GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Camaro article, but I thought it deserved its own thread:

Peper also announced that in a matter of weeks Chevy will begin offering its midsize Malibu sedan with a 169-hp, 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine teamed with a six-speed automatic transmission. The sedan will be rated at 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is very close to the Malibu Hybrid’s 24/32 mpg.

The four-cylinder/six-speed Malibu will start at $26,245, which is about $4,000 more than the hybrid, because it willl be offered on the top-of-the-line LTZ trim level, which has the most standard equipment, while the hybrid is offered on the lower LT1 trim level.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/03/2010-camaro.html

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Why wouldn't they offer this combo on the base model? What a great way to snag value-conscious buyers who are also efficiency-conscious? Seems odd that a 4-cylinder model is $4000 more than the cheapest hybrid, even if it does have lots of options.
I believe as production of the 6T40 ramps up (in Korea, I believe), it will be offered in lower trim lines. Offering in LTZ only gives them a gentle ramp up.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it must be their way of justifying keeping the hybrid around, im sure the real world numbers would be the same. does the hyrbrid use the 6-speed as well? if not it really should

·
Registered
555 Posts
When they introduce the recently announced BAS version 2.0 then the hybrid will be able to stand on it's own against the 4cyl/6spd. The current version, as mentioned, hardly offers much of a fuel economy improvement.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I believe as production of the 6T40 ramps up (in Korea, I believe), it will be offered in lower trim lines. Offering in LTZ only gives them a gentle ramp up.
i believe the 6T40E is made by Hydramatic in Flint or Livonia, but not Korea.

Though 22/32 is great, especially if you consider that it's in the heaviest LTZ Malibu, now what we need is some weight reduction and direct injection in a 2.0-2.2 litre base LS with some more efficient tires and some aero tweaks and we could have a Malibu over 35mpg highway

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i believe the 6T40E is made by Hydramatic in Flint or Livonia, but not Korea.
I was just going by what this document said. It mentions being manufactured in Korea but no where else. However, I see the Wikipedia entry for the 6T40/6T45 mentions Ypsilanti, so perhaps the first document was out of date.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/Whats New/Transmissions/2008%

The Flint Hydramatic plants only make components, no finished transmissions.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
22/32 is great! I figured city mileage would suffer a little due to the lack of power of the 4cyl, but I figured the highway mileage would be really good due to the tall final gear and the 4cyl! It isnt everyday you get a midsize car that gets in the low 30's! (not counting hybrids)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
22/32 is great! I figured city mileage would suffer a little due to the lack of power of the 4cyl, but I figured the highway mileage would be really good due to the tall final gear and the 4cyl! It isnt everyday you get a midsize car that gets in the low 30's! (not counting hybrids)
I agree, that is the equivilant of 25 city, 35 highway using the old numbers (which beats even the 2.2 cobalt in those areas).

I do not know if we are going to get a Malibu for our next car (we are more looking at something like the HHR, Vibe, Matrix, or maybe even the new Kia mini-ute when it comes out), but I think we will at least consider the Malibu when the put this engine/tranny combo in the base models. Mileage like that out of a base Malibu is great, but I am NOT even going to CONSIDER paying that much money for an LTZ.

·
Premium Member
36,966 Posts
26 grand for a 4/6-speed auto? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

That is exactly the wrong direction to go in. :confused:

The first Malibu 4/6-speeds on sale should be the best selling model and the cheapest model.

This is Old GM thinking (screw each customer to the max available per car), and it's one of the reasons they're up to their arse in alligators today. :doh:

·
Premium Member
36,966 Posts
Why wouldn't they offer this combo on the base model? What a great way to snag value-conscious buyers who are also efficiency-conscious? Seems odd that a 4-cylinder model is $4000 more than the cheapest hybrid, even if it does have lots of options.
Hmmmm...

1. Because they're stupid _____
2. Because they're greedy _____
3. Because they're idiots _____

Feel free to choose more than one answer in this mini-multiple-choice quiz. :)

·
Premium Member
15,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
26 grand for a 4/6-speed auto? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

That is exactly the wrong direction to go in. :confused:

The first Malibu 4/6-speeds on sale should be the best selling model and the cheapest model.

This is Old GM thinking (screw each customer to the max available per car), and it's one of the reasons they're up to their arse in alligators today. :doh:
Well, the Camry XLE 4-cylinder 5-speed auto (21/31) is $25,810 to start...so it's not that outrageous.

I am under the impression that the 6-speed auto will expand to lower trim levels for the 2009 model year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is the 4 cylinder LTZ equipped the exact same as the six cylinder?

Does it still have a power passenger seat and whatnot?

BTW, this is great news! While I agree it should be in all trim levels, it is a good start.

·
Premium Member
36,966 Posts
Well, the Camry XLE 4-cylinder 5-speed auto (21/31) is $25,810 to start...so it's not that outrageous.

I am under the impression that the 6-speed auto will expand to lower trim levels for the 2009 model year.
To generate traffic in the Chivvlay showrooms, a 6-speed four cylinder base model with AM radio/8-track should be priced at $18,995.
That's less than 75% of the cost of the LTZ.

I think it's more important to get these cars on the street where the friends, neighbors, ex-father-in-laws, and co-workers can ask about them, rather than maximize profit per unit while keeping the car out of reach of many customers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Is the 4 cylinder LTZ equipped the exact same as the six cylinder?

Does it still have a power passenger seat and whatnot?

BTW, this is great news! While I agree it should be in all trim levels, it is a good start.
YES. Same as a current LTZ V6, the only difference is--for whatever reason--it will have a unique chrome 17" wheel instead of the machined 18" wheels on V6 ones now. It's packaged oddly because it was a late edition, called the "Spring Package" of the LTZ:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires. It is "A" on 1LZ.

For '09, should be re-sorted out to be a specific LTZ 4-cyl trim, but this is just how they're doing it as a late intro--that can be ordered now.

And the 2.4L/6-speed will be on ALL trims for '09...so it isn't a biggie as far as "only" one model getting it. This was a known thing, due to supply ramp up, that the LTZ would get it for the last couple months of 2008's and then all would the next year.

And on all the other things I read before...the 2.4L/6-speed was to be rated at 23/31, essentially 1mpg better city/highway than the current 4-speed. I wouldn't think that would change, but will wait to see something official, as I think the 22/32 may be a typo.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I'm fine with them starting out this way. If only one model can have the better transmission and they are still ramping up then the top of the line model should have the best trans. It would be odd to offer a better transmission in a lower model than what would be available in the upper models. Many people want a well optioned car but want good economy as well and this will work for that. If they go 100% 6-speeds next year (except the hybrid I assume) then that will be great.

What seems really crazy is that the hybrid powertrain is in some ways the most advanced but it gets the 4-speed.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
YES. Same as a current LTZ V6, the only difference is--for whatever reason--it will have a unique chrome 17" wheel instead of the machined 18" wheels on V6 ones now. It's packaged oddly because it was a late edition, called the "Spring Package" of the LTZ:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires. It is "A" on 1LZ.

For '09, should be re-sorted out to be a specific LTZ 4-cyl trim, but this is just how they're doing it as a late intro--that can be ordered now.

And the 2.4L/6-speed will be on ALL trims for '09...so it isn't a biggie as far as "only" one model getting it. This was a known thing, due to supply ramp up, that the LTZ would get it for the last couple months of 2008's and then all would the next year.

And on all the other things I read before...the 2.4L/6-speed was to be rated at 23/31, essentially 1mpg better city/highway than the current 4-speed. I wouldn't think that would change, but will wait to see something official, as I think the 22/32 may be a typo.
Cool, thanks!!:)

We are probably going to dump the Avy in late fall and are currently debating between an Accord or Malibu. I GREATLY prefer the 2LT wheels to the fake chrome model from the G6. I'm glad to hear that the 4/6A should be available in all models by then.

I can get a great price on either car because of the dealer group I work for, but the Malibu may have just gained a slight advantage. If only it were a bit wider. With car seats in the back there was basically no room for an adult to sit back there. I know it's been beat to death here, but I really don't like the plastic door panels on the Malibu either. 'Course, to get leather on the Accord door panels you have to spend ~$26k for the EX-L, which is a more than the 2LT. The other Accord models have cloth inserts in the door panels.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Also the Camry Hybird starts at aprox. 27 or 28K BUT its a full hybrid system that gets alot better gas mileage than the 4 cylinder camry mated to the 5 speed auto. This makes no sense, i imaguine once GM sees how well the Camry, Altima, and Fusion FULL hybrids do, they will introduce the system from the Vue for the Malibu. The 4 speed auto dosent help the mild hybrid system either- i can totally see the 4 cylinder/ 6speed combo almost making the same mpg as the hybrid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.