GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/

Front wheel lock caused by Active Rollover Prevention (ARP)

Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld has conducted a moose test with a Porsche Macan in S Diesel specification.

Porsche issued a response saying the left front brake locked as a result of the Active Rollover Protection (ARP) system kicking in (for a maximum of 300 milliseconds) to prevent the Macan from rolling over. Porsche went on to say "the precise, momentary application of brake force to the front wheel at the outside of the bend down to the low slip range minimizes cornering forces to avoid critical or instable driving conditions such as oversteer, rollover or detachment of the tire from the wheel."

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well, at least it didn't tip up or tear a tire off the rim, but if those cones it hit were the edge of the road, this could absolutely end up in a flip.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
I mean, if a Moose is in the way, isn't that why we have crash standards that are so rigorous?
Natural human reaction is to swerve to avoid the obstacle - the test emulates the car's stability in a sudden side movement.

Mercedes-Benz infamously failed the "moose" test with the A-class and had to change tyre/wheel size and suspension settings, involving a big recall.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I mean, if a Moose is in the way, isn't that why we have crash standards that are so rigorous?
A moose is a tall and lankey animal with a lot of mass high up. If you hit one it will bypass the crash protection and go right throught the windshield. A moose you need to dodge if you want to live.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
As low as the cg is in the macan there is no danger of it flippingover in that kind of turn. That locked up front tire with sliding understeer would freak me the hell out if I wasn't expecting it. On the other hand, The way I corner at the tail of the dragon is to slide into a corner with understeer and wait for it to grab. But this is just weird. Would this car slide off the road if there were wet leaves and you had to do an accident avoidance maneuver? It seems a little extreme on porsche's part. And is this defeat able?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A moose is a tall and lankey animal with a lot of mass high up. If you hit one it will bypass the crash protection and go right throught the windshield. A moose you need to dodge if you want to live.
A buddy of mine hit a moose while driving a van. It went through the front windshield and crushed him and the passenger against the payload, two racing motorcycles. Ripped the seats completely off the moorings. Those suckers weigh close to a ton. Trust me, dodging a moose is "Plan A."

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
A buddy of mine hit a moose while driving a van. It went through the front windshield and crushed him and the passenger against the payload, two racing motorcycles. Ripped the seats completely off the moorings. Those suckers weigh close to a ton. Trust me, dodging a moose is "Plan A."
I have seen what a MOOSE does to a VOLVO hi-way tractor which weigh in at 8 000 KGs and a MOOSE is up to 1000 KGs the tractor was pretty much destroyed (the engine fell out of it (they are designed to)) and the "A" pillar was leaning forward not back as from the factory

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
As low as the cg is in the macan there is no danger of it flippingover in that kind of turn. That locked up front tire with sliding understeer would freak me the hell out if I wasn't expecting it. On the other hand, The way I corner at the tail of the dragon is to slide into a corner with understeer and wait for it to grab. But this is just weird. Would this car slide off the road if there were wet leaves and you had to do an accident avoidance maneuver? It seems a little extreme on porsche's part. And is this defeat able?
An SUV is not a GTO. And it looks like the wheel only stayed locked because of the angle it was sliding at. If Porsche were to make adjustments it would have to be less brake application before lockup, once that wheel achieved lock up releasing the brake wouldn't stop it from skidding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.