GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM considering an all electric "e-Volt" to meet California zero emissions requirements.

GM is contemplating an all electric (no ICE) Volt:
What was perhaps more interesting is that Bob offered up to me a better question, then proceeded to answer it... "What if we could do a Volt that's cheaper, without engine and all the plumbing, and have a pure electric with more range?" He later indicated that the folks at GM are pondering just that question as an answer to the California mandate that they produce a couple thousand zero emissions vehicles. He actually indicated that some inside GM were lobbying for fuel cell vehicles to answer the mandate (owing to the fact that some folks have "career equity" in fuel cells), but he agreed with me that pure EV was the most sensible route compared to expensive hydrogen powered fuel cells.
Beyond Malibu mules, Volt prototypes are ready to roll:
But Bob wasn't finished there, in perhaps even more of a blockbuster revelation, he indicated that in just ten short days from today, he will hop into the very first Volt prototype for a test drive. (Editors note: Bob actually used the word prototype, so I'm inclined to believe he's not referring to a Malibu-based mule which has been out for several weeks now, but rather a real Chevy Volt in the shape and form that will roll off the production line in October 2010, complete with lithium ion battery packs and the full e-flex powertrain.)

This is extremely significant news indeed. It would seem to indicate that a drivable prototype of the final production vehicle exists today (or in the next few days at the outside) and that further, the folks charged with getting it to market have the confidence to let "The Man" himself behind the wheel in less than two weeks from today. It would definitely appear that the 2010 launch is imminent. And from today's revelations, it's certainly worth speculating if GM just might have an early launch surprise up it's sleeve. Such a move would be a dramatic kick start of the race to electrify the automobile. More importantly for GM, it would serve to ambush the competition and establish market dominance over rival Toyota.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Yeah, Lutz saying how quickly Volt development is coming along isn't saying too much. It's when he spits out the details of the program like how the batteries will be liquid cooled, etc is saying too much.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Loose lips might sink ships.

When will GM ever learn to keep all future products to itself, and only unveil them when they are ready to start selling them?

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts

When will GM ever learn to keep all future products to itself, and only unveil them when they are ready to start selling them?
Is saying that an actual Volt prototype is going to be rolled out in the next few weeks that bad? What will the competition gain by knowing there is a prototype now?

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
What'd he say that was so bad? All he's saying is that Volt testing is on schedule. It just reassures the public that the Volt WILL, in fact, be available this November if everything continues as well as they have.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Is saying that an actual Volt prototype is going to be rolled out in the next few weeks that bad? What will the competition gain by knowing there is a prototype now?
Wouldn't be better if GM kept everything to itself and then surprise the industry and the public with the product? Why reveal your future plans and allow competitors to adjust and keep up?

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Are you kidding me? All he's doing is reassuring the public that the November launch date is still on. They already have a prototype in the works. Doesn't sound like under-delivering to me.
This November?! :hyper:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

He might be a loose cannon but it may also be a thrust in a multi-level game. Announcements of this type, even slips, are often planned and pointed toward one target or another. It's the way big business correspond with each other without picking up the telephone and saying 'Hi Alan, this is Bob,......."

It's also the way to keep the hounds at bay ( analysts ) who are always dissecting a company's movements. [ Yep we are progressing on schedule ].

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's also the way to keep the hounds at bay ( analysts ) who are always dissecting a company's movements. [ Yep we are progressing on schedule ].
Good point.

What about consumer confidence? If the higher-ups don't advertise upcoming products, public perception may be worse.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Bob Lutz is bad ass alright.

He actually died 10 years ago.
He was killed when his fighter jet crashed head-first into a train
carrying 40 tankloads of nitro-glycerin.

He wasn't happy with that gig so he came back to lead General Motors.
It was like - Who's going to argue with him?
Chuck Norris maybe.
Maybe.

(And much thanks to the GMI spell check for helping me get bad ass right.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think I missed it because, I don't see what was so bad about what he said.
Now these words COULD begin to be fed to the public in the mass media...and once people starting hearing "the Volt could be ready even earlier" it will quickly become "the volt will be ready earlier" and so on and so on

I like to hear some of the rumors and all...but not years in advance. The Camaro is the often mentioned example but this is really getting crazy!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Bob Lutz is bad ass alright.

He actually died 10 years ago.
He was killed when his fighter jet crashed head-first into a train
carrying 40 tankloads of nitro-glycerin.

He wasn't happy with that gig so he came back to lead General Motors.
It was like - Who's going to argue with him?
Chuck Norris maybe.
Maybe.

(And much thanks to the GMI spell check for helping me get bad ass right.)
gotta love spell check....I think Chuck may loose some cred after those commercials he's been doing lately...not so bad ass

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
gotta love spell check....I think Chuck may loose some cred after those commercials he's been doing lately...not so bad ass
What he will loose is a volley of roundhouse kicks at your head for suggesting he might LOSE some cred.

Chuck Norris has your number, buddy-ro.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Over promising yet under-delivering? Or better yet, not delivering at all.
I agree. The problem isn't that what was said was bad. The problem is GM has almost no credibility when it comes to this type of product. They do have a long track record of over promising and under-delivering.

Bob's recent comments about not being able to find buyers for the EV1 is a typical example. There were waiting lists to lease the product (they were not available for purchase) and Bob frequently makes false statements about these things. He's not stupid. He knows it.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
EV2 anyone?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts