GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ford is doing a really terrible job keeping this vehicle under wraps, despite bellyaching about suppliers leaking images. And here they are driving them around almost naked.

I can tell you these two Mavericks are probably an FX4 and Lariat based on the tire packages, wheels, and trim details, along with the IRS.

Maverick coming in XL, XLT, and Lariat trim levels with FX4 packages.
1.5L I3, 2.0L I4 EB (AWD Only), and 2.5L Hybrid available (FWD Only).

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I guess the license plate is off center to the right of the hitch? Hmmm, that's weird.

There are a few Bronco Sport parts here, like the side mirrors and door handles. This is to be built alongside Bronco Sport in Hermosillo, along with the new Transit Connect (The Ford one). Production is about 6-months away.

Registered
I drive a 2019 Ranger and like the size. I do wish the bed was longer then 5鈥5. The Maverick looks pretty close in size. I was expecting smaller.

Registered
So Ford is doing a really terrible job keeping this vehicle under wraps, despite bellyaching about suppliers leaking images. And here they are driving them around almost naked.
Do you think this on the road test drive was un-authorized? Considering you see another in front of this one, I doubt it.

Driving it on public roads, they are showing you what they want you to see.

So I guess the license plate is off center to the right of the hitch? Hmmm, that's weird.

There are a few Bronco Sport parts here, like the side mirrors and door handles. This is to be built alongside Bronco Sport in Hermosillo, along with the new Transit Connect (The Ford one). Production is about 6-months away.
"Space Saver" Keeps bumper height up.

Looks pretty good. Guessing these will be 4 door only?
Sub-$20,000 fits the bill; I remember back in late 80's/early 90's when everyone (a lot of people) were driving around in 2WD Regular Cab Ranger's and S-10's; leased for <$99/month.

I see a lot of Bronco Sport here, that is a good thing, probably does most of the work needed by Ranger owners at a lower price, while maintaining profits.

Reactions: Extreme4x4

Registered
So just how much smaller is this than the Ranger? It looks smaller, yes, but not by a lot.
I was thinking the same, unless the guy driving it is really small, this looks pretty close to Ranger size. Have to wait and see what the dimensions are.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It is quite a bit smaller than Ranger, although it's hard to illustrate without side by side comparisons. The interior packaging might be more efficient for its size than Ranger however because the Ranger has a frame eating into the floor pan. Still, it's smaller than you think. This is no Ridgeline or Santa Cruz competitor, this is a smaller budget-friendly segment and Ford is the only one in that space. It'll be interesting to see how well it does, it might flop or it might be a phenomenon that brings on competitors. It's sharing pricing space with Bronco Sport and Escape so I can't imagine more than 100K. It's likely Jeep could respond since they have a similar product already in their Fiat portfolio. The Maverick is also slated for Latin America/South America which will require some volume from the Hermosillo plant. I also think Ford will want to limit how many they sell to maintain the Ranger, a more profitable vehicle. Maverick is targeted as Ford's most affordable vehicle, starting at around $20K (that's where the standard twist-beam rear suspension setup comes into cost-cutting play, but I imagine these are mostly fleet spec "Orkin" trucks). The combination of Maverick, Bronco Sport, Escape are here to replace the affordable cars. My info suggests the EcoSport will also leave the US market soon and these products are likely covering that space.

Registered
While I'm sure Ford would have liked to keep things under wraps a little longer, there is little point now given all the leaks. Didn't we already know what it looks like prior to these pics? It look exactly like what I'd previously seen and expected from the production Maverick.

Registered
Size wise this is really what I am looking for, I simply don't need larger. But I wish it was rear wheel drive based.

Registered
Where is the Chevy LUV to compete with the Maverick?

Reactions: JimmyDiablo

Registered
Well, considering Ford resurrected the name Maverick to put on a trucklet I'm still not sure about using LUV. But hey a Lifestyle Utility Vehicle is what it would be. Ideas anybody? ;)

GM does like to tout Chevy as a lifestyle brand, so Lifestyle Utility Vehicle would fall into their marketing strategy quite nicely!

Registered
GM does like to tout Chevy as a lifestyle brand, so Lifestyle Utility Vehicle would fall into their marketing strategy quite nicely!
But... Subaru would not be pleased.

Registered
While I'm sure Ford would have liked to keep things under wraps a little longer, there is little point now given all the leaks. Didn't we already know what it looks like prior to these pics? It look exactly like what I'd previously seen and expected from the production Maverick.
If they didn't want the public to see it like this, they wouldn't be driving it around like this, they would be driving it around with the heavy-padding that they often do.

Size wise this is really what I am looking for, I simply don't need larger. But I wish it was rear wheel drive based.
The Ranger is "bigger" but I don't think this will be a lot smaller inside, better use of space, with a lower ride height.
(in part because it is not RWD based)

Reactions: 1958carnut
1 - 20 of 73 Posts