GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A heads up to everyone:

I sent out a few emails to local dealers about the Base V8 Camaro and their plans on pricing - If they were going to add to the MSRP and got a very humorous in that he was so full of crap.

Hello AJ,

Thank you for your purchase request on a SS Camaro.

We are not taking deposits on the Camaro yet, and we are waiting to get pricing on the vehicle. We will be asking the market value and will accept a deposit when we get allication to build the car.

Geno Neagle

Sales Manager

Colonial West Chevrolet

[email protected]

www.colonial-west.com

www.buycolonialwest.com

314 John Fitch Hwy

Fitchburg MA 01420

To which I responded:

Market value meaning that you might put a market adjustment price onto MSRP?

To which he said:

We'll have to wait and see.

To which I said:

Thanks for the response. I think you answered the question, which was really more about the ethics at Colonial.

To which he said...and this was so funny:

Your right, we are disclosing the fact that there is going to be a premium on the Camaro, were not going to wait until last minute to tell you, no surprises, I think your going to find that all dealers are going to sell for market value, and if they say there not, it's probably because they're not getting one.

So there are dealers that aren't going to get Camaro's??? :bs:

Unreal the crap that GM dealers will say. No freaking wonder I went to foreign models for so long.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i think its funny that you say 'GM dealers', why dont you go to Nissan and try to buy a GT-R for under MSRP. Thats the way sales are when you have a high profile vehicle- everyone is going to try and cut down everyone else, and thats why people get pissed off

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a retarded statement. The Camaro isn't a ZR1, nor a GT-R. I wasn't even speaking of the Top dog Z-28. I was asking and was specific about the SS BASE V8 Camaro, of which there will be plenty of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
it doesnt matter what version your talking about, Gm isn't going to be releasing a whole bunch of them the first year anyways-according to our rep(which could very well be speculation). so it's gonna be tough to get your hands on one-at first.

By the way, it was like that with the 350Z as well

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it doesnt matter what version your talking about, Gm isn't going to be releasing a whole bunch of them the first year anyways-according to our rep(which could very well be speculation). so it's gonna be tough to get your hands on one-at first.

By the way, it was like that with the 350Z as well
You keep missing the point. I don't care if that dealer marks it up. Not all dealers will and I'll find one that won't. The point was the ludicrous statement that not every Chevy dealer will get the base V8 Camaro.

GM has a stated goal of selling 100,000 a year, even if they miss that by 40,000 and only sell as many as Saturn does the Aura that is still many many times more than Nissan sells the Z. This is the everyday car. Walk into a Ford dealership and look to see if the simple GT is marked up.....You'd laugh your butt off if it were. Then walk out and walk down the street to buy it elsewhere. Sure they can do it, and others have (VW bug anyone) but a chevy dealer that because of over saturation of chevy dealerships doing it is laughable on a GRAND scale.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Just wait a bit. Some folks will pay a premium to get one "now" and then the rest of us can get regular pricing.

I remember when the Miata first arrived and the premiums on that car. It was nuts. A year later and the prices were normal.

Patience.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wait a bit. Some folks will pay a premium to get one "now" and then the rest of us can get regular pricing.

I remember when the Miata first arrived and the premiums on that car. It was nuts. A year later and the prices were normal.

Patience.
Oh I've got all the patience in the world. I've no issue with waiting, however I like finding this out now, because I won't do business with a Chevy dealer that gouges. Too many to choose from to have to do that. Colonial is now off the list of places to take my other cars to for service and I'd certainly not buy a car there. (I now own a 2007 Acadia and 2007 Aura). There are dealers that have ethics...really there are.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Why do people still get worked up about this stuff. It's been happening since the first extremely desireable car came out and it will continue until cars are no longer made. If you want a car that is in great demand (or pretty much any product) with a limited supply and have to have it immediately you are going to get hammered.

If you cross off every car dealer for ethics you will be buying a bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh I've got all the patience in the world. I've no issue with waiting, however I like finding this out now, because I won't do business with a Chevy dealer that gouges. Too many to choose from to have to do that. Colonial is now off the list of places to take my other cars to for service and I'd certainly not buy a car there. (I now own a 2007 Acadia and 2007 Aura). There are dealers that have ethics...really there are.
First off, there's nothing "unethical" about marking up the price of a hot commodity. It's simple supply and demand utilizing the rule of scarcity. Those that want it the most will get it. You act like this is something unheard of for an auto dealer to do. EVERY dealership will mark up the price of a hot new car to take advantage of excess profits. Isn't that your American dream - $$$$$? The Solstice did it, the bloody VW bug did it, and this should come as no surprise that dealers will mark up the price of the Camaro. Sure you may find an inside deal somewhere, and if so, congrats. But don't act like this is shocking.

Second, quit calling it a SS base Camaro. There's base (probably Z/28) and then SS, if speculation is correct. You're mixing up models.

Third, that manager's grammar was absolutely terrible. Yikes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do people still get worked up about this stuff. It's been happening since the first extremely desireable car came out and it will continue until cars are no longer made. If you want a car that is in great demand (or pretty much any product) with a limited supply and have to have it immediately you are going to get hammered.

If you cross off every car dealer for ethics you will be buying a bike.
Another moronic statement. I'm 40. I've dealt with many many ethical dealers, both import and domestic. Also not all dealers add market adjustments. In fact there are lists of dealers that don't on certain websites. My main point wasn't that he was doing the dealer markup, but that he tried to tell me that dealers that say they won't are just saying it because they won't be able to get the Camaro. That is ludicrous, the Camaro base V8 isn't the ZR1.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Camaro's will fly of the shelf at market value because that's exactly what it will be worth. You could always buy the scale model and beat up the guy at toys r us over the price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another moronic statement. I'm 40. I've dealt with many many ethical dealers, both import and domestic. Also not all dealers add market adjustments. In fact there are lists of dealers that don't on certain websites. My main point wasn't that he was doing the dealer markup, but that he tried to tell me that dealers that say they won't are just saying it because they won't be able to get the Camaro. That is ludicrous, the Camaro base V8 isn't the ZR1.
Do you know FOR A FACT that 2 V-8 Camaro models will be available at launch? No you don't. It's very possible that only one will arrive in the first year, and if that's the case, look out for serious price hikes. You're basing this all on speculation, so just relax and at lease wait until GM makes the announcement in September. Then you can revisit this thread.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
First off, there's nothing "unethical" about marking up the price of a hot commodity. It's simple supply and demand utilizing the rule of scarcity. Those that want it the most will get it. You act like this is something unheard of for an auto dealer to do. EVERY dealership will mark up the price of a hot new car to take advantage of excess profits. Isn't that your American dream - $$$$$? The Solstice did it, the bloody VW bug did it, and this should come as no surprise that dealers will mark up the price of the Camaro. Sure you may find an inside deal somewhere, and if so, congrats. But don't act like this is shocking.

Second, quit calling it a SS base Camaro. There's base (probably Z/28) and then SS, if speculation is correct. You're mixing up models.

Third, that manager's grammar was absolutely terrible. Yikes.
Price gouging isn't ethical (I'm in the business of selling high demand items and don't price gouge). Please feel free to think it is though as they eat up people like you. Even GM agrees here and have asked dealers not to partake in this practice.

I didn't act like it was unheard of. Me sending out the email in the first place was saying I knew it happens. What post where you reading???

Not every dealership does it. I worked for one years back that didn't. I also can point to a list of dealers that don't on Camaro5.com. Just because you make outrageous comments doesn't make them fact.

Can you FREAKING READ??? I said BASE V8 is the SS...and that has been confirmed on Camaro5 and numerous other forums recently. I'm not mixing up anything, you just can't READ.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4699 The SS as the base V8 is confirmed here with the new spy pics, you'll have to read the whole thread.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you know FOR A FACT that 2 V-8 Camaro models will be available at launch? No you don't. It's very possible that only one will arrive in the first year, and if that's the case, look out for serious price hikes. You're basing this all on speculation, so just relax and at lease wait until GM makes the announcement in September. Then you can revisit this thread.
I never said there would be 2 V8's at launch dude you have a SERIOUS reading problem!

The Mustang GT was the only V8 at launch, and you could find it for MSRP at launch. Please know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup. This person does sound like a foriegn car buyer. They think their know it all crap don't stink.
I own a 2007 Acadia SLT2 and a Saturn Aura.

I've owned a 2001 Tahoe, a 1999 Regal GS as well. How many new GM products have you owned?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Camaro's will fly of the shelf at market value because that's exactly what it will be worth. You could always buy the scale model and beat up the guy at toys r us over the price.
And I said already, I'd wait it out if I couldn't find a dealer to sell at MSRP or below...right that is entitlement....The point was a Chevy dealer telling you that other dealers won't get the Camaro.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
With the amount of anger spewed by your on going replies it sounds like you're mad that you can't afford one and sent an email to the dealer to make yourself feel better about not getting one. wah wah Wait a couple of weeks until they are on the lots and you will be able to buy them everywhere for sticker or less.

Real big issue

1 - 20 of 66 Posts