GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

The Colorados are arriving in quantity, and they are great trucks. Imagine, though, if you could take away one feature and make a vehicle completely undesirable, if not useless.

Now consider a 2004 Colorado Z-71 Extended Cab, or 2004 Colorado Z-71 Crew Cab, with a tidy interior, standard anti-lock brakes, driver information center, and standard air conditioning.

If you really get into your truck, you can order the Z-71 LS, with premium features, such as full color-keyed carpeting, CD player and upgraded speakers, convenience package, and RECLINING SEATS.

If you were to pay $22,000-$23,000 for a vehicle, you'd expect to have this, as it's standard on every other vehicle that I can think of, not to mention most chairs.

I didn't believe it at first. Our newest salesperson told me, and I went out to one of our non-LS Z-71 extended cabs. I thought I wasn't working it right, so I checked the owner's manual: "Your Colorado may be equipped with reclining seats." Undeterred, I checked the full specifications on Chevrolet.com, and guess what? You have to get an LS to get manual seat recliners, regardless of the cab. Phrased differently, reclining seats are not available in any base Colorado. Unless you get an LS, your fronts seats have two settings: folded forward or locked into position.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but more likely I've got a bunch of $22,000+ trucks that nobody wants, and our salespeople can't sell, because they "sit" like regular cab trucks. Not only would I never buy a personal vehicle with a non-reclineable seat, nobody at the dealership even believes me until I show them the trucks, show them the owner's manual, AND show them the website.

So lemme hear it: am I overreacting, or is this even dumber than offering a $50,000 pickup truck with no four-wheel drive?

Ghrankenstein MADDDDDDD!!! :brick:

:frankie:

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Jan 19 2004, 11:54 PM
You have to get an LS to get manual seat recliners, regardless of the cab. Phrased differently, reclining seats are not available in any base Colorado. Unless you get an LS, your fronts seats have two settings: folded forward or locked into position.
OMG...And we WERE going to buy a Colorado this Fall...but now, maybe not...GM: WHY?!?!?!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Not an over reaction at all... that is the dumbest thing I have heard in my whole life. Not everyone likes to sit erect, and wouldnt that be a safety issue for some BIG people that are real close to the air bag? Maybe someone should e-mail them or something, or hopefully if GM people cruise this site they will see how stupid the idea was. :eek:
Wasnt this truck designed by Isuzu though??? maybe they dont have those kinda features.

·
Registered
43,877 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Jan 19 2004, 08:53 PM

Wasnt this truck designed by Isuzu though??? maybe they dont have those kinda features.
:eek: Eeeww... it was!!???? I guess they're getting back at GM for the Ascender. :roflmao:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all due respect, herr Pringle.

...but bench seats in trucks don't recline... Think of it as a split bench?
The only trucks with bench seats that don't recline have regular cabs, and they're work trucks, not "Lifestyle Vehicles."

When I showed our General Manager, who orders all the trucks, his jaw about hit the floor. I've sent a cordial message to the Colorado marketing team, but what I really wanted to do was invite the middle-management executive who made this decision to visit our lot and try selling those trucks himself.

These base trucks surround the driver with everything-else good, but the seats, with their single upright seating position, are more abominable than any snowman.

And not in the good "Ghrankenstein is more abominable than any snowman" way.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Jan 19 2004, 10:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Jan 19 2004, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LGRpup@Jan 19 2004, 08:53 PM

:eek: Eeeww... it was!!???? I guess they're getting back at GM for the Ascender. :roflmao: [/b][/quote]
i am not a 100% sure but I thought so, I have also seen a pic of the Isuzu branded truck, it was actually nice. Yah the Ascener was a bad quick fix, was at NAIAS today and they had poor Isuzu stuck in the basement, and it was my first time I have seen up close that deformed Envoy.... uh I mean Ascender.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought my Canyon, it occurred to me that GM was pretty much requiring buyers to get the "convenience package" in order to get what should be standard features. Your dealership ordered without?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Jan 20 2004, 12:29 AM
The only trucks with bench seats that don't recline have regular cabs, and they're work trucks, not "Lifestyle Vehicles."
My summer car has the power 6-way seat adjustment, I love it and can drive 500 miles without my @$$ falling asleep. In the winter I drive a GMC regular cab pickup with bench seats (daily driver/long or short haul) and the thought of reclining seats never crossed my mind. Something you get use to and don't even think about. So just suck it up and deal with it people.. :lol: j/k.

Just another way GM will nickel-and-dime the public.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Jan 19 2004, 11:29 PM
With all due respect, herr Pringle.

...but bench seats in trucks don't recline... Think of it as a split bench?
Forgive me for not knowing much about these things. I suppose I've never had the opportunity to drive such a "lifestyle vehicle." Trucks that I've been around have always been single cab- most have had bench seats. I've never once even thought about the fact that the seat doesn't recline. Maybe the high seating makes a stationary back effective?

None the less, it seems to be a pretty important issue to many here, so I suppose that it is the same in the rest of the world-- er-- U.S.

So- much does the basic LS package cost?-- how much more must one spend from a very basic non-LS Colorado if all they really want is reclining seats?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
They did this in 1999 on the C/K's They leave 1 little thing out like center seat fold down on the base 40/20/40 split seats and pass. recline. Then they make it available through SEO 9X5 for x dollars. We didn't order any in without 9X5 code after that. It doesn't make sense to me but I have seen it many a time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah a seat that does not recline would bother me. Personally I think they have priced these trucks to high. In general I think the prices have gone up alot in the past 4 years. In 2000 I bought a Extended Cab, Silverado,LS,4X4,V8 and the MSRP was $28,000, I took it home for like $25,800. In 2001 I purchased a 2500HD, Extended Cab, LS,6.0 MSRP $31,000 paid $27,000. Now I stopped and looked at those Colorado's and they are as expensive as my last 2 full size trucks. There is no way Iam paying that much for a small truck. Whatever happen to the small trucks competing with the Toyota's and Nissans. If Iam going to pay $24,000 and I can buy a full size truck.

Oh by they way I realize that this truck is suppose to compete with the Dakota, Well the Dakota has a V8 and the Colorado should be offered with the 4.8

I think GM has just raised the prices alot the past few years to make up for the $3,000-$4,000 discounts they are having to give. I guess really we are paying the same prices as we were in 2000.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Are you comparing Colorado sticker prices with
negotiated Silverado prices? Although I do feel
the Colorado prices are a tad higher than S10s.

My 1999 was stickered at $19.2K (paid $15.2K).
Just build a similar Colorado... it will run $22.4K.
$3000 increase in 5 model years. I am not sure
how that compares to other vehicles these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts