GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is what I am thinking. I am trying to be realistic and somewhat economical here. I got this car for "free" :woot2: and it is in a million pieces. <_< I want more power but would like to maintain the classic "sports car" virtues of light weight and handling. I have looked at Eco motors and can get one for $650 or less(will need wiring harness and ECU or Aftermarket standalone). I believe it will bolt up to a F-body 60º V6 trany which I can get for $450 or so(could really use confirmation on this if anyone can help). I have not decided on Manual or Auto. I don't know how it could have an automatic and maintain "sports car" feel but it would be easier to install and the Wifey could drive it more easily. Anyway, this is my line of thought.
  • Lotus Elise(U.S.)..2000lbs...1.8L Toyota(Yamaha) GTS motor with Lotus tuning 190HP/133TQ. Supposedly 0-60 in 4.9 and 0-120 in 12.3, quarter in ~13.0 to 13.5?(6spd manual) This sounds like fun.
  • '78 Triumph Spitfire...<1800lbs (stock with 1500 iron block/head 4cyl)...2.2L Eco. 140HP/150TQ stock, maybe 150/160 after swap and with better exhaust, intake and maybe some tuning. Turbocharged with a realitively conservitive amount of boost, 6-8psi, 150/160 plus 35-55% more power.. .. 202/216 - 232/248(completely estimates). Don't know which trany yet. This could be awesome.
This car is SMALL, I know. The way I look at it is: Its cheap, light and safer than a motorcycle. With a modest amount of power, it could be really quick but still be a reliable and fun car.

I have tossed around a lot of options and feel that this makes the most sense. A big honking V8 would be fun at the drags but that is not what I want to do with this. ;)

images care of www.prirace.com

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
How about a small honking V8? Like a 302 Chevy? Tons of rev's, lots of HP and enuff torque to keep you happy and the chassis strait. Other then that, the eco or quad4 motors would be a good idea. Maybe a 3.4, 3.1 turbo? And if you dont care about motors, Im sure some honda motor would be fine for that car. B18 or something like that?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Honda motors spin the wrong way unless you get a S2000 motor, besides I want to go GM.

A small honkin' V8:)lol:) weighs as much as a big honkin' V8 400SBC of course not as much as a really big honkin' BBC. :D

Though a REALLY Small honkin' V8 is what a lot of people use. It is the 215 cubic inch aluminum Buick/Olds V8(later sold to Rover) from the early '60's and then sold to ROver and not too long ago finally dropped. But I am not too impressed with them. Realitively high cost and I don't know much about them. Come to think of it, I may look into it. Add a TBI or Multiport kit and that may be great. Maybe a V8 after all.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
British body and American drive train.
You have exactly what Shelby did with the original Ford Cobra. The AC Cuningham body linmked to Ford's small blocks.
I give the Brits credit for those early bodies. It was their mechanical and electrical problems that sunk them.
I have also seen early Opels with small blocks shoe horned under the hood. There are some pretty nifty machines out there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What??? V8 in a small car

No pal, that is clearly impossible. I don't think anyone could ever do that, you're dreaming.

That car is much too small to have a v8.

:rolleyes:

whoops, i missed the last part in your post. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I have considered that too. It would be easy to buy a wrecked 3400 F-body and pull everything I would need. I actually have found a Camaro V6 60º with an auto and could use the seats as well.

I also think the 3800 II from the F-body, while being heavier, would be a good swap and may prove to be all it would need. Plus some S/C internals and I could really add some boost.

The major problem is that the rearend is probably going to go out and I will have to deal with that too. Any combo I pick will eventually be the demise of the stock rear in one way or another. I have already started talking to www.olsonracecars.com about doing a shortened C4 rearend for it.

Wheels and tires are a bitch too. It has a really funky bolt pattern that is even smaller than the 4X100's that the imp's use. Of course if I use the C4 rear I will have to modify the front too.

It is going to be a fun project, I think. At least it had better be. :D

Thanks for the input so far, fellas. Let me know what you think. I will post the whole thing as I goes, if any are interested. May not be a Solstice but it should eat one. :lol:

I knew TA would like this project. Now people should know why we say a V8 could be in a Sol. and how much people want one. I want one so much I am willing to build my own!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, went and spoke with my friend Herb Olson at Olson racing and he has nearly convinced me that the 3800 & trany from an F-body might be the best way to go. Anyone know the weight of this engine? That is the last detail I would really like to know.

The idea is that I could get it up and running and not feel the need to worry about boosting it from the start, as I would with the Eco. With 200HP and 230lbs of torque it will make the <1800lbs(before swap) spit move and will probably be putting out more with the exhaust and intake I will have to make. The 3800 is a stout motor and performance parts are out there. Maybe I could get a hold of a short block with S/C internals later on and add a turbo/S/C or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts