GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOKYO (AP) -- Japanese automaker Mazda Motor Corp. reported Thursday a 41 percent surge in profits for its latest fiscal year on rising sales and cost-cutting.

Net group profit at Mazda, based in Hiroshima, totaled 33.9 billion yen ($298 million) for the fiscal year ended in March, up from 24.1 billion yen the previous year -- the third consecutive year of better profits.

Sales totaled 2.9 trillion yen ($25.6 billion), up 23 percent from 2.36 trillion yen.

Mazda vehicle sales inched down in Japan and North America, but jumped 29 percent in Europe.

Overall, Mazda sold 1.2 million vehicles, up 20 percent from 1 million a year ago, and expects to sell 1.18 million vehicles in fiscal 2004.

Mazda, which is 33 percent owned by Ford Motor Co. of the United States, introduced the Mazda2 car in Europe in the latest fiscal year and began worldwide sales of the RX-8 sportscar and the Axela-Mazda3 sedan.
"We are confident that our product-led growth will continue," Mazda president and chief executive Hisakazu Imaki said.

For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2005, Mazda is forecasting a profit of 34 billion yen ($299 million) on sales of 2.66 trillion yen ($23.4 billion).

Vehicle sales are expected to hold steady as models roll into showrooms in key markets, including Japan, the United States, Europe and China, Mazda said.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mazda was in somewhat bad shape until Ford bailed them out with the investment and purchase of a controlling stake in the company. Now, Mazda is one of the smoothest operating and most impressive manufacturers out there. The Mazda6 and Mazda3 platforms are very versatile and impressive. I agree that the profit margin there seems pretty slim, but it's a good start.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I test drove a Mazda 6s 5 speed and it was a nice car. The V6 could use more power (I'm spoiled with a V8 now though), but it was a slick car in and out. The interior was first rate and I like the overall styling.

With this car and the impressive looking Mazda 3, they should do well for the next few years.

By the way, the Mazda 6s was assembled in USA where the Mustang is moving to, the engine was built in Ohio and the tranny was from Japan. Interesting.

Mark

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Although they're not a GM brand, I'm happy for Mazda. They're new products (3, 6, RX8) are very impressive. Kudos Mazda for reviving yourself successfully!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The Mazda 6 is a sweet car. Would consider buying one if I didn't bleed GM.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 14 2004, 04:37 AM
Now lets hope they get in good enough shape to bring us another RX7 :)
Word in Japan is that Mazda may produce an RX7 soon based on the RX8. It's supposedly an RX8 without the rear seats and rear doors - so basically smaller. Let's see if that actually happens...

-Jason

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've hear the same rumors... we can only hope. Mazda is one of the few companies with a very race car way of thinking. They sweat things that others don't even think about. Even the RX8 has evidence of this, go Mazda!!!

A new RX7 is just the thing needed to humble a few vettes around the track.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+May 14 2004, 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ May 14 2004, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-geronimo66@May 14 2004, 04:37 AM
Now lets hope they get in good enough shape to bring us another RX7  :)
Word in Japan is that Mazda may produce an RX7 soon based on the RX8. It's supposedly an RX8 without the rear seats and rear doors - so basically smaller. Let's see if that actually happens...

-Jason [/b][/quote]
I could see it being built on the same platform, as that would make a lot of sense. But it would need a much stronger engine and vastly improved handling. The RX-8 is a pretty nice handling vehicle, but the last years of the FD were all about owning everything else on the road.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Mazda3 is now the #1 selling car in Canada (ahead of the Focus, Civic, Corolla, Cavalier, Accord, Camry, Altima, and Taurus among others). In fact they're selling the same number in Canada as they are in the US, in a market 1/10 the size. They're also giving Honda a run for the #2 import spot behind Toyota (may have already happened).

Once Mazda USA has a full, independent dealership network like they do in Canada, and a Mazda9 large-midsize car (rumoured to be in the works), they should be in a position to take Honda and Toyota to school in the US as well.

Interview with Mazda Canada prez' about their success: http://www.globemegawheels.com/servlet/Art...VAUGHAN06/cars/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts