1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM vehicle line executive for small cars
By MICHAEL VAUGHAN
Globemegawheels.com

Vaughan: Compare under the skin, the architecture of the Cobalt compared to the Cavalier, the car it replaces.

Queen: Well, the Cavalier was an evolution from many, many years ago. As all the safety standards and the new requirements come along, it would be really difficult to continue to bring that architecture forward and be competitive when you look at where everybody else is going. So we worked with GM Europe, the Opel side of the business, because their cars really have been known for their ride and handling characteristics. We worked on developing an architecture that would build in the new General Motors bill of process that we've pretty much converted all our assembly plants to. We developed an architecture that we call lower dominant and that gives us a really good fundamental structure for the vehicle and that also gives us tons of flexibility to do skins on the upper so that we can do two doors, four doors for different vehicles and still have ride and handling and structure.

Vaughan: So you're telling me you have to have Cobalt derivatives. Coupes, convertibles, station wagons?

Queen: We're introducing the Cobalt with a full family already. We have a coupe and a sedan and they're very differentiated. Today, if you look at a Cavalier, it's a two door and a four door and they both look a lot alike. The coupe and sedan for the Cobalt are completely different in the rear, they have completely different personalities, different ride and handling, different H points in terms of how you sit in the vehicle, the roof line is higher in one than in the other. So we think we've really given you a different feel. Plus, we have some awesome engine combinations.

Vaughan: There are people who argue that the Big Three just can't cut it in small cars and say, 'Leave the low end to the imports and make the money on the monster SUVs and stay out of the small cars.'

Queen: If you're going to be a full-line manufacturer, which General Motors clearly is, you have to have everything and you can't just walk away from a huge segment like small cars. It's just too big a piece of the market and it's too important for bringing customers in and developing brand loyalty.

Full Uncut Article Here

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 17 2004, 08:14 PM
Vaughan: So you're telling me you have to have Cobalt derivatives. Coupes, convertibles, station wagons?

Queen: We're introducing the Cobalt with a full family already. We have a coupe and a sedan and they're very differentiated.
answer the question dammit! man, some of these people run around questions so much i get dizzy!

"no, vaughn, at this point we do not plan a wagon or convertible" or "yes, vaughn, it is very possible that in the future we will expand the lineup". see mrs. queen, that wasn't too tricky!

5,934 Posts
I think GM definitely has the skee'ows to take on Corolla and Civic. I mean, even Kia and Hyundia have taken a bite out of that market.

As long as the Cobalt has the interior and "feel" thing going for it, it will do o.k.

Changing the public perception of GM is not going to happen over night. It DID take about 10-15 years for the Amercian auto consumer to "get sold" on the Japanese producers, don't forget that. It will take time to win them back. Solid, kic-a$$ products will do that.

If GM makes producing kick-a$$. quality vehicles a part of "what they do", then they will be back in the game. The entry level market is an important segment, so the Cobalt may be more important than we think.

I'm sure GM has some products in the pipeline which will make the neighboors drool.

:mf_boff:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that interior looks damn fine. The steering wheel all by itself is much better than that goofy thing GM uses now in things like the maliblew.

As long as there isn't any of that cheap, hard plastic crap anywhere it will be an improvement.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 17 2004, 08:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 17 2004, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Jun 17 2004, 08:14 PM

Queen: We're introducing the Cobalt with a full family already. We have a coupe and a sedan and they're very differentiated.
answer the question dammit! man, some of these people run around questions so much i get dizzy!

"no, vaughn, at this point we do not plan a wagon or convertible" or "yes, vaughn, it is very possible that in the future we will expand the lineup". see mrs. queen, that wasn't too tricky! [/b][/quote]
No, the correct answer is:

"I didn't say that, Vaughn."

Because she didn't. And you all know she's not allowed to give away future plans. And she shouldn't.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I think Cobalt would work nicely as a compact convertible. Cheaper than Solstice; sold to people who just want a soft riding convertible but doesn't quite have the bucks for a Solstice or Miata. Opinons, anyone?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Didnt the sunfire convertable sell pretty well? My older brothers GF used to have one. I dont see why a cobalt convertable wouldent sell well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That would be cool if Chevy had a Cobalt convertible because all Chevy has for convertibles is the ssr, corvette, and the Tracker-well last year. The Tracker sucks, the corvette is only a roadster, and the same with the ssr.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Convertibles ruin cars.......maybe not sales, but ruin cars.

Just when you think a VW Bug can't be more of a chick car......oops there goes the vert top.

I've never been a fan of verts, studies show women go for verts men go for power. Well what can I say....power!

Also a 4dr vert think about it. Yuck! :flush:

I think the PT vert is ugly, so don't use that as proof.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Well, lucky for you you're not obligated to buy one!! But like you said, women like them, and they do make up over 50% of the population.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Mestizo@Jun 18 2004, 06:47 AM
I've never been a fan of verts, studies show women go for verts men go for power. Well what can I say....power!
crazy women... next thing you know they'll want to vote too! sheesh!

:blink:

i'd take the solstice in rainbow stripes if i had to! a 'vert done right is awesome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Jun 18 2004, 01:56 PM
crazy women... next thing you know they'll want to vote too! sheesh!
Finally someone gets it.....I thought I was taking crazy pills.....haha j/k

I should have said performance over power.

I'm just not a fan of paying a few grand more for a car that some knucklehead will take a knife and slice up your canvas top just to make his weekend better.

Think about it.......if you're a thief the easiest way to steal your car, stereo, or anything inside the car....is with a vert top. A few slices here and there......abra cadabra..instant access.

You don't need electronic keys, coathangers, or any technology just a good knife. Also don't you have to maintain the leather/canvas top, so it doesn't flake?

Just not practical or worth the money to me.

Lastly if the top were to stay down 100% of the time I don't mind chop-tops, but that canvas/leather roof looks pretty goofy when it's not in cruise-mode.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
well when you put it that way! hahaha!

i can see how it wouldn't be worth the money or very practical in many cases (i don't own a convertible), but i can totally understand the appeal of a drop-top. i hadn't thought of the theft/vandalism angle, but no vehicle is really immune. someone might be keying your tricked out aveo right now! guess a slashed top is worse than a scratch, but since we can't stop people from being jerks, if i had the money i'd be cool with a nice 'vert. and something like the hardtop G6 'vert coming eventually kinda addresses the soft-top issue. though i bet the price will make you gag!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think GM has a winner on its hands. Im glad they are finally making interiors that look like something you want.

Is it me or does the back of the four door look a little like a neon?

·
Registered
48 Posts
With that white dot in them, they look like upside down 01 Civic sedan lights.

Or even a Corrolla light without the orange.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Cobalt: Nice inside, outrageously bland and ugly (four door). If GM can get people to look at this car, it might sell once people get inside. I haven't sat in one yet (the quality might be a problem if the ION from Saturn is any indication to GM's commitment to interior design execution).

Not a great car and definitely not enough to take on the people who shop for Japanese cars. Not significantly better than a Focus except in the one model with boy racer wing and engine tweaks. Focus has more model variations with the wagon and has had its teething pains eliminated. Chevy will need a few years to debug their Cobalt.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Jun 18 2004, 04:08 PM
Cobalt: Nice inside, outrageously bland and ugly (four door).
Yeah...it sucks when the imports are so much more bedazling on the outside! GM has to really keep up!! Man, did you see that new civic with thoes new headlights! WOW, That car just looks fast standing still!!
Or the new focus!? They took the coolness right out of it, and slapped some boring, dull lines along with a shoddy interior into it! BUT ITS GOT A SPORTS SUSPENSION SO IT ROCKS HARD CORE!!!

Please. The Cobalt looks a lot better the half of the cars out there. The new Focus has been dulled down inside and out, and uses the last generation Focus chassis while everyone else gets a new one. But yeah..the Cobalt doesnt have anythign on the Focus...well, better engines. Oh, better quality. Oh probably better handling.
But the Focus has a wagon... yeah, Ford wins. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
My basic beef is GM is always following. GM must take the Chrysler route and put caution aside and go for it (Chrysler 300). Seems to be working out for Chrysler. The Cobalt coupe is a nice car but look at the new Scion TC. It looks like a coupe but is actually a hatchback. That is a very practicle feature. It is going to be very well equiped and probably cheaper. It comes with the 2.4 engine as does the Cobalt but instead of supercharging the 2.4 in the Cobalt SS version you get a smaller engine, WHY? In the TC you can get a supercharged 2.4. With the Japanese they are always thinking. As I said I like the Cobalt but if you want to jump ahead of the pack you must be the innovator if you want that market share back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.