GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get your wallets ready guys, Lutz revealed that the Volt will cost around $40,000( $10,000 off target).

Bob Lutz revealed to the Seattle Times that the price point for his company's Chevy Volt series hybrid electric vehicle will be $40,000, or around $10,000 more than originally estimated. Lutz also told the paper that the first-generation of the Volt would generate no profit for General Motors.
Autoblog

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Still worth it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You have to start somewhere

Give it a few years, the price will come down. Also, competition from other auto makers will bring that price down.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Hopefully the economy will rebound and the foreclosures, etc. will stop, or $40,000 will be out of reach financially -- or at least psychologically -- for most Americans. The Prius will come in at around half that, last I checked...

I'll wait for the Beat/Matiz/Whatever, and a strong GM commitment to bring the U.S. market affordable, ultra-fuel efficient cars -- gas engines, mild-hybrids, it doesn't matter to me as long as I can get a little commuter for around or under $15K without going to Toyohondassan. Class leading fuel economy - a hatchback or wagon design - something like a Honda Fit...but not a Honda (and a little less dorky looking). Likewise, Suzuki needs to get with the program and offer the small cars it makes best here in the U.S.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Competition will not bring the price of a car like the Volt down. Only success will. Especially since they're not making money on it at 40k.

Yes, but more manufacturers of batteries, better technology, and lack of exclusivity will force them to lower the cost. Also, 4 other car manufacturers building the same car for cheaper will force some pricing changes as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hopefully there will be good sized tax incentives to help get these rolling... time for the greenies to put their money where their mouth is.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't forget about government incentives/rebates that should be on the car.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Great idea for a car but to reach the masses 40K is just too steep for essentially a compact car. I hope it succeeds, I really do but wow I was not thinking 40K.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I guess GM has learned absolutely nothing from Toyota. They sold the Prius at a loss for years and look what it's done for their image. Now every car or truck they sell is perceived as having best-in-class fuel economy.

$40K? Forget it. I'll just keep whatever I'm driving at the time.

Unless maybe, just maybe, GM is throwing that out there to encourgae Toyota to charge a lot for whatever plug-in they come up with. Then GM steps in with a $30K price tag and dominates. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
regardless if the volt goes 40 miles without gas, paying $40,000 for a Chevy on the Delta platform is gonna be a hard sell.... the only way this will be a complete success is if the interior is near-CTS standards in materials and features....

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Told you so.

That was far from unexpected... about as surprising as seeing the sun rise successfully tomorrow morning.

Same with the "GM won't make any money on it" part. Could anyone really have expected anything different?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Wow, $40,000! Now everyone that needs high mileage vehicle at a affordable price will still buy a Prius! At $40,000 that will out price most people that are worried about great MPG's!
Don't worry, it will probably sell as well as the hotcakes $50,000 Tahoe Hybrid.

As everyone well knows, $40k+ is the heart of the "I don't want to pay too much for gas" market.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
material cost and labour cost are rising. only volume will bring tech cost down. competition will not, especially since toyota is building their own battery.

i just hope it doesn't become a slave to fashion - which raises cost and lowers performance. it needs to be ultra functional.

a corsa with bas 1.3L ctdi gets better than 70 mpg, and gm could import it next year at half the cost of a volt. opel put out such a concept earlier this year. their superlight opel eco speedster averaged 113 mpg AT 140 mph!:eek:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hopefully the economy will rebound and the foreclosures, etc. will stop, or $40,000 will be out of reach financially -- or at least psychologically -- for most Americans. The Prius will come in at around half that, last I checked...

I'll wait for the Beat/Matiz/Whatever, and a strong GM commitment to bring the U.S. market affordable, ultra-fuel efficient cars -- gas engines, mild-hybrids, it doesn't matter to me as long as I can get a little commuter for around or under $15K without going to Toyohondassan. Class leading fuel economy - a hatchback or wagon design - something like a Honda Fit...but not a Honda (and a little less dorky looking). Likewise, Suzuki needs to get with the program and offer the small cars it makes best here in the U.S.
Agreed. Small, economical cars are better than hybrids on fuel. The Volt is priced just right for Ed Begley, Jr., and other Hollywood environmentalists.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
But remember, GM will pump all this money into advertising that the Volt will be priced at $39,995 and then the following year jack the price up to $42,000 and look the other way.

GM likes to do that.
GM: OMG EVERYBODY WE ARE SELLING OUR VEHICLES AT A GREAT PRICE!!!!!!!
*cue the smoke and mirrors*
POOF!!!!!
Public: Holy crap, this is only the second model year and it is a lot more expensive than last year!
Solstice $19995 -> $21995
H3 $29995 -> $31025
G8 GT $29995 -> $31365

Better get smart GM, "Joe Public" knows you pull this crap all the time and we don't like it. Be smart and drop the price of the Volt by $5000. You're not making money on it anyways.... lose a little to gain a lot.

It's called "taking calculated risks in order to gain high rewards."

1 - 20 of 170 Posts