GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we had an all people meeting at our plant, where we talk about everything from the state of the business to Earth Day. During that meeting the plant manager was talking about our Gold award in JD Powers. We went from Silver to Gold in a year which was sweet, but again we were beaten by a Toyota plant in Japan(cant remember name). He started talking about things at that plant such as the workers there actually have to earn a position there by having great attendance, lots of suggestions, great team teamwork, etc. Thats when I started thinking we could never do that, under our contracts etc. that would never happen. Even though I am proud to be a Union worker, and am greatfull for what they do for me, I have always known they need a liitle overhaul to get with the times. Though I have never been given such a shinning example of why. I usually say the UAW doesnt have a huge impact on GM's ability to be competitive, and still dont think its that great, but know I realize it has a little more affect than I thought. He topped the section on our attendence goals by showing his not understanding on how people just dont come to work, and by making the comment that if you just dont want to show up to work, to go ahead and quit because we dont need people like that in our plant. I really wanted to clap after that comment, but feared reprisal. :huh: Just had to get that out, and hope that even though in this new plant that work ethic is much improved, that before I retire, the UAW and GM have there own revolution to be more competitive and make employees more responsible for there actions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just a quick comment on your post. I work for a telecommunications company that has a unionized work force and the management is saying the same thing. Attendance has ben drilled into the heads of both management and nonmanagement with the same thought, if you don't come to work, don't bother coming back!

·
Registered
633 Posts
They have a point.... why would you NOT come to work. If you can't for some "REAL" reason I can understand that.

Gm will fix the union thing in time... its called south america. :D Union workers in america should enjoy there jobs while they can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned moving jobs. My company is in neogations at this time and outsourcing is a hot topic with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts