GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp

This photo certainly makes it look like the wheelbase and length of the Maverick are about the same as the Ranger. It's a bit shorter in height compared to this FX4 Ranger. The Ranger is about 126" wheelbase and 211" long. I would have personally preferred something a bit smaller to make a bigger difference with the Ranger.

That said, I'm all in favor of an AWD pickup with modest towing and decent MPG. The AWD Bronco Sport 1.5T is rated at 28MPG highway versus the 4WD Ranger at 24MPG (26MPG for the 2WD). The Maverick might be a tad more aerodynamic than the boxy Bronco Sport, I'm going to guess 29MPG hwy. 30MPG would be cool.

Compare Side-by-Side

In a perfect world, they would offer an extended cab version...like they do with the Ranger...but as the last year proved the world ain't perfect!

Registered
I would not be surprised if some interior dimensions are similar or maybe slightly bigger than Ranger. Unibody gives you a lot of usable space back. I am quite impressed. Ford's next big hit right here, I am now convinced. Especially if it comes in at $20K

Registered
I like it. It appears it will have a rugged look and familial traits (apart from Ford's curious use of crossbars in their grilles now). I still think Courier would be a better name but I suppose they're going for a theme.

Registered
The Ford Ridgeline
Exactly what I was thinking...looks bigger than I thought it was going to be...I was thinking something like a Jeep Renegade but with a bed, but isn't this powered by a 3cyl? That's a lot of weight for a 3cyl regardless of power output IMO.

Registered
Exactly what I was thinking...looks bigger than I thought it was going to be...I was thinking something like a Jeep Renegade but with a bed, but isn't this powered by a 3cyl? That's a lot of weight for a 3cyl regardless of power output IMO.
But,but it's got the same power of a whole 4cyl!. ;)

Registered
But,but it's got the same power of a whole 4cyl!. ;)
Ha...You'll never convince me that a 3cyl can get the job done. Whether it be a Ford, Nissan, GM, Honda, Hyundai...whoever, I'd rather be dead than drive a 3 cylinder. Hell, I begrudgingly drive a Turbo 4 cylinder right now.

Registered
In the trash next to the Citation,Fiero,CT-6,CTS,Corvair,Pontiac,Oldsmobile,Saturn,GXP,S10,Astro,Buick,Holden,Monza,Firebird,Grand Prix,Monte Carlo,etc.....
C'mon maan... we got Hummer back!!

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

Registered
Another thing to keep in mind size wise is that the next-gen Ranger is right around the corner as well, and I'm sure it'll grow a bit too.

I do think the proportions on the front end look off - the headlights look a bit large and the grille too small, but perhaps once it's fully revealed it'll look better.

The off-centered license plate will take some getting used to.

Registered
Ha...You'll never convince me that a 3cyl can get the job done. Whether it be a Ford, Nissan, GM, Honda, Hyundai...whoever, I'd rather be dead than drive a 3 cylinder. Hell, I begrudgingly drive a Turbo 4 cylinder right now.
Depends on the 'job' you seek to complete. If your primary job is efficient transportation (33mpg hwy in Escape) and very occasional light duty hauling, then 190ftlbs in a compact, seems about right as an OPTION. Pricepoint and insurance costs are also a factor.

Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
Depends on the 'job' you seek to complete. If your primary job is efficient transportation (33mpg hwy in Escape) and very occasional light duty hauling, then 190ftlbs in a compact, seems about right as an OPTION. Pricepoint and insurance costs are also a factor.
While this might be true and all, we still cringe at the thought because they are just not what the American consumer is used to and we don't quite yet trust their capability to "get the job done" so to speak. Most of these little lightweights that do no more duty than schlepping occupants back and forth in the flatlands really don't need much more as long as it's geared good enough to get out of its own way or when pass something. :)

Registered
I'd argue that the 3Cyl is only there to game the EPA test cycle...and that in the "real world" the advantage of a 3 vs a 4 is negligible because you have to push it just a smidge harder to get up to speed. See the initial "real world" fuel economy returns of the Ecoboost F150 for reference.

Registered
I'd argue that the 3Cyl is only there to game the EPA test cycle...and that in the "real world" the advantage of a 3 vs a 4 is negligible because you have to push it just a smidge harder to get up to speed. See the initial "real world" fuel economy returns of the Ecoboost F150 for reference.
You won't get an argument from me here. But then again, we could say the very same thing about many other models and certainly many other brands. Bottom line, Ford will be able to advertise something close to 33mpg in a pickup truck, which they can't do with the I4, and for a very low entry price. Who else can say that?

Registered
While this might be true and all, we still cringe at the thought because they are just not what the American consumer is used to and we don't quite yet trust their capability to "get the job done" so to speak. Most of these little lightweights that do no more duty than schlepping occupants back and forth in the flatlands really don't need much more as long as it's geared good enough to get out of its own way or when pass something. :)
yeah, and many were not used to a V6 out towing a V8 truck either. Things change. But again, the key word here is OPTION

Registered
You won't get an argument from me here. But then again, we could say the very same thing about many other models and certainly many other brands. Bottom line, Ford will be able to advertise something close to 33mpg in a pickup truck, which they can't do with the I4, and for a very low entry price. Who else can say that?
Yeah...everyone is doing it...my take is if it isn't a hybrid, then going small displacement + turbo is only for the EPA cycle and not real world results. Hybridization is the only one that really returns tangible fuel savings but the initial cost almost usually eats up any fuel savings so you'll always end up paying someone be it the OEM or Big Oil...someone is going to get your money.

Registered
Exactly what I was thinking...looks bigger than I thought it was going to be...I was thinking something like a Jeep Renegade but with a bed
Think of this as a Bronco Sport with a bed, it's based on the same compact C-segment platform.

but isn't this powered by a 3cyl? That's a lot of weight for a 3cyl regardless of power output IMO.
I doubt this will be heavier than a Bronco Sport or Escape.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts