GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does GM make any fun little cars that are turbo or awd?

My brother has a '91 Eagle talon TSI (turbo awd)
and its a fun car to drive/race

I was wondering if GM makes/made any cars along the lines of a talon

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was going to mention WRXs (and Evo's, Audis etc.) but I wondered if he wanted a four door since he was asking about the Eclipse. But you are right, a WRX is a lot more car and is a partial GM.

Hey, wait. SAAB 9-2 is coming out soon. SAAB is GM and you get the same basic thing. That car is going to be sweet, I wish they would put the Turbo 2.5 in it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh I see thanks

Closest thing i found was an Isuzu Impulse rs... 1.6l DOHC turbo awd

but there arent many of them around...
and wrx's are a little far fetched... I was looking in the price range of $10,000 CDN or less haha

Oh well, thanx guys

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
You said turbo OR awd, well in the spring the Saturn ION Redline will be coming out - its supercharged, not turbo, though - but only 20K and it looks the part.

Click: http://www.modernracer.com/images/saturnio...coupefront1.jpg

There are some Turbocharged Sunbirds still out there at: www.j-body.org -- you might even find a used one for around 1000 bucks for a fixer upper.

The Isuzu Impulse is cool, but rare -- but a cheaply had Geo Storm might be retrofitted with a turbo engine if you could find a remanufactured one - since they were the same as the Impulse just rebadged....

There was a Turbo Trans-Am in the late 80's....

A 2000 Buick Regal GS might be cheaply had due to depreciation, and it is a kind of a sleeper with the supercharger and lower weight than other GM cars with that supercharged engine. It hardly looks fast & furious, but you might be able to change that...

Saab's 9-2 will kick butt...

The Pontiac G6 is supposed to be supercharged and the concept had AWD, but not sure if that will make it to the production car next summer.

But a used Pontiac Vibe AWD with expired warranty, and add a supercharger kit from GM.....

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
00-02 Cavalier Z24/Sunfire GT with a GMPP supercharger. That'd be the only thing you could do.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
They are FWD.
The Isuzu (essentially the same car) had available 4wd.
That's one of the things that kept Isuzu exclusive, and justified the higher price.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Well, probably not what you are looking for, but GM also offered Turbo versions of the Chevy Sprint and Pontiac Firefly in Canada. Three cylinders, intercooled turbo about 70 hp and better torque than the Suzuki Swift GT with the twin cam four.

These cars, when they are still around, are very, very cheap. They are also very light. I don't know how well the engines take more boost, but if they can be modded, you'd end up with a quick, fun little car for not much cash.

Not the coolest car in the world, if that matters to you, but could be a fun sleeper.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The Suzuki Aerio is a fun little AWD car, at least its an alliance partner with GM. :p

GM should find a way to offer the Vibe AWD with a supercharger. Right now they only warranty the FWD version.

Ah yes, and there is the upcoming Saab 9-2....basically a WRX, but a wholly owned brand of GM is offering it.

I'd love to see AWD implemented on a car like the Saturn ION Redline, but AWD adds weight... :(

Is the Pontiac G6 going to get AWD or not? I still haven't heard a concrete answer on this. I sure hope so, GM has teased us with this promise too many times.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear future models of the g6 may get awd, i sure do hope so!

saabs and subarus wrx's are too much money for me.. even used haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.