GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Penalty of leadership...." The epitath"

Cadillac should represent the highest level of experience.Granted we do not live in a perfect world.Yet when we as consumers in good faith believe you mean what you say.....When you say a Cadillac certified car is worthy of the Cadillac warranty why aren't we told the truth?
In our case we purchased a certified 1999 Seville STS. We were told the car exceeded the condition of the car when it was new.Of course that can't be the case but does used tires from 4 different cars constitute new tires?For our Dealer it did.Does turning the front rotors all the way down to the line of minimum tolerance constitute good brake reconditioning?Our Seville has more trips to the dealership to get repaired than any trip it has never been capable of taking.
Then the final insult is to have your Customer Service Manager Jonathan Slaughter talk to me in a manner you would not expect from a impound lot in New York.Forget that Iam the customer in this picture and the product I am in ownership of represents what is claimed to be your pinnacle.
Yeah I am angry but more so resentful that matters of incredibly easy management have cost me time,deprived my family of safety and security and have destroyed my faith in a product I grew up really believing was the best that money could buy.
In the great scheme of things this will be just another seemingly irate customer who has a gripe against Cadillac.
Let me ask you, does a gripe warrant a letter to you and the public as a whole?
No it is a complete implosion of a cherished belief being flushed into the commonality of doing the least you can, when at one time as a leader you showed the world how you were the better of the best.
The penalty of leadership didn't die, it's safe with the companies who honor it.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
It seems to me that your gripe should be directed at the dealership that initially certified the car, and that later refuses to service the shoddy work it did.

I had a really bad experience with a Dutton Cadillac-GMC in Riverside, CA. For one bad seat heater element in a GMC Denali, I was at the dealership six times until they actually fixed it. In each of the first five times, they gave the vehicle back to me claiming it was fixed, and each time, I was able to show within a minute that it wasn't.

They began to treat me as if I was some sort of troublemaker for actually expecting them to fix it properly. And to make matters worse, on the day I finally got it back fixed, it was absoluetly filthy and they had left used coffee cups in it, one of them still half-full in the cup-holder.

These guys really suck, so I wrote GM a letter, named names, and took my business elsewhere. I swore then that I would never go back to Dutton to buy or service any car, and I never have. I do go there if I'm in the area and want to look at a new Cadillac or GMC (and now Pontiac and Buick) just for kicks, and I still get stares and dirty looks from the manager (who was on the CC list of my letter), but he can eat cake.

These days, I'm a very happy customer of Penske Cadillac in Torrance, CA.

As to the cars themselves, I've had six trouble-free Cadillacs, so no complaint there either. B)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Some dealerships service centers (I say this because they are usually unrelated to the sales people) just stink. They get fat & lazy, and do the absolute minumum when you bring your car in for service, knowing that many people don't even consider outside shops for service while under warranty -- so they've got the market cornered. It can be worse if that dealer is the only GM dealer for many miles, and has people locked in because of their geographic advantage.

I've stopped going to the dealer for service. I had an Express van with a bad fuel pump or *something* -- they never figured it out and tried fixing it 3 times. I figure if the Chevy dealership can't discover a problem with their own vehicle, why should I waste time paying more for their service?

Besides, with so many to choose from, finding a good 3rd party mechanics shop is not difficult, and the parts and labor tend to be cheaper, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MY comments rather than beef is directed at cadillac and the Customer Service.The certification procedure for the car requires documentation that the car has had work done to bring it up to standards.I so totally agree with you.From now on I will look at all four tires of any car I purchase to see what the dot dates on em are.In the case of our Seville each year was different and each tire had different used wear psatterns.I am trying to warn people that the Sales Manager and Used Car Manager and Service Manager all swore that the tires were new brand new ordered from a tire dealer.It wasn't until Sonic Corporation who owns the Cadillac Dealership in Nashville hired people from Bill Heard Chevrolet did the ball get dropped aouyt the history of the tires.They were most likely taken off trade ins and just replaced with tires of worse wear.It wass becasuse of this "grey" area that ultimately the tirtes were replaced with new tires as promised at the thime of sale.What I am warning about is the damage that has been done to our car because of these tires and the warranty Manager Jonathan Slaughter at Cadillac says the warped rotors on the casr are from normal wear.

Do you agree that rotors turned to their minimum dimension allowed are normal?Coupled with new brake pads you are immediately going to create a abnormal situation as the car has the brakes aspplied.

Now mind you these items might have been noted when the front suspension was rebuilt because the vibration created by the tires had destroyed the upper rubber/donut shields and turned them to powder.The dealer where the car is at now has there hands tied but all 4 rotors and brakes on our car have the same wierd ancestory that had existed on the tires.Also the service advisor said that I need to get used to replacing motor mounts every oil change.

Sorry but thats a bunch of bull and a Yugo would be more reliable.We'd get rid of the car but it has no trade-in value and now I know why. I am not belittling your beloved Cadillac I am saying here in Nashville you have no recourse because one Dealer is strait out of the movie used cars and the other relies on GM warranty services.In our case our situation was deemed not worthy of involvement by GM or Cadillac.Jonathan Slaughter the Manager at Cadillac went into "I will talk slower so you can understand speak with me".WE say you did it any facts or documentation you have doesn't matter, we never ever honor rotor repairs as warranty , any fault has been created by you.
How would you feel?As an adult and a professional you think well, when something comes up it will be handled with professionalism and dignity especially with a Cadillac.Instead you get a very poor David Spade impression and you have a car that now is not driveable and has to be flat bedded to your driveway.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Cadillac relies on its dealer network to properly certify used cars with the GM "Certified" stamp of approval. GM cannot possibly audit every single certification and inspect every single certified used car any more than McDonald's can make sure every one of its restaurants is cooking up Big Macs to their standard for how a Big Mac should be prepared.

Your beef is with the dealership my friend, which leaves you with two options:

1. Whine and complain and go buy another car because all Cadillacs obviously suck now that you've had a bad dealership experience, or

2. Write, phone, or whatever you have to do to contact GM and let them know what this dealership is doing and that they are obligated to make you whole

I know that sounds rough, but it's equally harsh and unfair for you to trivialize the positive experience guys like me have had with my six Cadillacs just because you got screwed by one bad dealership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry that it comes across as "whining"

Cadillac cannot audit every certified vehicle, see I agree with you, I am not a victim of the universe.However all Consumers need to be warned that Cadillac does not stand behind it's certified warrantied vehicles. They will change what they consider terms of warranty to fit whatever circumstances they deem appropriate. I'm glad you have had wonderful experiences with your six Cadillac's. I have only owned three so I am most certainly in no postion to equate my experiences to meet your standards however I will warn everyone I see NOT to buy Cadillac front wheel drives based upon the G-Platform.1998-2004 Sevilles and Devilles.

In our case the 1999 STS was an early version of the designed in flaw of these front wheel drive vehicle. It lends a very strong reason why the Seville is going back to rear wheel drive in 2005.

Both Dealers here in Nashville are atypical of the Dealers who represented GM franchises in The San Francisco Bay Area 20 years ago.

Those Dealers including all the Cadillac franchises have imploded to small branch Dealerships attached to their main and thriving Luxury franchises, which in these cases are Lexus ,Infiniti
and Mercedes.

We are having the STS towed back to our home , where it will go into our garage.It is not driveable nor can it be trusted on the road not only for our safety but other drivers on the road. We were told that because we had dared suggest that the Dealer items we might check on the car we were punished by a complete dismassal of our concerns by the service manager and this information was presented by the rep from Cadillac Motor Car Division.

So we will buy another kind of car and this incident will fade as perhaps the diatribe of a unhappy owner. We realize we got screwed on this very inferior product but I will with every manner and measure that I can, warn people to not buy a Cadillac.

Granted I am in no position to know of what I speak because I have only been involved with the automobile Industry for 23 years and researching and studying Cadillac Motor Car Division since 1964.

this is not the Cadillac of Harley Earl, Harlowe Curtice or Ed Cole.

So I will take my bumps and move on this chapter is indeed closed but I ask you.....if the medium is the message? should the copy read Breakthrough or Breakdown?

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Even Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have sporadic issues like these. Not every car is perfect and certainly not every dealer is perfect. These companies are so big that it's difficult to maintain 100% - 100% of the time. It's certainly not impossible for you to buy from another luxury car manufacturer and have the same issues - from car to dealer. It just sometimes happens...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts