GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,443 Posts
Those are Soccer Mom rides. The dudes that used to drive limos drive trucks. Tarust me...
The guy that drives the limo isn't rich.
That's the person in back.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Rarely in America is a guy in the back, unless on a taxi ride to the airport or a livery.. the daily commute is increasingly done by Super Cruise
In a limo?
I'm a drinkin' in the back if I'm in a limo!!

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
Every year it will be going up.
By mid-decade there will be premium sedan and SUV models (think C-Class with E-Class interior space).
Prices will be much more inline with mainstream luxury brands.
They're even talking about a coupe and pickup, 500K units by the end of the decade.

No talk of $25K cars from Lucid, but they may sell the components for one to someone else.

I would be VERY interested in the 2025/2026 premium sedan.
They're about the only American automaker interested in making one.
Everyone else is either a hatch, SUV or truck.

I wouldn't expect Lucid to offer anything under $45,000 within the next 10 years.
Their next vehicle is the Gravity, which will compete with the EQ-GLS and the Range Rover EV. That's supposed to be announced this year with sales probably by 2024.
During that time, they'll be bringing the Air down to the $70,000 range. That should take them to 2025.

After that, I'd expect an EQE competitor, which will probably start in the $60,000 range and run to $100,000 or so. And then a EQ-GLE competitor. And then a EQC/EQ-GLC competitor would be the last. Maybe a high end coupe or convertible as well, depending on market conditions.

If Lucid is able to maintain 300-500,000 annual global sale, they'll be in good position as a boutique luxury manufacturer. And once they open in China and hit the young and wealthy demographic, they'll do just fine. Europe comes later this year.

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
Rarely in America is a guy in the back, unless on a taxi ride to the airport or a livery.. the daily commute is increasingly done by Super Cruise
Go to New York, where most of the livery are S-Class or Maybach. Also wealthy Asian families consider the S-Class as the "car to get," no matter what.
There is a market.
Mercedes averages ~2000 S-Class sales in the US per month. So it's not small potatoes for a $100,000+ car. I don't know how much of that is livery.

The real competitor to S-Class is Range Rover.

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
The S-Class still has a big market.
The USA is not everywhere. Lucid will be entering European markets immediately. China to follow.
There is a big market for luxury EVs and Tesla does not make luxury cars.
Correct. Tesla does not make luxury cars. And I don't think they should.
They are a premium car manufacturer.

Lucid is luxury. They market themselves as luxury. And they're building up their brand as a luxury brand.
They're also establishing a technology platform from which to build their cars, which is exactly what Tesla did, as well as GM and others.

Lucid is on my radar. But I don't really want a sedan. And I think Gravity will be too big for my needs.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I wouldn't expect Lucid to offer anything under $45,000 within the next 10 years.
I don't expect them to ever make anything under $50K.

Lucid is on my radar. But I don't really want a sedan. And I think Gravity will be too big for my needs.
They'll make an SUV version of the sedan I'm interested in.
The price with dual motors will probably be close to the MSRP of what I'm driving now, which is $70K.

·
Registered
44,547 Posts
I don't expect them to ever make anything under $50K.
You're probably right there.

They'll make an SUV version of the sedan I'm interested in.
The price with dual motors will probably be close to the MSRP of what I'm driving now, which is $70K.
I would estimate Gravity to be in the same range as the Air — $70-170,000. Higher to start, with cheaper versions forthcoming.
I'm in the market for something in the $65-75K range, though I could stretch higher if needed, I'd much prefer not to.

So, Lyriq, eTron, Air, Macan EV are in play. Though, if Velar just offered the PHEV in the US, I'd probably have an order in for it already.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Go to New York, where most of the livery are S-Class or Maybach. Also wealthy Asian families consider the S-Class as the "car to get," no matter what.
There is a market.
Mercedes averages ~2000 S-Class sales in the US per month. So it's not small potatoes for a $100,000+ car. I don't know how much of that is livery.

The real competitor to S-Class is Range Rover.
Th Xi function is destroying the Deng function, we will see a lot more Asian S class sales in New York, and as the corruption crackdown goes on, a lot of new rich

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
By mid-decade there will be premium sedan and SUV models (think C-Class with E-Class interior space).
Prices will be much more inline with mainstream luxury brands.
They're even talking about a coupe and pickup, 500K units by the end of the decade.
Talk is good, everybody likes talk. Any everybody is talking Big Game.
Unfortunately, you still have to get consumers to actually buy. Global poll just came out, percent of U.S. consumers who expect their next vehicle to be electric vs. other choices? 5%. 5%, and no time line specified (might be as far as 10 years out). These unfortunately realities throw quite the heavy blanket over wild-volume-in-short-time-span claims.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
That's it?!..I'm doing sugar that's meant for adult noses and choking hookers....respectfully of course.
There was a place down the highway a number of years ago that featured "dancers".
They had a limo that just drove up n down that highway all nite long.
Wonder what they were doing in there?

Place didn't last long.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I would estimate Gravity to be in the same range as the Air — $70-170,000. Higher to start, with cheaper versions forthcoming.
Gravity is going to be $$$$$$.
That which comes after Air and Gravity are what I'm interested in.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts