and rather nicely too when the manufacturer actually tries.

Here's another view point for you. A Prius is odd looking and not very attractive (to most people). It is designed for fuel efficiency and not style. So, it looks ugly, but gets great mileage. A Volt is very attractive and gets even better gas mileage than a Prius because it has been designed for style and fuel efficiency.

But, I do understand your point also. Style is subjective, therefore a car cannot be styled. But, the more a company tries to style a car then the more consumers find that car attractive and the more consumers buy them. Just imagine how many Prius' would be sold today if Toyota didn't have boring looking cars; if the Prius looked like a Mazda 3.

Just my opinion.

A car is a precisely engineered object. When it comes to the exterior, the "style" directly affects several key aspects, such as safety, aerodynamics, ergonomics, materials and cost. Regardless of looking good or bad, a car is always designed, some designs lean more to looking good, others more to practicality. Either way non are "styled", which implies the vehicle's sole exterior purpose is for style.

50 years ago when neither safety, nor fuel efficiency or aerodynamics mattered, cars were styled, and the people doing them were called "stylists". Now days they don't call them "stylists" anymore, they call them designers, and they do so for a reason.

Now a car can be seen as "stylish", by it's not because of the "Styling", but rather design.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts

Just my opinion.
A car is a precisely engineered object. When it comes to the exterior, the "style" directly affects several key aspects, such as safety, aerodynamics, ergonomics, materials and cost. Regardless of looking good or bad, a car is always designed, some designs lean more to looking good, others more to practicality. Either way non are "styled", which implies the vehicle's sole exterior purpose is for style.
50 years ago when neither safety, nor fuel efficiency or aerodynamics mattered, cars were styled, and the people doing them were called "stylists". Now days they don't call them "stylists" anymore, they call them designers, and they do so for a reason.

Now a car can be seen as "stylish", by it's not because of the "Styling", but rather design.

I fear a deep multi-page discussion coming on between these two! ;)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

For an industrial designer, style and design go hand and hand. If we didn't care what something looks like style-wise, we could leave it all to the engineers. Style is not the taboo word you make it out to be. This is coming from an industrial designer.

In my line of work I have to straddle the fine line of eye catching design and durable cost effective engineering every day. Personally the word style does not offend me at all. The only thing that might offend me is if people assume my job is to only make things look pretty.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
How could it be world car of the year if it isn't sold all over the world?

Same way we call the Baseball championship "The World Series" :D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

Why do people choose to focus on only certain things I say in my posts? I never said that style is the sole focus on the design of a car. I said the style does play a role in the design process of an automobile for certain cars. Sometimes style has nothing to do with the design (Prius), but most of the times it does.

For an industrial designer, style and design go hand and hand. If we didn't care what something looks like style-wise, we could leave it all to the engineers. Style is not the taboo word you make it out to be. This is coming from an industrial designer.

In my line of work I have to straddle the fine line of eye catching design and durable cost effective engineering every day. Personally the word style does not offend me at all. The only thing that might offend me is if people assume my job is to only make things look pretty.:rolleyes:
Thank you. That is what I was trying to say. An engineer CAN style a car; whether certain individuals want to believe it or not. Style does play a role in the design process of just about everything we build today.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Why do people choose to focus on only certain things I say in my posts? I never said that style is the sole focus on the design of a car. I said the style does play a role in the design process of an automobile for certain cars. Sometimes style has nothing to do with the design (Prius), but most of the times it does.

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say. An engineer CAN style a car; whether certain individuals want to believe it or not. Style does play a role in the design process of just about everything we build today.
So a car is not "Styled" it is designed, and some designs lean more towards being stylish, while others lean more to function. No one styled the prius for example.

You're pretty much saying what I was saying if I'm not mistaken...

I need a new hair design.
:doh:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
So a car is not "Styled" it is designed, and some designs lean more towards being stylish, while others lean more to function. No one styled the prius for example.

You're pretty much saying what I was saying if I'm not mistaken...

:doh:

O.K.......

So, we agree that we are agreeing in different ways of agreeing....right?:confused::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts