GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Malibu Production May Be Suspended In "Mid-April" Due To American Axle Strike

Source - Automotive News Email Alert

DETROIT -- General Motors will have to shut production by mid-April of its hot-selling Chevrolet Malibu if supplier American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. can't end a strike by the UAW, a UAW official said today.

GM is fast running out of an American Axle-supplied knuckle used in the rear suspension of the Malibu and Pontiac G6 sedans, said Mike Dunn, shop chairman of UAW Local 5960. The local represents some 2,900 hourly workers at GM's Orion (Mich.) assembly plant.

The plant makes about 1,000 G6 and Malibu sedans per week. Dunn said a shortage of the knuckle also will shut GM's Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas City, Kan., by mid-month. Fairfax is the main plant for Malibu production.

" I'm hoping GM can help resolve the strike before that happens, but we'll stand by our striking union brothers and sisters at American Axle if not," Dunn said.

GM spokesman Dan Flores declined to comment on the situation. American Axle spokeswoman Renee Rogers also declined comment on Monday evening.

So far, the strike has caused GM to idle seven truck plants, one sedan assembly operation and 22 parts plants. Suppliers have also slowed or idled several other plants.

GM today shut down sedan production at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, which makes the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS models.

Meanwhile, production at the Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant could shut down as early as this week, according to a bulletin posted on the Web site of UAW Local 1112.

The plant makes the Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac G5 models. American Axle makes a brake spindle sent to the plant through suppliers Delphi Corp. and Automodular, the UAW says.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Malibu Production May Be Suspended In "Mid-April" Due To American Axle Strike

Truth or UAW Public Relations?
Truth or not get this...UAW = Death of the US Auto Industry. Please GM, move it all to third world countries who will work harder, for less, and probably be 1000 times happier about having said job. Sorry state of affairs. once again, Toyota is laughing/licking its chops!

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Re: Malibu Production May Be Suspended In "Mid-April" Due To American Axle Strike

I personally blame the bloodsucking management munchkins for this mess.
Seriously, all management wants is to bite the little guy in the <censored> and steal his Cadillac and 30,000 sq.ft. house.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,686 Posts

I hope they're not wasting any of these parts on G6's.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

Seriously, all management wants is to bite the little guy in the <censored> and steal his Cadillac and 30,000 sq.ft. house.
Spoken like the PLANE we all know and love. Trouble is, too many buy this crap.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Truth or not get this...UAW = Death of the US Auto Industry. Please GM, move it all to third world countries who will work harder, for less, and probably be 1000 times happier about having said job. Sorry state of affairs. once again, Toyota is laughing/licking its chops!
I hope this is a "tongue in cheek" reply:confused:

The AAM strike is to prevent workers making $14 to $18 an hour from having to take a 50% pay cut. Given AAM has moved 60% of it's labor offshore, it's a thinly veiled attempt to get the other 40% there to. I'm not a big union fan, but I'm a card carrying American and I side with keeping the jobs in the US for the $14 to $18 an hour paid now to US workers.

By contrast, Toyota axles are produced in US plants for a similar hourly wage. Not a lot of laughing by Toyota on this one as GM is already competitive on axle pricing from suppliers with the best of the transplants US production.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

It doesn't matter what the unions say anymore...They lost the respect of most people a long time ago...LONG time ago. They think if they yell louder or threaten more they will get their way. Kind of like violent 13-year-olds.

This is just going to piss more people off.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

An 80% pay cut would bring them below minimum wage. Try coming up with real facts. Toyota has unions in Japan, but not here. Which country do you think they really care about?

·
Registered
73 Posts

And that one buyer that was considering buying that malibu and turning in his toyota is going to think twice. "Hmmm, I can wait for a strike to end (God knows when ) to get the malibu. Or I can go to my Toyota dealership and have my pick from 100" "I think I'll go to toyota" Thank you UAW!!!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts

1,000 units per week? I hope this is a misprint, or do they hand pound the body panels! Unfortunately, this situation seems not about negotiation, but AAM's ultimatum. It will be interesting to see how long before GM steps in, although I did read today AAM was looking for replacement workers.

·
Registered
135 Posts

You won't be happy until all working american are making the .25 cents per hr. that the 3rd world people make... I am so tired of you all wanting the workers to give back give back but none of you want too. Today management is so over paid and near sited that all they worry about is today bottom line. That is the big difference between Toyota and american car manufactures. Toyota was willing to loose money on each pirus built as long as it gave them the title of the company that cares. GM had a good no emission car out and what did they do killed it instead of improving on it. But we all know it was the union fault that it didn't work... Everything is the union fault and nothing is management fault. I hope that GM and all US manufacturers move all jobs over sea, then you can be so happy when this country gets invaded and taken over because we won't have the mean to produce and defend ourselves.

·
Registered
73 Posts

"American Axle, formed from parts plants sold by GM in 1994, says its hourly manufacturing labor cost is $73.48 in wages and benefits, three times the rate at its U.S. competitors. American Axle wants to cut that to $20 to $30 an hour, which would be similar to the agreements reached between the UAW and the in-house axle-making operations at Ford and Chrysler as well other parts suppliers.
Local union officials say workers make far less than $73.48 per hour, and that the figure includes retiree health care and other costs that shouldn't be add in"

Even after you take out the health care costs as well as the other stuff. The pay rate is about +/- $50.00 per hour. I make $14.50 working retail. My wife make $13.50 in the medical field. I work 38-39 hours (with NO overtime) she works 40 hrs. We each have our own medical,dental, etc... (Granted we dont have any kids yet!) We can still afford our two car payments, mortgage, insurance credit cards, etc, etc.... We still have money at the end of the month to live OK. SO if the people are making $18.00/hr with probably overtime. I dont see what all the hubbub is about? Granted they have to pay union dues but I'm sure they have another working member in their family, right? Maybe alittle cost cutting here and there and I'm sure they could make it. What are they going to due if American Axle says "Well were closing the plant, all your Jobs are going to MEXICO!!" What then, I'm sure $18.00/hr never looked so good..

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

I'm not the biggest union supporter in the world. I do however think this post is misguided and without much thought...

·
Banned
6,540 Posts

Unions ... continually showing their uselessness. I hope GM stands firm. Destroying these thugs welfare units is an absolute necessity if America is going to compete in the 21st century with the rest of the world. America can ill afford these welfare units for lazy, greedy workers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

You won't be happy until all working american are making the .25 cents per hr. that the 3rd world people make... I am so tired of you all wanting the workers to give back give back but none of you want too. Today management is so over paid and near sited that all they worry about is today bottom line. That is the big difference between Toyota and american car manufactures. Toyota was willing to loose money on each pirus built as long as it gave them the title of the company that cares. GM had a good no emission car out and what did they do killed it instead of improving on it. But we all know it was the union fault that it didn't work... Everything is the union fault and nothing is management fault. I hope that GM and all US manufacturers move all jobs over sea, then you can be so happy when this country gets invaded and taken over because we won't have the mean to produce and defend ourselves.
It is not that simple, but I am not even going to begin to explain. It takes a lot of education in economics, etc. and really can't explain in simple rhetoric.

A quick response to "making nothing": the unions had a big hand in helping ship jobs overseas/ "drop wages" through their ridiculous demands and hate-mongering. Maybe it is time the unions actually spent some of those hard-earned unions dues ON UNION MEMBERS, not political agendas.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I couldn't agree more!:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.