GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._cylinder_midsize_sedan_comparison/index.html

The Chev Malibu was the eighth place finisher out of ten (top 5 still unknown).

10. 2008 Dodge Avenger
9. 2009 Mitsubishi Galant
8. 2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ - Poor finish for arguably the best looker. Shame that sexy skin hides a weight problem the Ecotec and six-speed can't handle.
7. 2008 Nissan Altima SL
6. 2008 Kia Optima
5. ?
4. ?
3. ?
2. ?
1. ?

DDL

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
What?!?!
Everyone else says that the ECOTEC I-4/6 speed auto responds extremely well and is more than sufficient.
WTF is Motortrend smoking?
WE FINISHED BELOW A KIA?!?!? WHAT THE HELL!??!?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Everybody knows an automatic midsize sedan should be light - that is the first thing family sedan buyer look for. :rolleyes:

The Sonata looks plain as hell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Haha that is the most painfully biased article I have read in a long time. They compared completely differently equipped and priced cars, and then bitched about the price. They admitted that the Malibu is plenty fast, but it doesn't "feel" fast enough. Come on, MT, how much did you get paid for this advertisement?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The Malibu had the best brakes!! The 60-0 distance was nearly 10 feet less than the 2nd best car! It was also the 2nd quietest at 70mph (behind the Passat). :D

Based on objective data, most of these cars are so close that a magazine ranking is meaningless. Someone could easily make a case for why the 8th place car is better than the 1st place car.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Ive seen all these cars, and all the features, as well as fuel economy is so close that a 'ranked' comparison is going to give all sorts of results from different magazines. Either sedan you pick, you can't lose in terms of features or fuel economy. And I'm assuming they didn't post the top 5 since they want you to buy the magazine, and no the Camry didn't make it to the #1 spot.

Style ranking on the other hand is a completely different story.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Everybody knows an automatic midsize sedan should be light - that is the first thing family sedan buyer look for. :rolleyes:

The Sonata looks plain as hell.
The fuel economy on the car is near the top of the segment, performance is good and the driving dynamics isn't all bad for a family sedan. On top of that , the Sonata, and the Mazda 6 are the only cars offered with a manual without being forced into buying a penalty box base model (Toyota Camry...)

I doubt exterior design plays a significant role in this segment. After all the top selling model looks like crap (again, Camry).

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Notably the VW Passat, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Ford Fusion, and Toyota Camry are unranked. The articles are there, but in no particular order. Looks like a half-assed job on Motor Trend's part.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they had it so low. There are so many things wrong with what they said about the Malibu, it's ridiculous.

First, they list the EPA economy as 22/30. That's wrong. That's what Ecotec 4 speed gets. The 6 speed is rated at 22/32. Kind of changes the fuel economy picture as it puts the Malibu tied for combined best mileage.

Second, the price complaint is a bit of a joke, since the 4 cylinder/6 speed combo will be available in the 1LT and standard on the higher 2LT and LTZ for 09. I know it's 'next year,' but they quit building 08's last week. A 1LT for I'd guess around $22-23k would make the price a lot more competitive without much feature loss.

I don't understand how they can gush over the ergonomics of the Camry, and complain about the fit and finish on the Malibu. I find the ergonomics of the Malibu to be excellent. I find the car to be very comfortable. The type of car I could spend a few hours driving. Or how they can like the Camry because the engine sounds and feels more powerful than it is. That's nice, but in a race I'll take the car that's actually faster than the one that sounds and feels better. Numbers don't lie.

I understand that they are automotive journalists, but picking the midsizer that is quickest or best handing in a FWD 4 cylinder class is silly. The only time most of these cars will see WOT is a trip up the freeway on ramp. These cars a people movers. If you want to drive fast, that's why they make sports cars. Not that these cars should have ill handling or anything, but engine power and driving dynamics are less important in this class than ride comfort and fuel efficiency, to me.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Notably the VW Passat, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Ford Fusion, and Toyota Camry are unranked. The articles are there, but in no particular order. Looks like a half-assed job on Motor Trend's part.
I have ridden in and/or driven all of these remaining rides except the VW.

My personal take would be:
1) Accord
2) Camry
3) Sonata
4) Fusion

I LOVE the way the new Malibu looks. It is seriously the best looking car in the segment followed by probably the Altima. I haven't driven one yet, I've been waiting for the I4 and 6-speed AT combo. One of these days, my 1993 Camry will die, and I'll feel better replacing it with a GM or Ford.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The fuel economy on the car is near the top of the segment, performance is good and the driving dynamics isn't all bad for a family sedan.
All can be said of the Malibu plus it looks better.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I mean, why would they recomend a freaking kia over a malibu? seriously?
I can think of only one reason: $5,000+

And that's fine, but then the Kia should be near first place, because it undercuts almost everything else in the test too.

Otherwise, I'm baffled.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts