GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,197 Posts
Still a timeless design after nearly 30 years.

Yes, they were flawed, especially the first few model years (Iron Duke, anyone?) but no car had made such a quantum leap from one generation to the next (exception being C3 to C4 vette) either before or since.

These cars were a hoot to drive, and even today, still offer an outstanding example of pure handling without electronic nannies.
Yes, these cars were a quantum leap forward in many respects. And they are still fun to drive. I have three 3rd gens, and there is such an unfiltered purity in driving something without any of the electronic management new cars have.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Still a timeless design after nearly 30 years.

Yes, they were flawed, especially the first few model years (Iron Duke, anyone?) but no car had made such a quantum leap from one generation to the next (exception being C3 to C4 vette) either before or since.
I would think Ford going from a 1978 Mustang II to the 1979 Fox-bodied Mustang was at least as large a quantum leap. And the Fox bodied Mustangs spawned many additional Mustangs that continued in one form or another until 2005.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Boy that Camaro-mullet think just never stops being funny. Stand by for some comment about Camaro buying and ***** size.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Yeah, the mullet had yet to come into fruition in 1983. Most of the drivers of this car would have had long "headbanger hair". ;)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I loved my '84 Z28. The tight handling and low 3200-pound weight combined for a very fun-to-drive car. Despite the increased horsepower, the current Camaro just feels heavy and artificial to me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I understand the last of the line used structural adhesives in addition to welds for a stiffer structure -- or was that just the convetibles?
Every one uses adhesives now. It was a way to reduce assembly line costs. You can hang body panels much faster with adhesive than welding. Theorectically just as strong too. It also makes body repair much easier and simpler. No more banging on a 1/4 panel, just remove it and hang a new one. They still weld certain parts of the car but not like they used too.

Third Gens, while they look good (ones that have been taken care of), really were performance turds. Didn't the '82 model have 140 hp 305 V8 in it for it's high performance model? I think the last year model of this generation, 1992, only had a 245hp 350 in it. This probably explains their collector value, which is not much.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Every one uses adhesives now. It was a way to reduce assembly line costs. You can hang body panels much faster with adhesive than welding. Theorectically just as strong too. It also makes body repair much easier and simpler. No more banging on a 1/4 panel, just remove it and hang a new one. They still weld certain parts of the car but not like they used too.

Third Gens, while they look good (ones that have been taken care of), really were performance turds. Didn't the '82 model have 140 hp 305 V8 in it for it's high performance model? I think the last year model of this generation, 1992, only had a 245hp 350 in it. This probably explains their collector value, which is not much.
"Only" 245 hp in 1992? Back then that was quite a bit. The Mustang was stuck with "only" 260 hp in the GT till 2005. And that 350 also had 345 lb/ft of torque.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I had 4 3rd gens and 1 2nd gen. The first thing I did to both of my IROCs was take a blow dryer to the stripes and decals. They were awesome looking cars. My bright blue metallic IROC was apparently so well known locally that I had a bus driver a few months ago ask me if I was the guy who used to own the blue IROC. I sold it six years ago and it was not on the road much after 2003.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I had a '83 z28 for 3.5 months and put 6000 miles on it before I sold it to go back to college.
It rode so hard that there were several roads in my city that I would avoid like the plague.
At around 2500 miles it started squeaking and creaking.
My 84 wAs significantly nicer, was an HO with 3.73 gears and was a lot of fun. It was in the shop 17 times in 11 months and the dealer bought it back.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I think the last 2 years or maybe 3 years of production all camaros had structural adhesives to stiffen things up.the convertibles had additional bracing between the subframes. If you want to stiffen up a 3rd gen do the triangulated sub frame connectors. They do wonders.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
The convertibles had the so called "****tail shaker" oil filled weights on each corner of the unibody right? Or is that a myth of sorts.

Ford did a lot better with the 4 cyl Fox body Mustang than GM did with the Iron Duke. Was the 2.3L Lima that much better?

Oh and was structural integrity so bad that stock IROC Z's would visibly show a twist in their bodies when drag racing?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've got a soft spot for 3rd gens, as much as people crap on them. A great candidate for a LSx / 6-speed swap.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
When ford started doing the mustang 5.0 cop cars around '82-83 the CHp discovered that many of the unibodies were cracking at the floorpan under the seats and ford had to do a rush fix and possibly a recall. I don't remember.

The camaros and firebirds that were raced I'm SCCA had a lot of development work done on them (everybody knows about the 1Le cars) but what happened to a lot of race teams was that they actually had to go softer on their racing springs because the body was twisting so much that they had reached a point of no return.

My '87 IROC which I specifically ordered with no ttops for extra structurally rigidity had to have the bpillar and roof joint rewelded and brazed at 50,000 miles because there was a noticeable 45 degree crack.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
The 4cylinder fox mustangs were lighter so they were peppier than the 4 cylinder camaros. Friend had a 102 p v6 Camaro and it was a dog.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Wow, so many people bitching here that its a wonder camaro actually exists at all after the third gen! I owned two, an RS first, then an Iroc. Didn't keep either of them to experience the problems others express, but loved my T-type Iroc!

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
Wow, so many people bitching here that its a wonder camaro actually exists at all after the third gen! I owned two, an RS first, then an Iroc. Didn't keep either of them to experience the problems others express, but loved my T-type Iroc!
AND WAS ANY American cars 100% reliable in 82!

IMHO the camaro / Mustangs were as good as every thing else
I have owned both good ones and BAD ones

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've always loved the third gen IROC-Z body style. It's one of the few 80's cars that I would intentionally own (Fox body Mustang and Porsche 944 being the others). The C4 Vette is starting to grow on me though....

I owned a 1989 Camaro IROC-Z28 back in 2003 and loved the car (picked it up for $1500 from the dealer). It wasn't very fast but got me some speeding tickets anyway. Handling was nice and I was surprised to learn about it's low curb weight. But the 305 was a dog, especially down low and on the big end it seemed to want to fly apart. But I was young and I owned a Camaro, out right. I remember almost loosing to a Saturn SC2 in my Camaro. Ugh.

The torque arm is down right stupid, how many people went through tranny mounts because of such a poor design? They should've mounted it to the cross member....

I've got a soft spot for 3rd gens, as much as people crap on them. A great candidate for a LSx / 6-speed swap.
Speaking of this. I just recently started to price out a used (no motor or trans) Gen 3 F-Body. Something beyond the 20 year Emission law point. I was thinking a Carbed up LM7 bored .010 over with a nice cam and a T56 from a Gen 4.2 Camaro... That would be a nice little runner there..... I could find the car for $500, engine for another $500-600, trans for $1200, mods, welding etc. I coud probably build one for around $5-7K total..... Maybe one day I'll have that kind of scratch laying around....

21 - 40 of 122 Posts