1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Cars in California Must Display Global Warming Score
By GreenBiz Staff
Published July 7, 2008

OAKLAND, Calif. -- California is making it mandatory for cars to be labeled with global warming scores, figures that take into account emissions from vehicle use and fuel production.

The law requiring the labels goes into effect at the start of next year for all 2009 model cars, though its expected the labels will be popping up on cars in the coming months.

The labeling law forces cars for sale to display a global warming score, on a scale of one to 10, which is based on how vehicles in the same model year compare to one another. The higher the score, the cleaner a car is. The score takes into account emissions related to production of fuel for each vehicle as well as the direct emissions from vehicles.

The score will be displayed next to the already-required smog score, which also rates cars one to 10 for how many smog-forming emissions they emit. For both scores, an average vehicle will have a score of five.

California is the first state of pass such as law, and a similar law will take effect in New York for 2010 model year vehicles. Global warming scores will be included on the state's DriveClean website.

While this law is intended to help consumers take into account emissions while purchasing cars, a proposed law in the European Union would require E.U. public sector bodies put a price on emissions.

A law endorsed by the European Parliament's Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety would make governments put a monetary cost on the emissions of vehicles they plan to purchase, and add that to expense calculations. The law would exclude certain types of vehicles, such as ambulances and fire trucks.

Source: http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2008/07/07/cars-california-global-warming-score

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
they should have just used the EU Energy consumption system .. but that would be too simple - and California HAS to have its own way.

That said - how is this different from the EPA scale already on the window sticker? I assume the GW score is just the FE / CO2 scale from EPA .. so what gives?

Igor

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love Earth, nature, and clean air as much as the next guy. But why the hell call it the "Global Warming Score"? Why not pollutant score or just combine it with the already existing smog score?
It's these kind of moves that remind me why I left that state.

·
Premium Member
35,875 Posts
Dear sweet Jesus...a "score" attached to a con job extraordinaire.

Of course, they've got the hook, line, and sinker in so deep that they will never ever admit how wrong they are.

What a bunch of loonies. No, make that imbeciles. :bounce:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love Earth, nature, and clean air as much as the next guy. But why the hell call it the "Global Warming Score"? Why not pollutant score or just combine it with the already existing smog score?
It's these kind of moves that remind me why I left that state.
Agreed. And didn't NASA just release a study that showed that not only has the Earth been cooling for 10 years but also we have another 30 years of slight cooling on the way as well? Isn't that why "they" have changed the from "Global Warming to "Climate Change" which was more accurate in the first place? I guess it just lacked the ability to scare the **** out of people...:confused:

More utter stupidity and agenda driven' politics.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
I promise to vote for any presidential candidate who vows not to pull an Abraham Lincoln if Duncan Hunter takes to the floor of the House and declares "Madam Speaker, California secedes from the union."

·
Registered
615 Posts
How would they rate the impact of generating electricity? Some places use old coal fired plants, others use nuclear or hydro so it depends where you charge...

Same goes for Ethanol - from corn, cellulosic, etc...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
and California HAS to have its own way.
Yes its called states rights. Anyway I think I need to write a letter.

I promise to vote for any presidential candidate who vows not to pull an Abraham Lincoln if Duncan Hunter takes to the floor of the House and declares "Madam Speaker, California secedes from the union."
I will be glad if we leave. So many things from the national government that makes no sense are being pushed onto all citizens without votes. Regulation E, a 55mph speed limit, tax laws. yikes were is my Constitution?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Yes its called states rights. Anyway I think I need to write a letter.

I will be glad if we leave. So many things from the national government that makes no sense are being pushed onto all citizens without votes. Regulation E, a 55mph speed limit, tax laws. yikes were is my Constitution?
I am not taking away their right - I am just saying - it is better to start unifying the information bombarding people left and right - EU got it right - they developed one single energy scale - with a nice scoring representation - and whether Jellymounds likes it or not - after decades on fridges and dishwashers, it is burned into people's minds - so now - on cars - it is instantly understood.

Igor

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Dear sweet Jesus...a "score" attached to a con job extraordinaire.

Of course, they've got the hook, line, and sinker in so deep that they will never ever admit how wrong they are.

What a bunch of loonies. No, make that imbeciles. :bounce:
I should've known you'd beat me to it.

What's next, the Motor Vehicle Unicorn Index?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So let me guess, car manufacturers must pay a company owned partly by Al Gore to have thier cars scored right?

Why don't they also include the % of "global warming" causing gases in the air, then the % contribued by man, THEN the % contributed from cars. You know, to give consumers all the info needed to make an informed decision.

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
:lame:

They should also have an index to see how much the moon affects the vehicles driving dynamics during its Harvest, it COULD have a severe effect...

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
How many trees will be destroyed each year to produce the stickers? Do they take that into account when calculating the score?

·
Registered
547 Posts
We used to be a great state, now we're just pathetic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
{QUOTE]I will be glad if we leave. So many things from the national government that makes no sense are being pushed onto all citizens without votes. Regulation E, a 55mph speed limit, tax laws. yikes were is my Constitution?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I have nothing against many of the individuals that reside in California. The entire culture of the state is certainly accelerating the downfall of the rest of the nation.

Now, don't get me wrong, the country would still have plenty of problems if the eastern most side of the San Andreas fault became the Western most shore of the US, but the continuing need to place the wellfare of the planet above the wellfare of the country is ignorant of the greater picture, which is-

The planet will take care of itself.

The planet can also tolerate alot more pollution than we can. Worst case scenario, we pollute the planet to the point where it can no longer support life. Guess what Greenies, that includes us. Once we're gone, another couple hundred thousand years, and life will begin again from bacteria/god will create another Adam and Eve(whichever you believe), as it had orginially began.

See my point? By burying us in environmental legislation so tight it can turn unburnt coal into diamonds, they are forcing people to live more cheaply, i.e. using paper plates because they are cheaper than paying the additional money to the water/electric company to run the dishwasher, eating less healthy because when you really break it down, buying things off the dollar menu at McDonalds is cheaper than buying a breast of chicken and boiling it, etc.

Living healthy is far more expensive than living unhealthy. How many overweight people do you see living in trailerparks down south? Now how many do you see among people who make more than 100k a year? I rest my case.

Save a tree, kill another human. Just keep drinking your Starbucks and throwing away the wax paper cups by the thousand, requiring safety features that will save about 500 lives worldwide but only end up degrading the quality of life for millions as they can no longer afford a vehicle.

The sooner that California realizes that you can't legislate yourself into becoming the nations moral compass, the better.

Now I'm off to check the earthquake report on the news and see if California ends up like Atlantis.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We used to be a great state, now we're just pathetic.
Nah. It's just one more sticker that buyers will ignore. How many people have based their purchase decision on the Smog impact sticker? I'm guessing few to none. It's probably the last thing on the list - way behind price, power, style, and fuel economy.

Seriously, have you ever not entered a building due to Proposition 65 warning? Nobody cares.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems to me that a low score should represent lower emission, they have it backwards. Also since it appears to be based on the average vehicle, the car you buy 5 years from now may cause far less 'global warming', but will have the same near average score as the one you buy today.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think every car should also add the pollution created in shipping the car as part of it's score.

Maybe they can do it over the course of the 5 years and 60k miles and show it as a seperate line to have a total at the end.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts