GM Inside News Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
For sure a T56 is more durable, but it costs more and is a more difficult swap. Calibrating the speedo for example. Besides, I already have a T5 and unless I drive like an a-hole, the LU5 shouldn't hurt it. The one I have is originally from an '84 Iron Duke, meaning it's packed with steep 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ratios. This should work well with my 2.93 posi.
Yeah, the T56 aint cheap, even used looking at a low end on craigslist of $1200 for trans and bell housing. The T5 should be fine behind a stock any V8 from the 80's. Those steep gear certainly would help with the 2.93 rear gear too.

I have an idea to one day build a 327 (LM7 based) T56 Gen 3 Camaro with a C4 rear and Gen 4 f-body front suspension. Stiffen up the Chassis with triangulated frame straps and a tower brace and it should be a fun little car with less than $8K total into the whole thing. Meh, dreams....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a 84 L69 HO with the Auto, it was a blast. Also had the Lear-Siegler Contour Camaro Seats, man those were really comfortable. I really liked the way the 1-2 shift would bark the rear end even stock. I ran a 9.7 sec 1/8 mile with it, seemed fast enough in the day. I agree with the other poster, I could easily pull away from Monte Carlo SS cars, and even did well with Mustangs of the day. I had Centerline wheels on it and it looked great. I never had ANY carb problems, but the coil died on me in VA one time. I sold if for a 88 IROC-Z with a TPI 350. Dual Cats, 3.27s, no T-Tops but most everything else. With K&Ns and a little timing and airbox work it ran 8.69 sec 1/8 miles with 1.93 60' times. Faster than most every other stock thing I street raced (stupider back then). Still love those cars, wish I had never sold any of the Camaros I've owned (see signature). I like seeing that yellow 85 Z284ever. I had a friend who had a yellow 85 L69, tried to buy it from him, the Camaro white book says that color was pretty rare, and they made very few L69s in 85. His was a 5spd manual, even more fun than mine to drive, still love the sound of that 4 barrel quadrajet opening and the hum the manifolds make!

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Agreed. The original plan was to use the Cavalier chassis since it replaced the Nova but wiser heads prevailed. This was really the first 'F body' since it was the first time it had a truly dedicated chassis instead of being a shorter Nova.
I don't think this is true. The Cavalier and 3rd generation Camaro both debuted in 1982. They weren't going to replace the Camaro using a chassis that was itself still in development.

I think you're thinking of the plan to move the F-bodies to FWD for the 4th generation (perhaps called the "GM-10" program, but not sure now. Prototype pictures do exist). They fortunately backed off that. Unfortunately, rather than a whole new RWD platform for 1993, they went with a [heavily] modifed 3rd generation chassis. Great chassis, but it led to too-big, outdated cars and their eventual demise after 2002 (before the 2010 rebirth).

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
My '84 HO had terrible vapor lock. Couldn't even run it up through the gears without it bogging. Found a article in hot rod about a TSB. The fix was an electric intake fuel pump. Fixed the problem.
Great cars Tony!

Those leather seats in your GTA looked great.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
My uncle still has a '87 Iroc Z 350 with 27k miles on it that he bought brand new. It sits in a heated garage and never moves. I'm a proud former owner of a '86 Z28 5-speed with the 305 TBI (what a dog) and a '85 305 TPI that was much better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I always thought the later year models of these cars were very attractive, particularly the '92 Trans Am (funny how GM always seems to make the last year model look the best and have some of the best features - i.e. '96 Impala SS).

Only problem with the early 3rd gens was that they would get smoked by just about any early 2nd gen Camaro or 1st gen Camaro with a 350. I remember a guy that lived on my street bought one of these in '83 or '84 (can't remember exactly - I was pretty young) with the 305 and he would get destroyed by another neighbor with a basically stock '71 Camaro with a 350/4.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I don't think this is true. The Cavalier and 3rd generation Camaro both debuted in 1982. They weren't going to replace the Camaro using a chassis that was itself still in development.

I think you're thinking of the plan to move the F-bodies to FWD for the 4th generation (perhaps called the "GM-10" program, but not sure now. Prototype pictures do exist). They fortunately backed off that. Unfortunately, rather than a whole new RWD platform for 1993, they went with a [heavily] modifed 3rd generation chassis. Great chassis, but it led to too-big, outdated cars and their eventual demise after 2002 (before the 2010 rebirth).
In a 1979 Motor Trend retrospective on the Trans Am, they show an artist conception of an '80's' Trans Am that is front drive. The logic would be that since the Camaro is based off the Nova, the next Camaro would be based off of the Cavalier. I am aware of the prototype front drive F cars. There was also the Ford Probe, which was supposed to be the Mustang's fwd replacement.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I remember a friend having a 83 or 84 Z28,it had slats on the hood that would pop up when you stump on the gas, what was that?

·
Super Moderator
14,194 Posts
I remember a friend having a 83 or 84 Z28,it had slats on the hood that would pop up when you stump on the gas, what was that?

Your friend had an '82 or '83 Crossfire with the functional hood flaps. My '83 is so equipped.

·
Super Moderator
14,194 Posts
Anyone remember the 1982 one minute 30sec 'Shadows' commercial?

I can't really say that GM spent it's marketing money wisely on this car's intro. Anyone remember "Ca...Ca...Camaroooo" ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Want <3 third gen
Do a retro redesign w/ third gen in mind

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
The big thing that came about around the time the third gens came out was aero and .cd(coefficient of drag), the firebird had a lower .cd but it came out later that Pontiac tested the car in the wind tunnel with 4-150lb bags of sand to simulate a fully loaded car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always thought the later year models of these cars were very attractive, particularly the '92 Trans Am (funny how GM always seems to make the last year model look the best and have some of the best features - i.e. '96 Impala SS).

Only problem with the early 3rd gens was that they would get smoked by just about any early 2nd gen Camaro or 1st gen Camaro with a 350. I remember a guy that lived on my street bought one of these in '83 or '84 (can't remember exactly - I was pretty young) with the 305 and he would get destroyed by another neighbor with a basically stock '71 Camaro with a 350/4.
My friend had an 80 Z28 350/4 barrel auto with a 2800 stall (dark gray with silver stripes/decals, very attractive car), i used to take him by a fender every time. top of first gear then we would just sit there. Telling you, those 84 L69's were special for that time (obviously not a GN fighter lol)but C4's of the day, any 5.0 mustang and every 5.0 Iroc, 5.7 GTA's were well within the L69's sights. The GTA's of the day were dogs, 5.7 Iroc's were a different story though..

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think it was rated at 200 on premium fuel
rated auto at 190 (no difference for manual but they would tend to be a bit quicker if you could drive obviously) check 3rd gen .org, camaro facts look up the specs, very informative in regards to third gens every year..

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
B4Z: You probably remember the cover of M/T with the red mustang gt on the cover and 0-60 in 6.9secs!
In real life no '82 mustang did it in 6.9 secs and the camaros were 9-10 second cars for the most part.

Agreed. The Mustangs were getting to 60 in the low-mid 7 second range, which was quick for its day. The '82 had only a relatively large 2bbl carb and it wasn't bad at all, but the next year power went up to 175 from 157 with the addition of a Holley 4bbl. I bought an '84 GT 5 speed convertible and was quite happy until the 210HP '85 was released with better seats, fog lights, power rear windows, 15" x 7" alloy wheels, Gatorbacks, etc. I sold my '84 to a friend and bought a new '85 convertible GT that was the same color scheme. That was the best of the Mustangs I owned. A couple years later I bought an '89 hatchback 5.0 LX with automatic and while it was not a bad car, it lacked the fun of a convertible with stick.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
BTW, remember the big analog clock in the center console behind the shifter? Or the dual needle speedometer that went to 85 MPH on one side and the corresponding metric speed on the other? Those things lasted only a year or so IIRC. I'm sure they seemed like good ideas at the time.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts