GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Centralized thread for sales results for March, all "other" manufacturers. Please post what you find. I believe we can get this thread to work (it's a pretty useful reference afterwards).

[Mods, please move this to "General Industry News/Monthly Sales Results"]

American Honda March Sales Boosted by Record Car Sales
Fit sets all-time record, Civic sets monthly record

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted a March 2008 sales result of 138,734 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 4.2 percent based on the daily selling rate,* the company announced today. March 2007 sales results included two additional selling days and totaled 143,392.

Led by strong sales of the Accord, Civic and Fit, American Honda total car sales posted record monthly results of 83,214, an increase of 11.1 percent. Year-to-date, American Honda total vehicle sales reached 352,642, an increase of 0.9 percent.

"The Honda product portfolio is adapting well to the current direction of the marketplace," said **** Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda. "People are clearly being more strategic with their money as parts of the economy seek balance and other parts adjust to record-high gasoline prices."

The Honda Division posted March sales of 125,446 cars and light-trucks, an increase of 6.9 percent compared to year-ago results. Fit, up 73.8 percent to 6,835, eclipsed the previous all-time record of 6,450 set in August 2007. Civic, up 18.6 percent to 32,740, set a new March record, surpassing the previous mark of 30,037 set in 2000. Civic Hybrid sales leaped 44.3 percent to 3,769 to a new March record, beating the previous March record of 2,896 in 2005. Additional highlights include the Accord, up 6.8 percent to 36,214; the CR-V, up 3.9 percent to 18,974; and the Odyssey, up 3.4 percent to 13,261. Year-to-date, the Honda Division is up 2.8 percent to 315,102.

The Acura Division posted total vehicle sales of 13,288, down 15.8 percent. The MDX luxury SUV was Acura's best-selling model, with March sales of 4,434. Year-to-date, Acura Division total vehicle sales reached 37,540.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4451

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I guess the very numerous ads on tv/radio/etc might help (also did Honda decided to sell a couple more slim batch of vehicules to the... fleet market?)

then there the following exterpt from another article, I think I missed something when I was out to lunch
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23901682/page/2/
Honda Motor Co., which had bucked the downward sales trend in February, saw its 3 percent increase in car sales eroded by a 12 percent decline in truck and SUV sales. That drop was led by the Honda Pilot SUV, which saw sales fall 24 percent. Honda’s sales were flat for the first quarter.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
The Pilot is a pretty nice CUV but it sure is ugly. I liked it better in its original form. The current front end is worse. Functionally it is a great vehicle however.

Honda's import sales sure are taking off. They typically have the highest North American content on average of the import brands but it has to be dropping with the import growth. I assume the Fit comes from Japan, where is the Civic built?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the month to date figures. Like Greg Burr stated, the Fridgeline should show a decline, not flat line. Also, the Accord shows 6.8%, while the sales figures show a decline in units...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Honda sells 4658 less vehicles in march of this year compared to last year, and they have a 4% increase????? think again

[Mods, please move this to "General Industry News/Monthly Sales Results"]

American Honda March Sales Boosted by Record Car Sales
Fit sets all-time record, Civic sets monthly record

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted a March 2008 sales result of 138,734 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 4.2 percent based on the daily selling rate,* the company announced today. March 2007 sales results included two additional selling days and totaled 143,392.

Led by strong sales of the Accord, Civic and Fit, American Honda total car sales posted record monthly results of 83,214, an increase of 11.1 percent. Year-to-date, American Honda total vehicle sales reached 352,642, an increase of 0.9 percent.

"The Honda product portfolio is adapting well to the current direction of the marketplace," said **** Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda. "People are clearly being more strategic with their money as parts of the economy seek balance and other parts adjust to record-high gasoline prices."

The Honda Division posted March sales of 125,446 cars and light-trucks, an increase of 6.9 percent compared to year-ago results. Fit, up 73.8 percent to 6,835, eclipsed the previous all-time record of 6,450 set in August 2007. Civic, up 18.6 percent to 32,740, set a new March record, surpassing the previous mark of 30,037 set in 2000. Civic Hybrid sales leaped 44.3 percent to 3,769 to a new March record, beating the previous March record of 2,896 in 2005. Additional highlights include the Accord, up 6.8 percent to 36,214; the CR-V, up 3.9 percent to 18,974; and the Odyssey, up 3.4 percent to 13,261. Year-to-date, the Honda Division is up 2.8 percent to 315,102.

The Acura Division posted total vehicle sales of 13,288, down 15.8 percent. The MDX luxury SUV was Acura's best-selling model, with March sales of 4,434. Year-to-date, Acura Division total vehicle sales reached 37,540.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4451

[/quote]

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Looks like the people have spoken regarding the new bigger, uglier Accord. :)
Indeed, and as you may be pointing out facetiously, minnfang, I don't think GM fans can find cause to celebrate. March industry sales were off by 6.8% (again, adjusted for number of selling days), whereas Accord grew sales by 6.8%; the car picked up share in March. I'm unable to locate YTD sales for the industry, though the Accord is off by just 3.9%; it's a reasonable bet to assume the industry as a whole is off by more, and the Accord again picked up share. Not surprising. It's a nice car, though, of course, you won't see me in one.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
36K+ Accords on top of almost 41K Camrys sold in March '08...any word on Altima sales for March '08?

EDIT: found it...Nissan sold over 31K Altimas for March.

So, let's see....Accord/Camry/Altima sales: almost 108K. Malibu/G6/Aura sales: a little over 36K.

Epic fail.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Indeed, and as you may be pointing out facetiously, minnfang, I don't think GM fans can find cause to celebrate. March industry sales were off by 6.8% (again, adjusted for number of selling days), whereas Accord grew sales by 6.8%; the car picked up share in March. I'm unable to locate YTD sales for the industry, though the Accord is off by just 3.9%; it's a reasonable bet to assume the industry as a whole is off by more, and the Accord again picked up share. Not surprising. It's a nice car, though, of course, you won't see me in one.
GM's results have nothing to do with my point. The Accord is an all new car that has had time to ramp. If it were well accepted, Honda would be enjoying significant sales increases. Especially considering the bajillion Accord TV commercials that I've seen.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
36K+ Accords on top of almost 41K Camrys sold in March '08...any word on Altima sales for March '08?

EDIT: found it...Nissan sold over 31K Altimas for March.

So, let's see....Accord/Camry/Altima sales: almost 108K. Malibu/G6/Aura sales: a little over 36K.

Epic fail.
Wow, that's a totally valid comparison. :rolleyes:

Accord 36k
Camry 41k
Altima 31k
Fusion/Milan/MKZ 23k
Taurus/Sable 9k
Impala/LaCrosse/Grand Prix 33k
Malibu/G6/AURA/9-3 38.5k

·
Registered
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wow, that's a totally valid comparison. :rolleyes:

Accord 36k
Camry 41k
Altima 31k
Fusion/Milan/MKZ 23k
Taurus/Sable 9k
Impala/LaCrosse/Grand Prix 33k
Malibu/G6/AURA/9-3 38.5k
Is it a valid comparison...as you can see, the domestics are fighting for sales among themselves...they aren't stealing any of Honda's/Nissan's/Toyota's sales.

Instead of 3 different Ford midsize cars, just build one great one.

Instead of 4 different GM midsize cars, just build one or two great ones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts