GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marathon to Offer Only Ethanol Blended Gasoline at 16 Midwest Terminals Effective May 1, 2008

FINDLAY, Ohio, March 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) today announced that the Company will convert to 100 percent ethanol blended fuel (E-10 gasohol) at 16 of its Midwest terminals beginning May 1, 2008. Unblended gasoline products will no longer be available at the following terminals; Indianapolis (86th Street) and Muncie, Ind.; Louisville (Algonquin), Ky.; Detroit (Refinery Rack), Romulus, Niles (South), Bay City, Flint, Lansing and Jackson, Mich.; Brecksville, Lima, Oregon, Lebanon and Cincinnati, Ohio; and Milwaukee(Granville), Wis.

"Marathon is proud to announce that it will convert to 100 percent ethanol blended gasoline at these terminals," said Mary Ellen Peters, Marathon's senior vice president, Marketing. "Ethanol blended fuels help us meet the changing needs of our customers. It also supports our nation's renewable fuels goals, which were recently increased by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 to nine billion gallons of renewable fuel in 2008 and 36.0 billion gallons by 2022."

In response to this legislation and increasing customer demand for ethanol blended gasoline, the Company expanded ethanol blending to more than 625 million gallons in 2007. In addition, to ensure the security and flexibility of ethanol supply, the Company also has an equity interest in ethanol facilities in Clymers, Ind., and Greenville, Ohio, totaling in excess of 220 million gallons of annual gross ethanol capacity.

·
Registered
977 Posts
We are forced to run 10% ethanol blended gas here in the winter and my gas mileage is in the crapper.

Who are all these people that the article mentions that demand ethanol blend (and the reduction in gas mileage that goes with it)?

I am all for alternative fuels/hybrid tech, but ethanol is not it.

Marathon is doing this for $$$$ reasons.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are forced to run 10% ethanol blended gas here in the winter and my gas mileage is in the crapper.

Who are all these people that the article mentions that demand ethanol blend (and the reduction in gas mileage that goes with it)?

I am all for alternative fuels/hybrid tech, but ethanol is not it.

Marathon is doing this for $$$$ reasons.
E10 has 3% less energy in it than gasoline. So mileage should be expected to drop from, say, 25 mpg to 24.25 mpg. Is that what you mean when you say your mileage is in the crapper -- three-quarters of a mile per gallon less?

Here is a tip: if you have not checked the pressure in your tires in the past month, do it. You will more than make up the difference.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
All the sunoco stations here in western pa have been selling E10 for years now, used to use them all the time, and then switched to BP, Did notice about 20 miles per tank less when running the Sunoco, I have however switched back to Sunoco, due to it being up to E10, and with the exception of a slight difference un usage, the car runs no different.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the sunoco stations here in western pa have been selling E10 for years now, used to use them all the time, and then switched to BP, Did notice about 20 miles per tank less when running the Sunoco, I have however switched back to Sunoco, due to it being up to E10, and with the exception of a slight difference un usage, the car runs no different.
If you are getting 20 miles less per tank, it is not because of the ethanol. It is because of the quality of the 90% gasoline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.