GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM dealer had one tonight. Stopped in to look after hours, but it turned out a salesman stayed late, and ended up coming out to sell it to me.

How did I know it was a hybrid? Well the 7 giant HYBRID stickers all over it gave me my first clue. I don't know what the price was because one of the stickers was plastered over the window sticker. The fuel economy was visible however.

When I saw those numbers, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you would buy one.
4 cyl with the 6 speed gets 30 mpg city and 46 mpg highway. Hybrid gets 33 mpg city and 46 highway.

The LTZ 4 cyl 6 speed can be had for $31,500 but the Hybrid costs $27,000. Granted that's nearly $5000 difference, but AFAIK the hybrid is basically a base version isn't it? The base version can be had for $23000. Next year when the 6 speed is available on the $25,000 LT model I think you'd have a hard time selling too many of these fake hybrids.

3 mpg...and only in city driving... and they stick this in front of the showroom plastered with 7 huge HYBRID stickers? Luckily they were thinking enough to take the stickers off the other Malibu's, or people would have thought it was a joke.

While 3 mpg may be nice, if someone is shopping for a real hybrid and sees this, then looks at the sticker on a Camry hybrid...it doesn't matter that this is a mild hybrid that that is a true one, they will see a huge leap for the Camry, and next to nothing on the Malibu. That is sad, because the regular Malibu is so damn good.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Chevy should just advertise the car as a 4-cyl Malibu with a huge starter because that's what it is.
Then when ConsumerGuide or Edmund's test it (NOT Consumer Reports!!!!), they will automatically say it gets better mileage than the non-hybrid competition, causing more buyers to go to the Chevy dealerships.
GM makes excellent cars but has an inept advertising campaign.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So let me get this straight. You consider it terrible that a car gets 3 mpg better in the city? Secondly, the first hybrid sold in North America wasn't the two-mode Prius. It was the Honda Insight in 1999. And guess what, it functioned exactly like BAS. While BAS doesn't get the best mileage of the hybrids, it is GM that owns it. They didn't have to go and buy Toyota's system like Nissan and they didn't have to pay for patents like Ford.

I personally think it is a fantastic system. Unlike Honda's system, it could be put on any engine as long as it had enough power(BAS+). That is a nice, cheap, KISS system that doesn't cost a lot. Honda's goes between the engine and the transmission which requires a little more engineering to include it. GM's only problem is that they can't get enough batteries for the damn things. Too bad we exported our high tech battery industry too!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So let me get this straight. You consider it terrible that a car gets 3 mpg better in the city? Secondly, the first hybrid sold in North America wasn't the two-mode Prius. It was the Honda Insight in 1999. And guess what, it functioned exactly like BAS. While BAS doesn't get the best mileage of the hybrids, it is GM that owns it. They didn't have to go and buy Toyota's system like Nissan and they didn't have to pay for patents like Ford.

I personally think it is a fantastic system. Unlike Honda's system, it could be put on any engine as long as it had enough power(BAS+). That is a nice, cheap, KISS system that doesn't cost a lot. Honda's goes between the engine and the transmission which requires a little more engineering to include it. GM's only problem is that they can't get enough batteries for the damn things. Too bad we exported our high tech battery industry too!
You argue like my girlfriend, taking things I didn't say and twisting them.

I never said it was terrible for a car to get better gas mileage, I just think that if someone sees this car with HYBRID plastered all over it and compare it's only marginally better economy to say a Camry hybrid, they are going to walk away with the already ingrained image of American cars not being as efficient as Japanese cars.

Jenny Smith isn't going to know the Camry has a full system and the Malibu doesn't, she sees HYBRID badges on both and 33/46 on the Malibu and 50/50 on the Camry....that leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.

BAS should be on EVERY car, it's a great system, but shutting the engine off doesn't make your car a hybrid. This should be on all GM vehicles, but just as a standard feature, because adding an electric motor for the AC does not a hybrid make.

My windows have electric motors too, but it doesn't make my car a hybrid.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How did I know it was a hybrid? Well the 7 giant HYBRID stickers all over it gave me my first clue. I don't know what the price was because one of the stickers was plastered over the window sticker. The fuel economy was visible however.

The one that I have seen at Anderson's Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick GMC in woodstock, had a price of $28,000 and it had no big Hybrid stickers on it though, only the small Hybrid badges.

Also don't forget on Canada we get rebates for buying hybrids and flexfuel vehicles, I think the malibu is $1000, or it could be more

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You argue like my girlfriend, taking things I didn't say and twisting them.

I never said it was terrible for a car to get better gas mileage, I just think that if someone sees this car with HYBRID plastered all over it and compare it's only marginally better economy to say a Camry hybrid, they are going to walk away with the already ingrained image of American cars not being as efficient as Japanese cars.

Jenny Smith isn't going to know the Camry has a full system and the Malibu doesn't, she sees HYBRID badges on both and 33/46 on the Malibu and 50/50 on the Camry....that leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.

BAS should be on EVERY car, it's a great system, but shutting the engine off doesn't make your car a hybrid. This should be on all GM vehicles, but just as a standard feature, because adding an electric motor for the AC does not a hybrid make.

My windows have electric motors too, but it doesn't make my car a hybrid.
I sure hope your girlfriend is better looking than me or you are wearing more than beer goggles. But it is obvious that your girlfriend is very intelligent and only made one bad decision.

If the electric motors for the windows is helping to power your wheels, then it would be a hybrid.

3 mpg...and only in city driving... and they stick this in front of the showroom plastered with 7 huge HYBRID stickers? Luckily they were thinking enough to take the stickers off the other Malibu's, or people would have thought it was a joke.
And you were very negative about the hybrid Malibu, not just about the way the dealer was advertising it. You said it was a joke compared to the cars around it. Thus, I felt you were knocking the car. While you reference what the dealership did, most people project their personal feelings on to what other people must think.

A hybrid is the combination of two or more different things, aimed at achieving a particular objective or goal. In the case of automobiles, hybrid is the combination of a electric motor and a gas engine. But lets face it, it is a marketing term and has nothing to do with the mpg, 1 mode, two mode or infinity mode drivetrain. So the dealer is trying to sell a car with a marketing term. And bad perception is what keeps people from even going into American car dealerships regardless of if the Malibu was 60/60 in Canuckia, America, anywherica.

If they are truly doing their homework, then buyers know that it is going to cost more for the Camry than it is for the Malibu(The markup is around 2 to 3K around here). So it will still come down to which car they like better for the price: A better looking but cheaper Hybrid with a little better MPG - or - A higher price, better MPG but not as stylish Camry.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sure hope your girlfriend is better looking than me or you are wearing more than beer goggles. But it is obvious that your girlfriend is very intelligent and only made one bad decision.

If the electric motors for the windows is helping to power your wheels, then it would be a hybrid.

And you were very negative about the hybrid Malibu, not just about the way the dealer was advertising it. You said it was a joke compared to the cars around it. Thus, I felt you were knocking the car. While you reference what the dealership did, most people project their personal feelings on to what other people must think.

A hybrid is the combination of two or more different things, aimed at achieving a particular objective or goal. In the case of automobiles, hybrid is the combination of a electric motor and a gas engine. But lets face it, it is a marketing term and has nothing to do with the mpg, 1 mode, two mode or infinity mode drivetrain. So the dealer is trying to sell a car with a marketing term. And bad perception is what keeps people from even going into American car dealerships regardless of if the Malibu was 60/60 in Canuckia, America, anywherica.

If they are truly doing their homework, then buyers know that it is going to cost more for the Camry than it is for the Malibu(The markup is around 2 to 3K around here). So it will still come down to which car they like better for the price: A better looking but cheaper Hybrid with a little better MPG - or - A higher price, better MPG but not as stylish Camry.
I see your point, I just think for all the hoopla the dealer was making about the car it would be a bit more impressive. I agree it doesn't matter how you get to the numbers, but at the same time, I don't think the Malibu uses the electric motor to provide extra propulsion does it? Isn't it just for the AC unit so the engine can shut down?

My fear is that buyers already have an image of American cars not being as efficient as Japanese cars. Sure, they will notice a price difference, but if you see two cars side by side both with hybrid badges, and one gets a lot better economy than the other, you're going to wonder why. The problem arises when they don't care enough to research it and just assume Toyota makes a more efficient car...another sale lost to the land of the Rising Sun.

As for my girlfriend, <- I don't know what she was thinking, it wasn't my looks, that's for damn sure.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I see your point, I just think for all the hoopla the dealer was making about the car it would be a bit more impressive. I agree it doesn't matter how you get to the numbers, but at the same time, I don't think the Malibu uses the electric motor to provide extra propulsion does it? Isn't it just for the AC unit so the engine can shut down?

My fear is that buyers already have an image of American cars not being as efficient as Japanese cars. Sure, they will notice a price difference, but if you see two cars side by side both with hybrid badges, and one gets a lot better economy than the other, you're going to wonder why. The problem arises when they don't care enough to research it and just assume Toyota makes a more efficient car...another sale lost to the land of the Rising Sun.

As for my girlfriend, <- I don't know what she was thinking, it wasn't my looks, that's for damn sure.
And as you correctly pointed out, in a side by side match up, the customer that is looking at just MPG is where the camry will win. The dealer is only hoping that they can keep the customer from moving on to Toyota to make that comparison. So they use stickers to get that first stop.

The hybrid Malibu was a quick and dirty hybrid developed at light speed. It does add power to the drivetrain under-load in addition to start/stop. What I can't believe is that Toyota can sell the Camry Hybrid at the same price. Just the batteries are $1k more. Add all the electronics and it has to be at least $2k more to build. They are making little to no profit on it. Something that GM, Ford and Chrysler can't afford.

Until 2010-2011, GM won't have the drivetrains to get the efficiency. They will be the 1.4 DI HCCI turbo, BAS+ with 6 speed transmissions, Series hybrid, etc. I am just afraid what the japanese will have in 2010-11. If the Prius gets plugin, lithium-ion batteries and 40 mile electric only range for $25,000, what more does the Volt offer at $35,000?

·
Banned
1,083 Posts

Good insight/very perceptive, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts