1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(09:20 Feb. 03, 2004)
Lutz says Saturn will get second, bigger SUV

By DAVE GUILFORD | Automotive News

General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said Saturn will get SUV that will be "a big brother to the Vue."

Lutz spoke to the GM Minority Dealers Association here Friday, giving a division-by-division review of his plans for a product revival.

GM has not publicly confirmed plans for a larger Saturn SUV or crossover.

After the speech, Lutz said he was not referring to the Relay minivan coming for Saturn, or to an extended-wheelbase version of the Vue.

He said the vehicle will be built on a new architecture. Lutz's description seems to agree with supplier reports that Saturn will get a crossover vehicle on the Lambda architecture, designed for front- and all-wheel-drive minivans and crossovers. That architecture is designated for a plant GM will build near Lansing, Mich.

Construction is slated to begin this year, with vehicles appearing in the 2006 and 2007 model years.

Pontiac and Buick are also scheduled to get Lambda vehicles, industry sources have said.

Lutz said GM is trying to exceed, rather than match, competitors as it designs vehicles: "It is the only way that we're going to get away from this terrible rebate thing."

He also praised the efforts of GM's minority dealers, saying sales at minority-owned stores have grown from $7.8 billion in 1999 to $12.2 billion in 2003. Profits are at the same level as other dealerships.

Said Lutz: "The profitability between minority and non-minority dealers is really at parity."

Article Here

All I got to say it better not be some lame rebadging like the minivans have been.

·
Registered
44,286 Posts
<_< OK.... so the Lambda will replace the Aztek and Rendezvous for Pontiac and Buick. Might make a good edition for Saturn, assuming as it's differentiated appropriately (unlike the minivans).

We'll see.......

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yah buddy... Lambda for Lansing! Car Capital of the World! Capital of Quality! Hopefully the new buick will have cues from the Centieme.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This vehicle will be co-designed by Suzuki, GM is producing what was called a View stretch for Suzuki for the asian market. The same person who was Vehicle Line Director for Vue, Equinox, Torrent, is already working this project and has been meeting with Suzuki engineers in Japan.

·
Registered
44,286 Posts
Good!
If Suzuki is designing the Lambda, then most likely than not, this platform will be a global platform and can be adjusted and manipulated for GM platforms worldwide. Weren't the old GM APV's designed to be narrow just for Opel? If Lambda is a modular platform, then this is a good thing in the end.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by saber11@Feb 4 2004, 10:28 PM
This vehicle will be co-designed by Suzuki, GM is producing what was called a View stretch for Suzuki for the asian market. The same person who was Vehicle Line Director for Vue, Equinox, Torrent, is already working this project and has been meeting with Suzuki engineers in Japan.
That's interesting...since Lambda began as a collaboration between GM and SUBARU.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Wait a minute...I thought the VUE/EQUINOX/TORRENT were based on Theta architecture. Theta was created with Suzuki. I guess you are getting them confused.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
what's the Torrent?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Feb 17 2004, 05:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Feb 17 2004, 05:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Feb 16 2004, 09:01 PM
Torrent is the Aztek replacement.
Theta is NOT the Aztek replacement....Lambda is. [/b][/quote]
Lambda is a platform, not a car.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
so there will be the 4 CSv's (SV6, uplander, terraza and relay) along with the 3 new lambda vehicles listed here (saturn, buick and pontiac)? for pontiac, saturn and buick, couldn't one vehicle serve as minivan replacement AND aztek/larger vue/rendezvous replacement? guess if they differentiate the new lambda's from the CSV's... but i thought the CSV's were meant to step away from minivan already. hardly seems room left for all this hardware! though i guess i can't complain about new models... especially since they don't even exist yet!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I thought that the CSVs were a stopgap until Lambada got rolling (no pun intended). Kinda like the new W-Body's are holdovers until we get the Zeta.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Feb 18 2004, 06:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Feb 18 2004, 06:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 05:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider
@Feb 16 2004, 09:01 PM

Theta is NOT the Aztek replacement....Lambda is.
Lambda is a platform, not a car. [/b][/quote]
Lambda is a platform....and Pontiac's version of Lambda will replace the Aztek. Theta is a platform as well...and it's the basis of the Equinox, Vue, a Pontiac version, and the Suzuki XL7 replacement.

Sorry if it wasn't obvious what I meant.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Feb 21 2004, 05:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Feb 21 2004, 05:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 05:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider
@Feb 16 2004, 09:01 PM

Theta is NOT the Aztek replacement....Lambda is.

Lambda is a platform, not a car.
Lambda is a platform....and Pontiac's version of Lambda will replace the Aztek. Theta is a platform as well...and it's the basis of the Equinox, Vue, a Pontiac version, and the Suzuki XL7 replacement.

Sorry if it wasn't obvious what I meant. [/b][/quote]
Oops! Sorry about that.

From what my Suzuki dealer told me (I drive an 03 XL7 Limited) -

-the Vitara V6 stopped production last month and will be dropped for 05
-the smallest Suzuki SUV will then eventually (as early as late this year -05-) be the XL7 (maybe a name change)...thus meaning that the GV will be dropped or XL7 will be renamed just GV
-Suzuki will get a TrailBlazer EXT sized SUV (that's exactly what the manager said!! do you think it's another rebadge??)
-they will get something on the Theta platform (supposedly next XL7)
-something on Lambda (part Suzuki venture - though they participated very late)

*He also told me that a lot of new Suzukis (not rebadged GMDAT cars) will be coming out in the next year, probably starting to show up Q4 04. Good to see that GM has say in Suzuki!!!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
As happy as GM is to rebadge GMT360s (and GMT370s), there's no Suzuki version planned. Suzuki IS getting a Theta version to replace the XL7. And Suzuki (the company, not dealers) has been telling the media about its upcoming products. I believe there are TWO GM DAT products coming (Reno and another) as well as assorted other Suzuki and GM DAT products through 2007.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Dealers...you can't tell what they say is right!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i like the idea of Saturn having a big brother to the Vue since its been quite a good selling vechicle..but REX if you read this and if you have a possible picture or more pics of the Torrent can u send it to [email protected]x rex keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Feb 5 2004, 04:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Feb 5 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-saber11@Feb 4 2004, 10:28 PM
This vehicle will be co-designed by Suzuki, GM is producing what was called a View stretch for Suzuki for the asian market.  The same person who was Vehicle Line Director for Vue, Equinox, Torrent, is already working this project and has been meeting with Suzuki engineers in Japan.
That's interesting...since Lambda began as a collaboration between GM and SUBARU. [/b][/quote]
hey i know lets give everyone a piece of the pie. why suzuki??why why why??????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts