GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
44,167 Posts
ibechip said:
So I was a little bit off on that one. You must admit tho that the Escalade looks a lot like a Chevy SUV on the outside. Yet I don't hear many complaints about how this is blatant badge engineering.
It's not so much a rebadge on the outside... but it's pretty blatant inside... aside from the leather used on the seats. And yes... you certainly do hear about it in the press, but mainly on the interior.

The 9-7 does a relatively decent job on exterior and a far better job on the interior and supposedly the materials too. But the real changes are in the chassis, suspension, etc. It might not be the best solution, but seeing as no one has driven the vehicle yet.... I don't see how anyone can really make a decision otherwise other than looks.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
ibechip said:
So I was a little bit off on that one. You must admit tho that the Escalade looks a lot like a Chevy SUV on the outside. Yet I don't hear many complaints about how this is blatant badge engineering.
You need to open your ears up a little. There are plenty of complaints, including from me, about how the Escalade is a badge-engineered Chevy/GMC. However, most people ignore the exterior because the INTERIOR is the more shameful example of badge engineering. The Escalade interior is nothing but a 1500 Silverado/Sierra dash done in fancier-looking materials and with wood generously applied.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Screw Lutz and all the overpaid GM SUITS and their BULLBLEEP. Moan, bitch, fight, argue, blah blah blah. It all comes down to market share. How many vehicles are you selling? I keep seeing GM's market share falling. As Walter Cronkite used to say. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT IS, GOODNIGHT. First Lutz gave us the 9-2 SAABARU now it's the 9-7 CHEVYRU. Harley Earl is turning over in his grave. He wants to come back from the dead, claim he never worked for GM design and kill himself. EVOLUTION. GM 1965............Leading the automotive world...... GM 2005..........Gereral Morons.

·
Premium Member
34,380 Posts
GM_Guy81 said:
Is this thing perfect? No. But its pretty **************** good for what they had to work with. All this crap about a saab soul drives me crazy to no end. Even saab people arent buying saab cars! 25% of saab customers go look at other things because they want an SUV. Who exactly are they saving the brand for if saab people wont even buy them because the company doesnt offer something in the segment they want. At least thing this will retain some of that 25%. I swear some of you people are so self righteous it makes me sick. Do any of you who complain about it not being saab enough actually own a god **************** saab? i doubt it.

We are Car Nuts We have something called opinions. Remember, our friends come to us for opinions on the car to buy, we are GM's gate keepers... They do not make us happy, they do not sell. simple as that.

Now, they should kill this saab and make a REAL saab...
At least give this car the upcoming 9-3X rear window and lights treatment. door handles.. the little things especially by suppliers.. parts bin issues....are what will make a Saab a SAAB.. not a grill.... Dual exhaust too.. a Turbo and a real European interior, not this American supplied interior. Why did they not build the thing in Europe on the same plartform...
GM is run by sick people

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I like it. Mgescuro pretty much said it for me. I think that they have done all they could and still maintain a price point. I've never owned a Saab before, but I've caught myslef looking.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Considering the level of equipment that is offered along with the engine choices, there are much better vehicles in this category. Studies show that potential buyers are beginning to do their homework and no 360 clone is going to fool half of them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
slaughter58 said:
They didn't make a "great Saab" as Lutz claims. In my opinion, they made a great "what Buick should have been" since Buick is supposed to be the "American Lexus".
The nail has been hit on the head!! This is what the Rainer should have been!

The 9-7X does not fit the SAAB profile. GM missed the mark on it if you ask me. What they should have created was something like Ford and BMW did with the XC90 and X3. Those are SUVs that fit the brand's character. While the Trailblazer is a good SUV, it just does not fit the SAAB bill. Someone over at GM has a woody for rebadging, and all their going to to is dilute every brand name they have....

Now my question is whether GM will sell the 9-7x in Europe? Probably not.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
giagastormer said:
Linear starts at $38,270

Arc starts at $40,270

Both come with ALOT of standard equipment.
So does its competition. In fact, I'd say that the 9-7X's competition has more standard equipment. When one buys a luxury vehicle, they don't want a "twin" of a lesser vehicle that isn't exactly the best in the comfort, luxury, or safety department. Why do you think the LX470 is failing? You can get an equally-equipped Land Cruiser for almost 20K less! If this is how GM wants to run Saab then I can honestly say that I could care less about Saab in the future. I liked the 9-3, but the 9-2X and 9-7X reflect none what-so-ever of Saab's new "keep your identity" commercials.

mgescuro said:
And personally, I think the Volvo SUVs are ugly as sin.

Thing is... the 9-7X isn't a luxury crossover. it's a truck-like SUV. So it's competition is the M-Class and LR3.
The Volvo XC90 may not be the best-looking vehicle in its class, but it does what it's supposed to do: retain legendary Volvo safety. How can Saab trumpet having a safe vehicle lineup when their SUV (remember, SUVs are the causes of most accidents these days) lacks 2 VERY important safety features: side-impact airbags and an IIHS rating of "Good." Also, where's the active head restraints that Saab advertises? And if this isn't a luxury crossover but indeed a truck-like SUV, then why not get a Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, or Isuzu Ascender? I sure know that Mercedes isn't marketing the new M-Class as a truck-like SUV, but in fact as a luxury SUV. Same goes for the Land Rover LR3.

I'm pleased with having the Vortec I-6 as one of the engines, though I wish there was a turbocharged engine in the 9-7X. But why is there a pushrod V8? I like pushrods and they make great engines, but I don't want a pushrod in my 40K "luxury" SUV. How is that to compete against the ultra-smooth V8s from the LR3, ML500, and X5 4.4i? But again, that is a very small nitpick that I can overlook.

The interior, I do like. They changed a lot of minor details including the window switches on the door. Plus, the leather and contrasting stitches look very luxurious. But yet again, we see the same GM radio from 2000. It's a nice interior overall, but it doesn't stand out at when compared to the competition.

Now it's not so much that I 'hate' the 9-7X, but that I hate the fact that GM spent valuable time and development money on it. They already have the SRX targeting midsize luxury SUVs, and the Rainier and Envoy targeting premium midsize SUVs so why must we have another? I'd rather have GM spend that money no matter how little or how much it was on a brand-new Saab 9-5 and make it CLASS-LEADING.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Monza V8,

The 9-7x isn't destined for anywhere except North America. Same with the Saaburu.

I've offered my services to Bob Lutz to turn Saab around, but so far he hasn't emailed me back. My latest call has been for Saab to get back into rallying. Can you imagine a pumped up 9-7x winning the Paris-Dakar Rally?? I can.

I'll keep on posting. Maybe Bob will listen eventually.

I've just got to try this smily: :bounce:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owned a Saab 95 SE and based upon my experience to make the 9-7 a true Saab they will have to make it very unreliable and design defects in the dash, hvac and brake systems to ensure it needs at least 2 grand in repairs every year. For me the less Saab like the better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You know, I have to say I am considering the Saab. Here's why...

Compared to the other Euro badged trucks, it is cheaper and a bit bigger, good looking and it has a v8, it has the Euro-luxo feel that lil' missy is looking for AND it is built here in the U.S. with no bizarre tech. Guaranteeing that the mechanical repairs, when needed, will be fairly reasonable and most anyone can perform them.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Does anyone know if Saab will get it's owe vehicle that's not a rebadge something or other????? Saab needs to get a REAL halo vehicle that is exclusively SAAB!
If GM can't give Saab what it is due than let the nameplate fade into history.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Stag said:
You know, I have to say I am considering the Saab. Here's why...

Compared to the other Euro badged trucks, it is cheaper and a bit bigger, good looking and it has a v8, it has the Euro-luxo feel that lil' missy is looking for AND it is built here in the U.S. with no bizarre tech. Guaranteeing that the mechanical repairs, when needed, will be fairly reasonable and most anyone can perform them.

What about the Volvo Xc90?

drew770 said:
Does anyone know if Saab will get it's owe vehicle that's not a rebadge something or other????? Saab needs to get a REAL halo vehicle that is exclusively SAAB!
If GM can't give Saab what it is due than let the nameplate fade into history.

Saab can get its own vehicle if GM would just let them tweak the design of the current platforms. They are just too similar to be different. Most people blur the lines of platform sharing and rebadging. GM does alot of rebadging(like the 9x-7), and sometimes have good platform sharing(like 9-3 to malibu). Platform sharing when done right can create winners. Look at what ford is doing over there with the Volvo S40, the Mazda3, and the Euro Focus. All share platforms, but all also look different.

·
Registered
747 Posts
SonicAerio said:
Saab can get its own vehicle if GM would just let them tweak the design of the current platforms. They are just too similar to be different. Most people blur the lines of platform sharing and rebadging. GM does alot of rebadging(like the 9x-7), and sometimes have good platform sharing(like 9-3 to malibu). Platform sharing when done right can create winners. Look at what ford is doing over there with the Volvo S40, the Mazda3, and the Euro Focus. All share platforms, but all also look different.
Look different inside and out. And drive different too.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the 9-3 and wished Saab had more models like that, but it looks like the next gen 9-3 will get a wash as well do to global platform sharing(9-3 is a heavily modified Malibu/G6 platform) It's funny how the 9-3 is their best selling model, yet GM doesn't relize what Saab (or really any GM brand) really needs. The 9-2 could of been a winner if they just had a little more time to tweak the interior. I think the exterior is very Saab as well as the turbo engine, but interior is too Suburuish. GM let that one slip through their hands. The 9-6 is luckily getting some updating. Now you have the 9-7 which is a good attempt at a Saab, but not good enough. A little more could of been done to the interior to loose the trailblazer look, and instead of a V8, it might of been wiser to do a s/c 6 like what's going to be in the H3(I think). Also the rear looks like a trailblazer with altezzas. GM can create great cars if they just invest the time and money, and not do things to be just good enough. Its sad to see the state that Saab is in. I was thinking about the 9-3 being my next car, but I have a feeling, that this beautiful original car won't be around in a couple years.

Not to be pessimistic on what GM does, but what's next?
I bet in a year or so there will be a Saab 9-1 that is based of the chevy Aveo, to appeal to people in the economy class that want to have a "state of independence" :rotf:

This could actually work if they spent time and resources on it. Maybe a turbo 1.6? Sell it for 15-18k :ponder:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, I dont know if this has been said already, but I have heard that people are complaining about the 9-7x having a dash mounted ignition switch. I have just looked at the saab website, and the thing has the ignition switch in the console. So, all of you people who were complaining about it not have a console ignition need to look closer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
snoopy.vs.the.red.baron said:
Ok, I dont know if this has been said already, but I have heard that people are complaining about the 9-7x having a dash mounted ignition switch. I have just looked at the saab website, and the thing has the ignition switch in the console. So, all of you people who were complaining about it not have a console ignition need to look closer.
The 9-2x has the dash-mounted ignition, not the 9-7x, you're absolutely correct. At least the interior of the 9-7x is Saab-themed...

PS Sonic: The 9-3 is a terrific car. My father leased on this month and loves it so far.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts