Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't look promising, does it?

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Bob Lutz said:
Let me just say that it is in the realm of specific new model information that we haven’t really talked about yet, but generally as we look at our entire portfolio, there is a tendency to reduce investment in engineering on large rear-wheel-drive entries in favor of lighter weight and much more fuel efficient cars
I have no clue what the hell he just said...
"in the realm"... "but generally".... "there is a tendency"... "in favor of"...

This guy has to be the worlds most wishy-washy ex-marine. Is there no one in GM management who will set any direction? take any form of leadership? be accountable for anything?

A real marine would say:
Them cars are F'n broken, I F'ed them up. I take full accountability, and I WILL see that they are F'n fixed, F'n right now!
Or

Them cars are F'n broken, I F'ed them up. I take full accountability, but the market is dead for cars like this now, so they are F'n done.
Imagine if Patton had of stood up in front of his troops and said
"In the realm" of a lack of good intel from HQ we are considering this battle. Of course "there is a tendency" to always reconsider and worry about actions like this. "But generally" we have been doing well in the Italian Campaign. Of course "there is a tendency" to ignore some of the bad things the could happen. But I'm "in favor of" continuing... So who's with me?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What I think this means is:

"Never say never, but we're not even thinking that far ahead right now 'cause we have to spend every spare dime and every waking minute getting the Volt out and working and we're gonna keep making what we have in the mean time since thery'e already there and we'll make a few for those that want them 'cause hell the money's been spent on the tooling and such so why not keep makin' 'em and keep the factory buildin' something until we can figure out what's next if anything."

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
With CAFE cars the size of the STS/DTS are not a doable deal, IMO. I suspect GM realizes this and is reluctant to tell the public the "good old days are over."

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

This guy has to be the worlds most wishy-washy ex-marine. Is there no one in GM management who will set any direction? take any form of leadership? be accountable for anything?
Speaking about future products as they are asking will never be answered until they are ready to bring to market. Some exceptions to that rule, but usually never unless you see a concept/prototype.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

A real marine would say:

Or

Imagine if Patton had of stood up in front of his troops and said
2002 Caddy:

You know full well-- this is modern Corporate Speak; it's ok to talk, just say nothing! Lutz, is a Salesman, Corporate song and dance man, ala snake oil showman...He'll only say what the Company wants him to. It's a shame to end one's illustrious career (Lutz's) as a paper tiger, than to make choices for Greatness!

This is basicially what this country is facing, more song and dance, or bite the bullet. We will be judged by our choices also!

May God help us!

:drive:

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Dammit Lutz! Give back that oxygen you just wasted. Don't you know that every time you expel cryptic pointless rhetoric, you are increasing you carbon foot print? Make every syllable count!

Sheesh. One might swear that you've never heard of climate change?

:laugh: @ Leftlane News for trying to make a story out of nothing.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2002 Caddy:

You know full well-- this is modern Corporate Speak; it's ok to talk, just say nothing! Lutz, is a Salesman, Corporate song and dance man, ala snake oil showman...He'll only say what the Company wants him to. It's a shame to end one's illustrious career (Lutz's) as a paper tiger, than to make choices for Greatness!

This is basicially what this country is facing, more song and dance, or bite the bullet. We will be judged by our choices also!

May God help us!

:drive:
Actually, Lutz has never been good at this kind of vague, non- answer. Just the opposite, really. He usually says too much.

Perhaps he's been asked by GM brass to be more non-commital.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
With CAFE cars the size of the STS/DTS are not a doable deal, IMO. I suspect GM realizes this and is reluctant to tell the public the "good old days are over."
That is far from the truth, cars like these have an advantage of being expensive and its acceptable for them to be such.

The days of making a car in such a way that it gets 13MPG and not caring anymore are however gone and I think thats a good thing because those cars have not been competitive for many years already so why keep building them?

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Actually, Lutz has never been good at this kind of vague, non- answer. Just the opposite, really. He usually says too much.

Perhaps he's been asked by GM brass to be more non-commital.
It could also mean that GM is between a rock and a hard spot and are just trying to stay up long enough to figure out what to do because they are not going to save the company on one vehicle thats not to come out until 2010.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cadillac's of the future is going to be on these alpha platforum and LWB alpha platforum's. It's light in weight and a compact RWD platforum.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I think what he's saying is that Alpha is suddenly MUCH more important than Zeta due to demands by the consumer and CAFE that cars be more fuel efficient. They are several years from being able to afford to work on everything at once. Unfortunately they need to focus on what is most important and that is midsize cars and smaller.

He was pretty clear that the big cars are on the wwwwaaayyy back burner, they may have fallen off the back of the stove.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I'd like to find whichever exec said this.......

'I've seen the next Cadillac STS replacement and it looks damn good... like a ****ing Bentley.'
.....and have him tell Putz-o to either quite beating around the bush or shut the **** up! ;)

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
This could not be far from true. How is Bentley, 7 Series etc going to look? like an E Class?

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

It really bugs me that we are all so quick to blame CAFE for all of our problems. No Firebird? CAFE... No GTO? CAFE... No STS? CAFE...

All the while the competition is HAMMERING us with NEW TO MARKET 375HP cars like like the Genesis... How come they can sell a car like that and have ZERO issues with CAFE? Mostly because they have competitive small cars that car be sold with little to no discounts.

The issue at GM still revolves around TRUCKS... the need to sell small cars so they can continue to flog trucks... GM Management hasn't noticed that the truck market is mortally wounded. They are praying it will come back... Heaven forbid they have a profitable, competitive big car that sells... that would mean that they would have to sell even fewer trucks (that aren't selling without ~$4,000 on the hood).

Am I the only person who gets the feeling that Management is "driving" this company while ONLY looking in the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

As someone who criticized Lutz in the past for saying too much too early about future products, I guess I should point out he gets blamed either way. If he says something definitive, people are like "why the F* is he saying this so early and tipping off the competition". If he doesn't say anything definitive, it's like "why the F* is he so wishy-washy". I'm fine with non-commital answers on future product planning...

Gas has always been expensive in Europe and there's still market there for cars the size of STS and DTS (and larger) there. Maybe not as big as it's been in the US, but it exists nonetheless.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The only cars I can think of the size of the DTS are RR's, Bentleys (the Arnage type, not the "mass-market" Contis) and Maybachs. The DTS is a huge cow, make no mistake.

That said, there is market for large LUXURY cars. The thing is, GM still cannot figure out how to build a luxury car. Cadillac's only OK car is a continuation of a line of small cars started below the "actual Cadillac" in the 1990s.

The problem is also that GM doesn't have a clue and changes product planning everytime wind starts blowing in another direction. What survives are a few core models, sometimes ending up underinvested (Malibu), and some pet projects (Kappa, Volt).

1 - 20 of 98 Posts