Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,108 Posts
Link to an interesting article:

It appears the simulated testing underestimated the grueling conditions confronted in the real world race course. Hopefully, the production model trucks will not be called upon to endure such demands.
Mall crawlers.
But don't feel bad, Lordstown.
Most Jeeps and Land Rovers live their whole lives on pavement, too.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,621 Posts
LMAO. This just goes to show that electrics may be fine for the city life or highway cruising, but put to the test like this where actual strain and stress are involved they wont cut it. Just like say , in heavy earth moving equipment or other construction and heavy industry or farm equipment. This fully electric life the greenies/snowflakes dream about is a long ways off and at the current state may not even be possible.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Mall crawlers.
But don't feel bad, Lordstown.
Most Jeeps and Land Rovers live their whole lives on pavement, too.
True, but this just goes to show that when the going gets tough even for these, that electric wont handle it.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Hmmm. Ya mean, there's a difference between computer models and the real world? Say it ain't so, Joe!

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago, I posted my daughter 16" bike on Facebook Marketplace, as she's grown enough to ride her 18" bike, anyway a guy reaches out to me the other day, and say he would like to pick it up after work, and could I meet him somewhere. I asked him where he works "Haggerty and 12 Mile" I said, OK cool, I'm pretty close to there, how about we meet at he McDonald's in the 12 Oaks Mall Parking Lot (which is about 3 miles from my house and 2 miles from his office) at 4:30.

The guy gets out of the car, and he is wearing Lordstown Motors Jacket, I said "hey I was just reading the article about the Baja Race", he said, "Yeah we are having challenges with range, like everybody else".

So this got me thinking.............. "How big is the BIG/Heavy Hummer EV going to be; how far will it go, will an overnight charge on 110 volts get you more than 10 miles of range?"

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago, I posted my daughter 16" bike on Facebook Marketplace, as she's grown enough to ride her 18" bike, anyway a guy reaches out to me the other day, and say he would like to pick it up after work, and could I meet him somewhere. I asked him where he works "Haggerty and 12 Mile" I said, OK cool, I'm pretty close to there, how about we meet at he McDonald's in the 12 Oaks Mall Parking Lot (which is about 3 miles from my house and 2 miles from his office) at 4:30.

The guy gets out of the car, and he is wearing Lordstown Motors Jacket, I said "hey I was just reading the article about the Baja Race", he said, "Yeah we are having challenges with range, like everybody else".

So this got me thinking.............. "How big is the BIG/Heavy Hummer EV going to be; how far will it go, will an overnight charge on 110 volts get you more than 10 miles of range?"
That's a good one. I think the real world results are going to be shocking to a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The truck is not well developed
The Concept is not well developed. EV might be fine as a Commuter, but those of "Us" that use a Truck, well, we will still need a Truck. For my commute to work however, I could get by with a Smart 4-2. How much is the Actual EV savings over a 4-2? How much Cleaner is it for the Environment? (Coal Fired Electricity, Used Up Battery Packs, Mining for Lithium, Black Out from already stressed Infrastructure.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Concept is not well developed. EV might be fine as a Commuter, but those of "Us" that use a Truck, well, we will still need a Truck. For my commute to work however, I could get by with a Smart 4-2. How much is the Actual EV savings over a 4-2? How much Cleaner is it for the Environment? (Coal Fired Electricity, Used Up Battery Packs, Mining for Lithium, Black Out from already stressed Infrastructure.)
Nailed it. Too many unanswered questions. The proponents of electrics spend too much time talking to each other (most often on boards like this) and not enough time with the three dimensional people.

I like the basic concept of the simplicity of an electric, but it all falls to the battery and I'm not convinced that the present generation battery or any in the visible future are capable of achieving the universal acceptance some are pushing for. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but the three dimensional people I hang out with are pretty certain that an electric isn't what they'll be shopping for any time soon.

I hope GM has a Plan B for when their traditional Cadillac buyers turn their noses up at an electrified Cadillac fleet.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
We're definitely not "there" yet. EVs are currently only good for commuting and putting around town. Putting them through their paces and the shortfalls present. That's why I've been saying that an EV truck needs to be able to tow for 300 miles and get 500 miles with normal duty. Anything less is not going to work for most truck buyers.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Nailed it. Too many unanswered questions. The proponents of electrics spend too much time talking to each other (most often on boards like this) and not enough time with the three dimensional people.

I like the basic concept of the simplicity of an electric, but it all falls to the battery and I'm not convinced that the present generation battery or any in the visible future are capable of achieving the universal acceptance some are pushing for. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but the three dimensional people I hang out with are pretty certain that an electric isn't what they'll be shopping for any time soon.

I hope GM has a Plan B for when their traditional Cadillac buyers turn their noses up at an electrified Cadillac fleet.
I'd say the proponents spend too much time in their government offices Centrally Planning for the peasants, having absolutely no concept of business, no experience in the private sector, no understanding of the market. They understand writing regulations, having pie-in-the-sky visions (all they need is some peyote) of zerzerozeroo future.

That is all delusional stuff, many of those folks need professional help. Megalomania is treatable.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Premium Member
34,349 Posts
You make very good points

·
Registered
20,668 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Interesting approach.....................

"There were a few times where there was no charger available. The team pulled the ID.4 around to use regenerative braking to recharge the vehicle enough to make it to the next charge location."

I assume the tow vehicle had an ICE?
This is BS marketing. In what other "race" is a vehicle allowed to be towed to "complete" the race?

It's "checkers or wreckers" elsewhere!

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Interesting approach.....................

"There were a few times where there was no charger available. The team pulled the ID.4 around to use regenerative braking to recharge the vehicle enough to make it to the next charge location."

I assume the tow vehicle had an ICE?
I think that's a safe bet, Ed. 🤑

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
What (idiot) company would just guess on the criteria they need, and throw their product out on a public race course for all to see (fail)? There are plenty of places to more privately test such a truck first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts