GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the July Racecar Engineering magazine did a spread on the Aston Martin powered B08/60 Lola LMP1, and how it won the gasoline division. I thought it would be brilliant to take the LS7R and put it in the same chassis and go racing. August's RE (p.5) mentions that Chevrolet is indeed considering racing in LMP1 with the production engine.

the C6R beat the Aston Martins in GT1, and they should give them stiff competition in LMP1. It would also give Corvette/Chevrolet the opportunity to have an overall win at Le Mans without having to build a super exotic mid-engined production Corvette. With the possible death of EVO, LMP1 is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Unfortunately Aston has beat Corvette Racing at LeMans the last 2 years.

A Corvette engine in a Lola chassis is the easy way to go in order to race in LMP-1, but then you're only a Lola-Chevy or a Riley-Chevy not an actual Corvette. That would defeat the world wide image the Corvette Brand has gained from their success in ALMS and at LeMans. Rule changes in FIA GT racing are about to make a complete restructuring of Corvette Racing necessary any way. I hope the present financial situation will still allow the team to participate under the new rules, and maybe compete in LMP-1 with an actual GM entry. And in GT-2 with factory supported entries. It would be a shame to waste the good will and respect Corvette Racing has earned.

5,934 Posts
GM has stated their goal is to win Le Mans out right. That more than likely means an LMP1 car. True they could go with either a Lola or Riley chassis, but true, that could water down the victory. This year in ALMS however, the supposedly less competitive LMP2 cars have taken a few wins. So GM could be competitive in an LMP2 car.

How many chassis builders are out there?

And, would GM race the LMP1 car as Corvette, or simply a Chevy. The Audi TDI R10 and Peugeot P1 cars are simply powered by Audi and Peugeot.

Not sure if Riley, maker of the DP cars for the Rolex Series, could ramp up to make an LMP1 car. Could Pratt/Miller do it?

Chevrolet winning LMP1 works for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts