GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I realized my '79 K5 is gonna take about $2000 to properly repair the rusting floor boards, rocker panels, and floor supports, etc.. I could maybe spend less than $1000 to make it last another year or two, but I don't want to drop another penny in it. It's gotten me through 4 Iowa winter, so I'm declaring victory.

Anyway, so I'm now in the market for another used truck. About 2 years before I was hoping. I was hoping to get a used GMT-900 Sierra in a few years after the prices came down.

I was considering a Ford F-250, but I looked at a few Chevy's last weekend and in all honesty, I gotta have a Chevy. I'm a Chevy guy. Hell, I even got a 'Chevy Trucks' watch, for God's sake.

Here is what I'm looking at:
- I want to stay in the $10,000-$15,000 range, possibly up to $20,000.
<That narrows it down to a late 90's or early 2000s truck>
- Either a fullsize Silverado or Sierra, 4x4, extended/crew cab. May consider a Colorado/Canyon to save an gas.

My question, have any of you guys heard of any real major problems with any of these above listed trucks? 'GMCSonoma' may be the best guy to answer.

·
Super Moderator
21,185 Posts
Haven't heard of anything big myself, but asking GMCSonoma would be your best bet.
And there's plenty of good Sierra/Silverado 1500 Extended/Crew Cabs as well as Canyons/Colorados available on Autotrader for under $20k. It's what I do in my free time, see if I can find a new truck.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The only problems I have really heard on the 800's would be the steering shafts and the gauge clusters. But those seem to be only affecting (at least to my knowledge) my version of the 800's and not the earlier ones. O, and the tailgate straps but surely those would have been swapped out under the recall by now.

Now, with that said, these trucks are very reliable, but most of them have driven hard and abused daily. Make sure you check the truck over good and by a mechanic you trust.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Those (explative deleted) thermal actuators on the front end. I can't begin to explain how much I hate them, especially when it is -20, there is snow on the road, or worse you're in a ditch, and it won't engage. Get a cable kit, NAPA sells them as do most 4x4 shops, magazines, internet outfits.

The 4L60/65 trans. It likes big coolers, lots of fluid changes and no O/D unless over a constant 50mph.

Some GMT400 1/2 tons with 350s and towing have a 9.5 14bolt SF, clearly the best to get. Not sure on the 800s unless with the 6.0.

On the 8.5/8.6 10bolt, make sure that the oil transfer slots on each side of the center section (under the cover) are open. Then make sure that your RTV doesn't block the passages.

400s rot around the wheel house/bedside and in the cab corners.

The family had better luck with the 3/4ton C6Ps, but with gas prices...

I bet you can find a good deal on some used 400s or 800s just outside of Cedar Rapids in those silly little towns like Vinton and Independence...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Pre 1999, K series, Get a 350 vortec. There arn't a whole lot of teh Vortec 350s around, but they are deff a great engine. I have a 90 350 TBI, and Its literally bulletproof.

3rd door option (if you have to haul peoples... lol)

4WD (k series are all 4wd i believe?)

Rest is up to you.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I have a question for you New Mexico: How many of the vehicles in your signature do you currently own? All I can recall hearing about are the '79 Blazer, '72 Pickup, the Corvette, and the sold-off Camaro.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Some Dodge dealers are selling brand new 2008 Ram SLT 4x2 quad cabs for under $20,000 (about $13,000 off MSRP!). I think you should be able to get a newer truck than one nearly 10 years old if you shop around and take advantage of rebates and dealers wanting to clear out inventory.

Hopefully for GM's sake dealers aren't cutting prices 40% like that, but GM will have to keep up in the incentive war at least somewhat so the other manufacturers don't eat their lunch. Lower new truck prices mean lower used truck prices for you. :)

Good luck!

PS - I think BrickTamland is right about your sig - you got rid of the Z28, I think, and there's no mention of the C5 Z06.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Some Dodge dealers are selling brand new 2008 Ram SLT 4x2 quad cabs for under $20,000 (about $13,000 off MSRP!). I think you should be able to get a newer truck than one nearly 10 years old if you shop around and take advantage of rebates and dealers wanting to clear out inventory.

Hopefully for GM's sake dealers aren't cutting prices 40% like that, but GM will have to keep up in the incentive war at least somewhat so the other manufacturers don't eat their lunch. Lower new truck prices mean lower used truck prices for you. :)

Good luck!

PS - I think BrickTamland is right about your sig - you got rid of the Z28, I think, and there's no mention of the C5 Z06.
a dodge? GM of Ford. Dodge is just.... ack... IMO :)

I will never own a 4x2 again.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
If new ones are going for those prices, an '05 or '06 should be $10-12k.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
a dodge? GM of Ford. Dodge is just.... ack... IMO :)

I will never own a 4x2 again.
I'm not a big fan of the 08 Ram either - but the point was that if you can tolerate high gas prices, it's a great time to be buying a large pickup, because their market is rapidly dwindling.
If new ones are going for those prices, an '05 or '06 should be $10-12k.
Here's the snippet on this from this week's Automotive News:
For Dodge dealers, that has resulted in deals such as the ones offered in the Sacramento, Calif., area last week. Folsom Lake Dodge ran a newspaper ad that featured a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2 for $19,995 — $12,800 below the sticker price of $32,795. At Swift Dodge, also in Sacramento, $13,000 in discounts are offered on the same model.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Dodge isn't my favorite, but with those prices, they're hard to beat...

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice. If I was going to get a diesel I'd 'prolly go Dodge. But I think I'll probably stick with a gasoline engine and go Chevy, or GMC (I like the front end treatment on the '03-'07 GMC trucks).

What do you guys know about the 5.3 vs. the 5.7? I talked with a guy here in town who says the 5.3 has a broader torque range. And I might get better mpg.

True, I probably could get a newer truck for less than $20,000 but it will probably be 2WD and a standard cab. I need a 4WD for winter driving, and I would like an extended cab, since it is more practical (i.e. can pack more people in).

thanks for the advice.

Again, I was mainly searching for any major problems those years of Chevy/GMC have had. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
From my experience the 5.7's had much better torque at lower RPM's but the 5.3's start pulling a little higher up. I've always preferred a 5.7. My father in law just picked up a '96 extended cab maroon Silverado 2wd with 56,000 miles. Unfortunately it's a 5.0 vortec. So they are still out there, just keep looking. Check craigslist.org.

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the advice.

I have a question for you New Mexico: How many of the vehicles in your signature do you currently own? All I can recall hearing about are the '79 Blazer, '72 Pickup, the Corvette, and the sold-off Camaro.
Yep, you got it. That's my fleet. Traded in the SOM '02 Z28 last April for the Z06. I'm gonna keep the '72 C10. I love driving that truck! And hope to get rid of the '79 here this summer with something newer.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Thanks for the advice. If I was going to get a diesel I'd 'prolly go Dodge. But I think I'll probably stick with a gasoline engine and go Chevy, or GMC (I like the front end treatment on the '03-'07 GMC trucks).

What do you guys know about the 5.3 vs. the 5.7? I talked with a guy here in town who says the 5.3 has a broader torque range. And I might get better mpg.

True, I probably could get a newer truck for less than $20,000 but it will probably be 2WD and a standard cab. I need a 4WD for winter driving, and I would like an extended cab, since it is more practical (i.e. can pack more people in).

thanks for the advice.

Again, I was mainly searching for any major problems those years of Chevy/GMC have had. Thanks again.
The guy is right about the 5.3. The mileage is a little better. Granted it is not like going from a fullsize pickup to a compact car, but if you can swing a good deal on a GMT-800, having a newer vehicle with better economy are certainly good things. I did a search on Autotrader, and there are a good selection of GMT-800s around $10K that are extended cab 4WD models.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I appreciate all the advice.

Yep, you got it. That's my fleet. Traded in the SOM '02 Z28 last April for the Z06. I'm gonna keep the '72 C10. I love driving that truck! And hope to get rid of the '79 here this summer with something newer.
New_Mexico, you sure have a heck of a lot of cars for yourself! :)

Shouldn't you update your sig to show the Z06 instead of the Z28, though?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.