·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Reuss - LinkedIn
January 20, 2022
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

As I’ve said before, our people and manufacturing expertise will enable us to deliver an all-electric future at scale. Our first pre-production Cadillac LYRIQ has rolled off the line at Spring Hill, marking a major milestone for the LYRIQ program as the team prepares to ship vehicles to customers in a few months.

15 months ago we announced a $2 billion investment into Spring Hill to build fully electric vehicles. Our teams have worked tirelessly on the LYRIQ, bringing the launch up nine months ahead of schedule and working in parallel to convert the plant and start production. This is an important proof point in our path to EV leadership as we introduce more high-volume EVs across price points and lifestyles. I’m thankful to the Spring Hill and Cadillac teams for all their hard work. Congratulations on this huge milestone!

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,606 Posts
Looks like the smaller wheels than the previous photos...looks better IMO. Overall I'd say the photos look great, can't wait to see it on the road to make a final "judgement". For the $$$, I'd take a CT4 Blackwing any day of the week, but obviously this might make more sense for a family or something like that!

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,690 Posts
Are those comments a giant Ass Kissin' Contest or what?
Still, would love to see it in person soon.
Unlike the startups I could actually go five miles down the road and test drive one!

They won't be the closest to me though.
That would be Honda, which will be Ultium disguised as Hondas.
I really liked the retro concepts they showed awhile back.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Getting closer to seeing one in the flesh!

Generally how long do they run preproduction models until they switch over to production? Obviously they are looking for flaws/issues that need to be resolved - assuming a minimum of major issues, how long until they go to actual production of salable product?

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Getting closer to seeing one in the flesh!

Generally how long do they run preproduction models until they switch over to production? Obviously they are looking for flaws/issues that need to be resolved - assuming a minimum of major issues, how long until they go to actual production of salable product?
GM had shutdown the Springhill TN plant from October 4th through to December 6th to upgrade/retool the factory to build the Lyriq along side the Cadillac XT5, XT6 and GMC Acadia. So everything thing is there now for full scale production of the Lyriq. I suspect these pre-production vehicles are really to test out the new equipment & assembly process, while also training workers on the Lyriq.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Looks like the smaller wheels than the previous photos...looks better IMO. Overall I'd say the photos look great, can't wait to see it on the road to make a final "judgement". For the $$$, I'd take a CT4 Blackwing any day of the week, but obviously this might make more sense for a family or something like that!
I think the opposite - it looks strange with the smaller wheels -but then again so do most vehicles that are shown off in their top trims with large wheels and then have the lower trims with smaller wheels.

maybe it’s just because it’s in factory lighting but that front end looks too busy with all the lines for me.

I’m also trying to figure out what’s going on with the leading edge of that hood. It looks like it’s popped open in the middle, but then you look at the sides/corners and it looks like it lines up decently.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Although I think it's incredibly ugly, I am jealous that Caddy has a right-size EV crossover while Lincoln won't have one for 3-4 more years. Its weirdness will be striking on the road I'm sure, but the design choices on this thing are inexplicable and needless. Could have been far more intrinsically beautiful, less nonsensical. Although I think the bulk of my disdain for this design is all in the rear.

Isn't there some funky staged roll-out to the Lyriq? Something about RWD only for the first year?

The Mach E also has gloss black body cladding and wheels that look too small for its body (unless you get a GT). Only a few cars are doing gloss black cladding and I really like it, I think it looks good on Mach E and Blazer RS, maybe not on a Caddy however where it should probably be body-keyed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Although I think it's incredibly ugly, I am jealous that Caddy has a right-size EV crossover while Lincoln won't have one for 3-4 more years. Its weirdness will be striking on the road I'm sure, but the design choices on this thing are inexplicable and needless. Could have been far more intrinsically beautiful, less nonsensical. Although I think the bulk of my disdain for this design is all in the rear.

Isn't there some funky staged roll-out to the Lyriq? Something about RWD only for the first year?

It is funny how much it's starting to remind me of the Mach E with the gloss black body cladding and the smaller and narrow wheels with thicker sidewalls.
yeah there are some very strange design decisions on this thing….the old different for the sake of being different.

·
Registered
44,811 Posts
I think the opposite - it looks strange with the smaller wheels -but then again so do most vehicles that are shown off in their top trims with large wheels and then have the lower trims with smaller wheels.
Lyriq is only offering 20's to start. So, that has to be the 20's.
I think it's because of the black wheel well surrounds that cause this odd visual effect with the wheels.

maybe it’s just because it’s in factory lighting but that front end looks too busy with all the lines for me.
No... it really is that busy. It lacks any elegance and is busy for busy's sake.
The grille on their new InnerSpace concept is similar to Lyriq but is much better executed.

I’m also trying to figure out what’s going on with the leading edge of that hood. It looks like it’s popped open in the middle, but then you look at the sides/corners and it looks like it lines up decently.
Yeah. I chalk it up to being pre-production and bad lighting.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I guess I'm so used to seeing larger wheels that it looked smaller to me, as if 18" is small, but with that larger side wall it will definitely be a more compliant ride.
They look small because the car has black wheel flares that (in this picture) just looks like a larger opening.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,606 Posts

It's going to very interesting to see that front end for realz, esp. when it's lit up. Can't wait. I'm optimistic from the photos but holding off until seeing it to say for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The picture provided allows us to see that the tires are made by Michelin. However, there isn't enough resolution to see much else.

The ordering guide states that the base tires are 265/50R20, while the optional tires are 275/40R22. I looked for some better pictures, and found this one which provided better resolution and included some tire details.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Blue

These tires are Michelin Primacy. So I looked up these Michelin tires for the base model.

265/50/20 Tires from Michelin

These Primacy tires are listed as Luxury Performance tires with a 55,000 mile warranty. Click on the "Details" tab for more information.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 61 Posts