GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a yungin', there was no better way to approximate the thrill of actually driving a car than terrorizing my backyard with a Tamiya Blackfoot. The Blackfoot was a 1:10 scale Ford F-150 monster truck with four independent shocks, two-wheel drive and a plastic flareside body. Fast forward to 2008, and it's not uncommon to see Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters piloting full-size rocket cars from a helicopter using an R/C controller similar to the one I used back in the day. Perhaps that's why the sight of a full-size, right-hand-drive, radio-controlled HUMMER H3 doesn't shock us much, but we still have to give mad props to engineer Dr. James Brighton from Cranfield University for creating an R/C car that rivals my Blackfoot. GM says the remote-controlled HUMMER can climb a 407mm vertical wall, traverse a 40% side slope and run through 610mm of water. Yeah, but can it jump two tree branches? I thought not. Blackfoot FTW.

SOURCE: Man creates 1:1 scale remote-controlled HUMMER H3 - Autoblog

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't see how it could be any more fun than driving it.

It's not like he's going to do jumps or anything that you would do with a real r/c car.

too much at risk in case of a crash.

1/2 the fun of RC cars is smashing them, flippng them, etc...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
whoa the site got a makeover...pretty cool considering i was just here a few hours ago haha. very nice. anyway

this things kinda cool, driving would be more fun but hell i wouldnt mind being able to say HEY look what i have...an im sure this guy's the same.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
It'd be sweet to pilot it through an off road course

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It would be even cooler if he attached the controls to the dashboard area so he could control the H3 from inside...oh wait.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Guess you could have a little fun with it. Get drunk, put the dog behind the wheel and you sit in the back seat......:fall:

I hope everyone takes that as a joke.....:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't see how it could be any more fun than driving it.

It's not like he's going to do jumps or anything that you would do with a real r/c car.

too much at risk in case of a crash.

1/2 the fun of RC cars is smashing them, flippng them, etc...
I agree. If you built a 1:1 scale, then hell, drive it. I can't tell you how many times I destroyed my Silverado R/C truck. Only to repair it and keep seeing how high of a jump I could clear or how many times I could get it to flip. If you had a crap load of land, I don't know how using it as a R/C car could be more fun than getting behind the wheel and really doing some off-roading.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How bout a 1:1 version of Robby Gordon's truck, now that would be kewl. And control it from a helicopter. Yeah I know, keep on dreaming...............la la la la la la la.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts