GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mahindra’s U.S. dealers lagging behind on new dealerships, showrooms

Although India’s Mahindra & Mahindra is moving full speed ahead with its plan to launch in the U.S. next spring, it seems that many of the dealers that signed up to sell the Indian automaker’s products are dragging their feet. In fact, many of Mahindra’s U.S. franchisees have yet to build a Mahindra showroom or dealership.

Although Global Vehicles U.S.A. Inc. – Mahindra’s U.S. importer – is confident that everything will be in place by next spring’s launch, some of the 315 committed retailers could be getting cold feet. Mahindra will launch in the U.S. with only a pickup truck and SUV, two of the fastest declining segments in the industry.

But even though Mahindra’s two key segments are down, some dealers are still optimistic about sales, thanks to the vehicles’ economic four-cylinder diesel engines. “I’m very enthusiastic about Mahindra,” a dealer from Toledo, Ohio told Automotive News. “Yes, truck sales are down. But Mahindra will offer something the market needs: a truck with good fuel economy.”

Mahindra’s initial U.S. offerings will include a pickup truck – that will be available in two or four-wheel drive – and a four-door SUV.

www.leftlanenews.com

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I first seen the title... i thought "well at least there wont be a dealership selling cars from India's Mahindra automaker in my home town" .. since im from a smaller city. But as i read the article i was kinda surprised when i read a dealer from Toledo, Ohio was "very enthusiastic about Mahindra". Im guessing that dealer will be selling Mahindra vehicles!! It makes me cringe! :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Get this crap out of the country. Anyone know how well Mahindra tractors are doing? I hope John Deere is kicking thier butt. I'm also glad GM is putting diesels in their 1/2 tons next year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get this crap out of the country. Anyone know how well Mahindra tractors are doing? I hope John Deere is kicking thier butt. I'm also glad GM is putting diesels in their 1/2 tons next year.
they don't really compete with deere, mahindra sells smaller tractors and they're doing quite well with them

i hope their truck does well; it will show the big companies the need for a competitive small truck

·
Registered
25 Posts
more about the truck, pictures at the link:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/detroit-automaker-imports-indian-pickup-truck-for-us-testing.html

Detroit automaker imports Indian pickup truck for U.S. testing

June13
may2008/mahindra.jpg

If you’ve ever wondered what an Indian-built diesel pickup would look like on American highways, here’s the answer to that (oil)-burning question. You wouldn’t be the only one wondering, either. At least one domestic manufacturer wants to know how it drives too, so they bought this overseas version of Mahindra’s upcoming U.S. pickup to try Michigan roadways.

Originally expected to be sold as the Appalachian in America, Mahindra’s unnamed truck is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in the summer of 2009. A source at the company says they want to put the focus back on the Mahindra brand rather than a specific model, so an alphanumeric name is likely.

Mahindra’s truck will be powered by the company’s new mHawk 2.2-liter inline-four-cylinder diesel engine. The mHawk was designed in cooperation with diesel engineering firms Bosch and AVL with the American pickup market in mind.

Power ratings are expected to be in the range of 145-150 horsepower and approximately 300 pounds-feet of torque. The engine will be paired with a standard six-speed automatic transmission, a floor-mounted console shifter and steering-wheel-mounted paddles to manually shift the gearbox.

Mahindra promises the truck will be able to carry a sizeable 1.3-ton (2,600-pound) payload in its 7.5-foot cargo box. It will come with a 60,000-mile, four-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. The tall roll bar in back of the truck is for testing only. And we hear that the people at Mahindra were surprised to find this lone truck in Michigan. We can only guess which manufacturer purchased it…

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
When I first seen the title... i thought "well at least there wont be a dealership selling cars from India's Mahindra automaker in my home town" .. since im from a smaller city. But as i read the article i was kinda surprised when i read a dealer from Toledo, Ohio was "very enthusiastic about Mahindra". Im guessing that dealer will be selling Mahindra vehicles!! It makes me cringe! :mad:
why are you saying that?

American cars are on sale in India, so why could it not be the same for them?

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
why are you saying that?

American cars are on sale in India, so why could it not be the same for them?
He is American.

He wants Americans to buy American vehicles.

He wants American dollars to stay in the American economy.

He wants Americans to have good paying jobs designing, engineering and building vehicles in America.

The definition of "patriot" is "a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion." This man is a patriot.

What is so confusing?

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
ouch, yeah i have lived in Toledo or Toledo area all of my life, now i live in a toledo suburb...Oregon, OH. i wonder where it will be?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
i hope their truck does well; it will show the big companies the need for a competitive small truck
Well, the Big 3 never seriously competed in the small truck market, so I don't see why another small import truck will change anything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
they don't really compete with deere, mahindra sells smaller tractors and they're doing quite well with them

That's not entirely true. Both Deere and Mahindra compete in the compact utility tractor (CUT) market.

But you are right that Mahindra is doing quite well- because they have a good product at a decent price. If their tractors are any indication of their trucks, you can expect M&M to make a pretty big splash in the auto industry.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The pics kinda make me think of when the first Japanese trucks appeared here what with the outside the bed cargo hooks.....

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
OK, that truck was boring/ugly to look at. Why do you really think people will buy it, aside from the possibility of a Yugo sort of price?

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts

Mahindra does compete with Deere. Ever looked at both companies' products? Also Mahindra advertises on the Farm Report on TV, right along side John Deere. I won't buy from a company just because its cheaper. I'm suspicious that company cheats their workforce out of an honest days work while trying to undercut a company who pays their workforce well with benefits. Who doesn't want to get paid well, send thier kids to college and have health care in their old age? That's why I buy American. American families and their well being is important to me, not just getting a good deal to get myself ahead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts