GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,198 Posts
I was surprised how much I liked the 3cyl turbo in this new Trailblazer loaner. It ain't all bad, not that I'd buy one though.
Hey cool. Just curious, did you drive it on the highway? Some of the press reports suggest the 3cyl is fine around town but runs out of steam at higher speeds.

The Trailblazer is basically the closest thing to a Sonic hatchback that Chevy makes. A possible next car for me unless my financial situation improves pronto!

Reactions: YesImOld

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ford has been making EcoBoost I3s for awhile now and they've been racking up the awards and praise. They are great little engines, I wouldn't be so prejudicial.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey cool. Just curious, did you drive it on the highway? Some of the press reports suggest the 3cyl is fine around town but runs out of steam at higher speeds.

The Trailblazer is basically the closest thing to a Sonic hatchback that Chevy makes. A possible next car for me unless my financial situation improves pronto!
I did drive it on the highway, as I had it for a few days as GM replaced the entire top assembly on my conv(rear window seal separated). This Trailblazer LT was plenty peppy but it did have the optional larger 3cyl and no AWD. I felt there was a lot of value in the overall package and would direct folks to look into one if it fit their needs. The larger 3cyl is certainly worth the small premium($395?), perhaps a must have?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,957 Posts
I did drive it on the highway, as I had it for a few days as GM replaced the entire top assembly on my conv(rear window seal separated). This Trailblazer LT was plenty peppy but it did have the optional larger 3cyl and no AWD. I felt there was a lot of value in the overall package and would direct folks to look into one if it fit their needs. The larger 3cyl is certainly worth the small premium($395?), perhaps a must have?
I was seriously considering one but even at times my Rogue was feeling a bit small, and have driven my brother and sil's Trax and sort of liked it but again too small. Then when they had the $5750 off of the previous year but still brand new Equinox, I drove it and the rest shall we say is history. :)

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,198 Posts
Yes the 1.3T FWD, that's the one I would check out. Highest highway MPG for the Trailblazer at 33MPG. If I were Chevy the FWD LT/RS/Activ would come with the 1.3T standard since it gets better MPG. Fine if you want to have the LS with the 1.2T as the base model.

Glad to hear it does well on the highway, that was a concern of mine after C&D said "The turbo-three offers a decent amount of low-end grunt, but it quickly gives up as revs climb and speeds increase." Once again I'll ignore the mags on this one and go with your "real world" reply...

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'd argue that the 3Cyl is only there to game the EPA test cycle...and that in the "real world" the advantage of a 3 vs a 4 is negligible because you have to push it just a smidge harder to get up to speed. See the initial "real world" fuel economy returns of the Ecoboost F150 for reference.
Owning an F150 with a 3.5 EB I would have to disagree with your guesswork. It matches the towing abilities of the 6.2 GM with better mileage. It's towing mpg is just less than a Ford 5.0 in the same truck with equal or better in empty driving and it pulls harder. Adjusted for actual miles driven and fuel used I have on several occasions gotten 23 - 24 mpg.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yes the 1.3T FWD, that's the one I would check out. Highest highway MPG for the Trailblazer at 33MPG. If I were Chevy the FWD LT/RS/Activ would come with the 1.3T standard since it gets better MPG. Fine if you want to have the LS with the 1.2T as the base model.

Glad to hear it does well on the highway, that was a concern of mine after C&D said "The turbo-three offers a decent amount of low-end grunt, but it quickly gives up as revs climb and speeds increase." Once again I'll ignore the mags on this one and go with your "real world" reply...

I wouldn't say it was impressive on the highway, but certainly more than adequate. I did average over 30MPG in rural driving for the few hundred miles I had it over 5 days. MSRP was mid $20k. Here were my impressions at the time:

'I had this cute ute loaner for a few days last week. I didn't even hate it. 3 cylinders all mine!! It was pretty zippy for a 3 banger but fairly noisy upon acceleration. The CVT worked surprisingly well. I believe Chevy will sell a bunch of these as it's well packaged and a good value overall.

2021 Chevy Trailblazer LT 1.3L turbo.'

·
Registered
287 Posts
Current 1.5L specs are 180hp and 190ftlbs.
Recalling my 1998 S10 specs with a 2.2L, 120hp and 140ftlbs.
Not sure where weight will be, but I am sure that having twice as many gears can help the Maverick as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do we know when Ford will reveal?
Ford hasn't made any official announcement, but some say within the first half of 2021.

When Ford prototypes just have sticker camo, they're usually 3-4 months away from their debut.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
The front end of this thing is going to look WEIRD!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't get this model, it will just leach buyers away from the Ranger and vice versa. The size difference doesn't look all that much to me, is it going to be far cheaper or something to draw customers? Otherwise i don't get this addition to fords lineup, i give them props for trying but if im looking for a smaller truck i think the ranger is the far better option.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I don't get this model, it will just leach buyers away from the Ranger and vice versa. The size difference doesn't look all that much to me, is it going to be far cheaper or something to draw customers? Otherwise i don't get this addition to fords lineup, i give them props for trying but if im looking for a smaller truck i think the ranger is the far better option.
Cheaper and smaller than Ranger (and other trucks on the market). Not everyone needs something with even the capability of Ranger. Some people just need something with a bed to carry a few bags of mulch every once and a while.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cheaper and smaller than Ranger (and other trucks on the market). Not everyone needs something with even the capability of Ranger. Some people just need something with a bed to carry a few bags of mulch every once and a while.
Lets face it, we all know that very few truck owners these days actually need a truck. They just want to drive one. I have owned or leased several myself, and in every case, the amount of actual truck use I needed, could have been handled with a daily rental at Home Depot. I bet many others can claim the same.

One of the problems with mid size trucks, is that once loaded up, they overlap wth the large trucks, so sales are kept at bay. With a $20K MSRP, this truck will fly off lots.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,957 Posts
Lets face it, we all know that very few truck owners these days actually need a truck. They just want to drive one. I have owned or leased several myself, and in every case, the amount of actual truck use I needed, could have been handled with a daily rental at Home Depot. I bet many others can claim the same.
But...but...that's an inconvenience to have to go out and rent one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
DreadNaughty: Hence why I don't own a new truck. I get to have one extra hot rod instead.

Reactions: DreadNaughty
41 - 60 of 73 Posts