GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- General Motors is moving four of its five regional general managers to its headquarters here and eliminating those positions.

GM also has added a general sales manager to its channels. The moves are part of an effort to better manage its eight brands and eliminate a layer of bureaucracy.

GM has organized its brands into four channels: Chevrolet, Buick-Pontiac-GMC, Cadillac-Hummer-Saab and Saturn. Now it has changed the job responsibilities and titles of several of its channel leaders.

Effective July 1, GM will make the following changes to its field operations:

• Steve Hill, 47, will return to Detroit to become general sales manager for the premium channel. Hill now is general manager for the North Central region. He will report to Mark McNabb, 47, vice president of the premium channel.

• Kurt McNeil44, will join the Detroit team to become Chevrolet general sales manager. He is general manager of the South Central region.

• Brian Sweeney, 40, will become Buick-Pontiac-GMC general sales manager. He is general director of Buick-Pontiac-GMC retail development.

• At Saturn, Sterling Wesley, 54, will become general sales manager. He is executive director of Motors Holding Division.

• Dave Borchelt, 61, will retire. He is regional general manager of the Southeast.

• Scott Mackie, 47, is on special assignment and will get a permanent assignment soon. He is regional general manager of the Northeast.

Susan Docherty, GM's West Coast general manager, was named vice president of Buick-Pontiac-GMC this year.

www.autonews.com

GM Leadership???? now there's an oxymoron like none other.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Well, Lutz could incorporate Stalinist leadership qualities and have a "Great Purge" of his own...

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Rearranging the deck chairs....
And we have a winner already.

See, it's not that Buick is the problem, per se. It's the uninspired folks who lead the division without a single bit of vision who are the problem. Similar things could be said of Pontiac, GMC, Chevrolet, Saturn, Saab... you get the idea. I suspect that very little will be accomplished with these moves, beyond changing titles and increasing salaries of execs whose performance actually merits a demotion and a decrease in salary... in lieu of being shown the door.

Yet, I'm supposed to believe that trimming one of any number of divisions will solve GM's woes. Uh, huh, yup, I believe that.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
someone said they have to change their marketing...oh yeah, it was me.

instead they come with bs programs. another one today. if you have GM vehicle that has been discontinued, you get another rebate, if you're on "the list". this is simply ridiculous, but hey it's actually the norm for these bozos.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
GM has a marketing department?

I thought it was just a song creation factory.

You certainly know nothing about a GM product from any ad. The worst ever product launch, the not so new GMT-900 was a bomb - it featured a song and nothing more. GM rushed trucks to market that had not one compelling advantage (and GM was hard pressed to find anything to market with the truck).

The Malibore launch was a fiasco - the vehicles were launched in the dullest colors - not flattering ones - and you knew nothing about the product other than it was compared to a Camry. You didn't know what a Malibore did better than a Camry (nothing), but it was compared to it nonetheless.

GM's launch of its much hyped and underperforming triplette of Outcadia, Arlook, and Enverse (soon to be a quad with Traclave) offered not one clue why these products were competitive.

If GM stopped marketing, it wouldn't do any worse. The money it saves could end up being used to give Pontiac a version of the Outlook in the front with the Enclave in the back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amazing to see a company of this size and with this many MbAs still mess around with this channel bullcrap. Simply grouping brands is going to do NOTHING as far as addressing the core issue - GM has too many brands competing in the same few segments.

This is RUBBISH. GM needs new management NOW.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is better than the days of old, just rolling the dices.
I hope for the brands stake that the Buick and Saab guys put up their hands and start producing vehicle based off the great looking concept respectfully for these brands, Ie:Saab Aero X & Buick Invicta.If so Germans and Japanese beware GM's coming for your lunch money!

·
Registered
489 Posts
So if Hummer is Killed off or sold to Tata we're going to have Cadillac - Saab dealers?

I still think Saturn-Saab is better.

Products are too much alike, it would be like Chevy and Pontiac under one roof.in house bidding wars are never good or justifiable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.