GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?arti...9&sid=175&n=156

Maybach Learning Some Costly Lessons

Life's little lessons can be costly - especially when you're launching a new brand into one of the most rarified segments of the automotive market.

DaimlerChrysler's new Maybach marque has gotten off to a slower than expected start due to skeptical buyers and a global economic malaise. That has forced the automaker to rethink its strategy for the high-line brand, starting with its sales forecast, company officials concede. But they stress that DaimlerChrysler remains committed to the Maybach project.

"We have had to learn several lessons" since Maybach launched last year, Leon Hustinx, director of Maybach sales and marketing operations, acknowledged during an interview with TheCarConnection.com.

In all, Maybach delivered about 600 cars worldwide during 2003, Hustinx revealed. While he agreed that was short of the target, he declined to say by precisely how much. Longer term, Maybach had intended to sell a minimum of 1000 cars a year at prices running north of $300,000 apiece.

Now, said Hustinx, "I don't think 1000 is realistic."

The shortfall reflects a slow launch, especially in the critical U.S. market, which is expected to provide the lion's share of customers for Maybach's two models, the M57 and M62 sedans.

·
Registered
43,961 Posts
Couple problems
1) Extremely high price for an S-Class on steroids
2) Ugly exterior
3) Odd 2-tone paint
4) High predicted numbers.

Cadillac's high-end ULS doesn't even predict over 300 sales. I'm not surprised they haven't reached their numbers.
Better Daimler learns those lessons, and Lutz and Caddy take note before launching ULS... at least the high end ULS.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I saw a new Maybach 57 run through an auction this weekend....the price barely crossed over the $220,000 mark....they were trying to get $330,000 for the car..this was a brand new Maybach 57..with about 1000 miles on it. Overpriced?

This was the Barrett-Jackson auction in Palm Beach FL, not in po-dunck...there were a large number or big-money movers there.

The funny thing was....most of the people looking at the Maybach while it was out in the pre-sale are for inspection...did not even know what the car was! They had their notions that it was " some kind of Mercedes...I think" someone else said that the car was "English"....I had to advise a well heeled middle adged couple that the car was a separate high end luxury car made by Mercedes-Benz....they replied..."No wonder it looks like an S-Class...."

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
they don't sell because of the hyundai xg wich looks like his little brother-hehe-
altough I have nothing really against this car, I will only say that: THEY SHOULD HAVE TRIED HARDER! The maybach name is too important to treat it just like an uber S class. it has to be stunning, like the sixteen concept-hehe-

all in all, 600 sold is good enough, what's their problem?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was wondering who would want to spend a couple of hundred grand just to sit in the back seat of this thing. By the numbers, not too many people chose to. I think this is fit for corporate duty, moving execs from location to location. If you want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for an automotive experience, then you want to experience it from the driver’s seat and there are many other super cars that will do that for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts