1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
The amount of time and money it would take Mazda to establish a foothold in manufacturing in the US just isn't worth the difference in "currency fluctuations."

·
Registered
944 Posts
The tribute(escape), mazda6 and B series(ranger) are built here. Like ford couldn't help mazda out with another factory!

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
The tribute(escape), mazda6 and B series(ranger) are built here. Like ford couldn't help mazda out with another factory!
Oh, they got real estate and plenty of it.

I always wondered what the 929 would be like today if Mazda was still making it. My son had one and i drove the last year they offered it. Great car. For that matter, what would the millenia be like. I'll bet i screwed up the spelling on that one.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ya, i mean it would make sense.

The 6 is built here for the flatrock agreement.

Of course the Tribute is built here because its only sold in NA0 i.e the Ford Escape DNA.

The CX-7 is a global vehicle so that should stay in Hiroshima, but the CX-9 is on the Edge's platform so that could easily be moved up to Oakville Ontario with the other Ford crossovers.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Mazdas are built in Japan, so I don't think they will be hit as hard as other manufacturers from Europe. Besides Mazda doesn't even move enough cars to even warrant building cars in the US.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Ausrutherford, I've been wondering if one of the "musical factories" destined for C2 vehicles may wind up being (partly) for Mazdas & Volvos, too!
&
...the CX-9 is on the Edge's platform so that could easily be moved up to Oakville Ontario with the other Ford crossovers.
this^ has been another wondering of mine for some time, Escapen,
esp. cuz I'd love to see a 3-row CD3 with Milan-ish styling for Merc.
( < clickable quikie choplet
( ^following from MCGARRETT's post last September )

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ausrutherford, I've been wondering if one of the "musical factories" destined for C2 vehicles may wind up being (partly) for Mazdas & Volvos, too!
&
this^ has been another wondering of mine for some time, Escapen,
esp. cuz I'd love to see a 3-row CD3 with Milan-ish styling for Merc.
( < clickable quikie choplet
Unfortunatly I dont think mercury will get a mid size crossover since Lincoln already has one. And for all of you...I am not suggesting world production, simply American, no exporting.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Of course the Tribute is built here because its only sold in NA0 i.e the Ford Escape DNA.
The Tribute was also produced in Japan. I'm not sure it still is, but all RHD versions were built in Japan.
...to old Mustang Plant in Dearborn. Just build them here already!
The Dearborn plant was retooled and is making the F-Series.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Tribute was also produced in Japan. I'm not sure it still is, but all RHD versions were built in Japan.

No it wasnt, when I went o Dearborn and took the tour, the guide said "look at that white building, that is where the Mustang was made." The F-10 was made for years in Dearborn before the Mustang left.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Currencies could fluctuate in the opposite direction before any factories could be built or renovated. A relatively low-value dollar is not necessarily a permanent state of affairs.

I'd be very cautious about this if I were Ford.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
No it wasnt, when I went o Dearborn and took the tour, the guide said "look at that white building, that is where the Mustang was made." The F-10 was made for years in Dearborn before the Mustang left.
The F-Series moved to Dearborn as Mustang production was ending there. The F-Series plant takes up some/much of the space occupied by by the former Mustang plant. The Heritage/Dearborn plant was opened just a few years ago.

I know many people on this site just spout half-truths, but I've worked in the industry long enough to know about many of these plants. Ford did not make the F-Series in Dearborn before this renovated plant was opened.

I did a quick Google search and found this anecdote to back up my claim:

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/blog/2006/08/ford-motor-cos-dearborn-assembly-plant.html

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The pacific Tribute which is different from ours is made in Taiwan along with the Escape.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The pacific Tribute which is different from ours is made in Taiwan along with the Escape.
The "Pacific Tribute" along with the RHD Tribute and 2nd gen Maverick sold in Europe were all sourced from Asia. The plant was in Taiwan (my error), but in any case they weren't assembled in North America.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The B-series and the Mazda6 are built in the U.S.

The recently-retired MPV was also built in the U.S.

Mazda only really needs to move or replicate its Hiroshima and Hofu lines that are responsible for the Mazda3, Mazda5, and CX-7 to get a good chunk of its vehicles built here. It doesn't have to build everything here.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Currencies could fluctuate in the opposite direction before any factories could be built or renovated. A relatively low-value dollar is not necessarily a permanent state of affairs.

I'd be very cautious about this if I were Ford.

They build the vehicles here and currency fluctuations is something they never have to worry about again. Just ask VW.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The recently-retired MPV was also built in the U.S.

Mazda only really needs to move or replicate its Hiroshima and Hofu lines that are responsible for the Mazda3, Mazda5, and CX-7 to get a good chunk of its vehicles built here. It doesn't have to build everything here.
The MPV was never built stateside, always an import.

The flexible production lines are indeed at capacity, but the supply lines would then have to be duplicated elsewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts