GM Inside News Forum banner

Looking to trade in accord

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  marinerbc 
#1 ·
After 25,000 miles on my top of the line 2006 accord I have to trade it in before I purposely total this thing. The car was nice when it came out had nice options not avaible in a good looking gm car at the time. (navi-led lights) But the more and more I see them the rear end is goofy looking and the car it self sucks. Does not like to start in winter time, shakes bad when stopping even though brakes where already re-placed, transmission hesitates to long going onto a highway, when it downshifts it does it hard and jolts the car. Honda has been no help with car. Iam looking at maybe a G8 or something more sporty and doesnt feel like something my grandmother would drive. I would like to find something before the warrentany ends. I drive to work 50miles each way 5 days a week so it has to be comfortable and reliable. I think GM is more reliable right now then honda is, and now gm has some nice looking cars. Iam open to any suggestions on a replacement car. I perfer to stay away from the malibu just because you cant get navi as a option. I dont to go over about $35k and it would be better if it didnt use premium fuel. Thanks in advance. One other question is the G8 gonna have a awd option as I do live in a area that snows and would like Fwd or awd.

#3 ·
You could try a Malibu. They're very comfortable from what I hear. It wouldn't be a big size difference from your accord either.

Edit: Oh. Didn't see that you didn't want one. I'd say the G8's your best bet, but it runs on premium...doesn't have Nav either.

#5 ·
You could get a 2008 9-3 Saab with FWD, cold wx package, premium package, auto trans (optional), and audio/nav/dvd package for $35,115.00 MSRP. $1350 of that is the tranny if you want to row your own.

#7 ·
I know you said you don't want one, but really the answer to your problem is right here:

Beautiful, comfortable, reliable and economical.
I agree, but add this too.

$440.00 Bluetooth Navigation and DVD. This you can't beat.

Link

Ahh, dang it, now I want one. Hmmm $440? I'll buy one when I get back to Colorado after my overseas contract ends in Hawaii.

#8 ·
Nice to see an Accord owner considering GM. Shows the gains GM is making.

I would say G8. Get the V8 6-speed manual. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with it's gas mileage. Since you drive mainly highway, you will 'prolly get comparable mileage to the Accord, plus it will look nicer (turn more heads), and have some good 'ole American torque when you want it.

Happy shopping!

#11 ·
I can't believe you said that about an 06 accord. I thought those were bullet proof, no joking here either. I was always impressed with that generation/styling of the accord and understood it had the best interior hands down of any car from that year...

nice to see you considering a GM, might you want to look into an SEL V6 Ford Fusion with AWD. Yes I love Chevy/GM as much as the next guy, but Fusion/Milan are *VERY* impressive IMO and definitely worthy of your consideration. They both got powertrain upgrades from this past year, 6speed auto, and offer AWD. Lincoln MKZ can be had for that kind of money if you like the styling.

Look into an Acura TL? I've always liked that car....alot!

Personally, for your needs I'd go with a CTS4 (AWD) 2008 model and try to get an import-trade-in deal on one. I priced one out for my mom about a month ago, they come in at ~36k but I'm sure you could work a deal with them.

Saab 9-3 offers XWD and its based on a FWD platform that is very sporty, safe, economical, and handles great!

Saturn Aura XR loaded with 6speed auto and HFV6. You can get 0% financing right now on them and they were 2007 North American Car of the Year. If you liked your Accord even a bit, but wanted a more BMW drive with some VW type-appointments (not quality, Saturn quality is very very good) then this *IS* your vehicle...

IS250/350 is a great option, great powertrains, don't know about AWD but very good vehicle.

328i should be on your list as well as A4. New C-class is interesting but depends on if you like the styling.

G37 seems like it could be up your ally too!!!!

If you want a G8, what about a Mustang GT?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Honestly, I would *ONLY* choose from these listed above according to your requirements.

Fusion SEL, Aura XR, TL, CTS4, 9-3, A4, and G8 would be my finalists if I were you. And I recommend TEST DRIVING ALL THE VEHICLES you might consider buying.

Do you want RWD or FWD? Luxury or more mainstream? Take your pick and choose your vehicle.

Regards and best of luck,

CobaltSS

PS: Let us know which way you are leaning and what happens!

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys. First off I really do like the maibu but right now my list would be this.

1. G8 GT-lack of awd option is keeping me away or CTS (no seen one in eprson yet, but online seems like a good car)
2. That equinox sport, which I havent seen in person but seems like a good deal.
3. Fusion or maybe escape or mercury versions of both of them.
4. malibu, would be higher up but I think price/option wise the other 3 are better. I could be very wrong though.

I would not consider a TL, if you ever hang around a acura/honda fourm many honda owners are very annoyed by the 7th gen accord because honda cant fix dozens of rattles in the car. If you drop the extra 5-7K to get a TL it will be the same rattle problems. I love the TL and the current deals on them but acura and honda doesnt seem to have any plans of fixing rattles even though its at the end of its body cycle. I fell into the theory that hondas are the best after having a lot of problems with my 01 grand cherokee. I now see that its a lie and hondas have problems.
Iam sad to say that I did even look at the 08 accord sedan- I looked online on the fourms and they as well have problems so thats off the list.

#14 ·
Fascinating post.

So in your opinion, since you were once in the "Honda is best" culure, what prevents them from looking at or considering other makes?

I mean, even I shop the other makes when I buy a car. They don't usually have better deals, but I've owned two Hondas and two Toyotas. None were better than what we drive now.

#16 ·
When I bought my accord I didnt really shop around. At the time all gm had was grandprix, G6, impala, last gen cts (rwd) and when I bought my accord toyota was still on the last gen camry as well. The accord made sense to me I didnt have alot of time to go looking around for weeks since I just moved and had a child recently. I figured people are always raving over the accord and figured I would Just play it safe and buy something that will last long with good resale value. Thank god for the good resale value cause Iam getting rid of it early. I know that you can find bad things about any cars online but since Ive had the problems in my car that is shown online iam gonna go with my gut and not get another at this point in time, maybe one day I will own one again I cant say for sure. This time I plan on taking my time and Iam now open to all car makes.

#19 ·
I appreciate your candidness, and prompt answer.

Perhaps it is our Society, (as I have long suspected) because we have so little time for things that we just go with what we see as the "Safe Bet".

I believe that the majority of car buyers buy a car because someone they know has one, and they have no desire to car shop. This is why Toyota is so phenomenally successful, while people near where I live are shocked when they learn that a CTS is a Cadillac, and a Malibu has a Bowtie on it.

I was stunned recently when my own mother (after she and my dad owned 11 GM cars in a row, along with a VW Jetta as a second car) suddenly wanted to trade her Saturn for a Honda Civic, because "June has one, and says she gets 30 mpg." The Saturn gets 32, and somehow 30 mpg is better than 32, all because June has a Honda.

So the Civic was 22,000 and the Cobalt LT at around $18,000. At least the price difference made the sale, and not her friend June.

#17 ·
I understand. What I said wasn't to get you to consider another Accord, it was to aide you in searching for other cars, because you find people having problems with all kinds of make and models. Just try to be aware of those things while looking into other vehicles. And good luck on the search. I hope your next vehicle is the right one for you.

#18 ·
The CTS is pricey but is amazing in person.
The G8's also a good bet, but no nav. system. It's very comfortable inside.
Equinoxes are good little crossovers...unless you get nsap's...:D
Don't know about Fusions except that one of my teachers has one and it's pretty nice.
I still say the Malibu would suit you well. You could just stick a dash mounted nav. system if you really need to, and Onstar can provide you with nav. if you prefer that route. It's a very nice car, comfortable and roomy, and doesn't sacrifice power for fuel economy.

#22 ·
The CTS is great........am not quite sure how much an AWD one would cost, but would venture to guess it might be a challenge to find one at or below $35K.

The G8 is also another great pick. It is RWD.....but Stabili-Trak + Traction Control should mitigate at least some of the difficulty that comes with wintertime driving.

Beyond that lies the Ford Fusion (AWD is an option) & the Taurus......then the Aura & Malibu.

I wouldn't normally recommend a Dodge, but if you can live with the rather spartan interiors, the Charger SXT (3.5L) and R/T (5.7L Hemi) both offer an AWD option, though as with the CTS, the R/T AWD might be hard to find at or below $35K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.